Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times

[GUIDE] How to Clean Install Windows 10 and Install Drivers

I often help users who want to make a clean install of Windows 10 on their Transformer. There are a lot of mixed messages and confusing information on the internet about installing Windows. A lot of it doesn't apply very well to Windows 10. Even if it does, it wasn't written in the context of our Asus Transformers. I hope you find this educational if you are considering wiping your device and reinstalling Windows 10.

There are many reasons you might want to do this. Perhaps you want to free up space on your Transformer by shrinking the recovery partition. You may be seeing problems with Windows that you just can’t find a solution too. Maybe you are selling your Transformer and want to securely wipe it for someone new to set up. Well, this guide is for you!

This guide was written with the Asus devices in mind and contains some links and instructions specific to those devices. Some of them will need special drivers or additional tools to allow the process to go smoothly. The instructions in this guide were tested on my
    own T100TA and are applicable to all T100 and T200 models.

This is not a dangerous procedure, but I have to preface this guide with the following:
    I am not responsible if you misunderstand instructions I give here, if my instructions are wrong, if you forget to charge the battery and the tablet dies halfway through a flash or if your house goes up in flames…
    YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Remember that having patience is a key part of getting this right. You do not want to rush into this and make a silly mistake just because you didn't read properly.

Alright. Now with that out of the way let’s begin!

I am assuming that if you are following this guide you are OK with wiping your memory and restoring all your applications and files. You can choose to back up your stuff to the cloud, or a disk drive and restore it later. If you prefer to keep your files you can choose Reset Your PC from the Settings Menu in Windows 10.

There are two important things you will need for this process
    1. An empty USB drive with at least 4 GB capacity. You will be making the install media with this drive. With it you will be able to reinstall Windows 10 on any computer which had it previously. So It will definitely be handy to keep around in case any of your friends run into trouble.
    2. Another Windows computer handy. You will need it to make the install media as well as to download drivers in case you cannot get a network connection with your Transformer when it first boots up.

Step 1: Create Installation Media
    Download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool
    Click the button that says “Download tool now” to start the download.
    download tool now.JPG
    Once the ~17 MB file has finished downloading, launch it as an executable. You should see the Windows 10 license agreement displayed. Once you agree, you should see the following setup screen.

rsz_create_installation_media.jpg

We want to create Installation media for another PC so that you can plug the USB into our Transformer and run the installation.
    Next you will be asked to choose your language and the edition of Windows 10 you would like to install. Most Transformer models use a 32-bit architecture but a few of the most recent models (like the T100HA) are 64 bit. If you aren’t sure then check your system properties. You can also choose to put both at once on the same USB drive if you want to use it for multiple devices with different architectures.

rsz_select_edition.jpg

Most users should choose regular Windows 10 however you may want to try Windows 10 N if your device was purchased in Europe. Again, check your system properties if you aren’t sure.

Now get your USB drive ready. Plug it in, click next in the setup dialogue and choose USB install. You will then be asked to choose the drive you would like to install on. You may have to refresh the list of drives until it shows up. Click next and the download will begin. On my laptop with a fast internet connection the download process took about 10 minutes. Afterwards I had a recovery USB called ESD-USB with 2.63 GB used.

Step 2: Do the Installation
    Now take out your transformer. Double check again to make sure you backed up all your files. Now plug in your device. You really don't want it dying in the middle of this.

Shut down your Transformer and power it on again by pressing the power button. As soon as you see the light turn on beside the webcam, press the escape button on the keyboard. You should see the boot up options screen.

rsz_img_20160326_193321.jpg

Note: I had a difficult time getting to this stage until I unplugged the charger. It seems that there is some sort of voodoo link between the two.

On the next screens you can choose your language and agree to the license terms.

The fourth screen allows you to keep your files settings an applications (the installer will attempt to repair windows for you) or make a custom installation. We want to do that latter.

In the partition selection screen, delete all of the displayed partitions. Ignore any warnings about deleting manufacture recovery partitions. Microsoft will create much smaller recovery partitions when it does the install.

rsz_rsz_img_20160326_193925.jpg

Now select the un-allocated partition and click next.

rsz_1rsz_img_20160326_194018.jpg

Leave the installation alone for a while. Your computer may restart a few times. Eventually it will boot up to a network login screen. On my T100TA this took about 20 minutes.
    Login to your WIFI network and Microsoft account and wait for the setup to finish.

Step 3: Install Drivers
    At this point you have a brand new installation of Windows 10 on your computer but there are a lot of problems. You've probably noticed that the touchscreen doesn't work. Neither do the keyboard function buttons or touchpad gestures. We need to install drivers from Asus to make these components work.

Here are links to the support pages for a few devices.

T100TA
    T100TAM
    T100TAF
    T100HA
    T100 CHI
    T200

Download the drivers for your device and unzip their folders. Each driver folder has a .exe executable file that needs to be run to install it. Older devices will have a download page for Windows 10 drivers as well as Windows 8.1 drivers. the Windows 10 section will only contain the ATK package and touchpad driver. you will find everything else in the Windows 8.1 Section.

Make sure you do a reboot after each driver install or they won't work properly.

Pay special attention to installing the ATK, Touchpad and Chipset drivers. Most other components will be fine running on the generic Microsoft drivers but you may install the Asus provided ones if you run into any problems.

Well that's it. Everything should be running without any problems and you can begin to restore all your files and applications. If you run into any questions post here and we will try to help you out.

Here are a couple of extra guides that may come in handy.
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...fer-error.html How to install Winflash again.
    T100 model# and BIOS Guide - No discussions please How to update your BIOS
    Last edited by Gtanner00; 07-17-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2820 times
    Great job GT

I have linked the thread from the device specific W10 areas and the FAQ areas too.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times

Hi, just bought a T100HA 2/32

Hi

Just bought a T100HA with 2GB Memoy and 32GB storage, I've also have a 128GB fast Micro SD card which works great. I bought it to replace my 8" Toshiba Encore Baytrail tablet which is also 2/32 for three reasons - larger screen, newer Cherry trail and bargain price of £149

I don't plan to use it for anything serious, more to tinker with it, emulators, games, Kodi that sort of thing. I've not done anything with it other than to test it and I'm wondering if I'd be best off doing a clean install rather than trying to rid it of all the bloat ware etc?

I'm looking for guides on how to fresh install and optimise it so any help would be most welcome

Thanks

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2820 times
    Welcome to the forum

Good price!! I quick search would have found what you are looking for, but I have moved you post for you to our main Guide thread on a fresh install, although frankly I wouldn't bother as Asus don't ship enough "bloat ware" to make it worth the effort in my view, but that's up to you.

As far as other guides are concerned, please visit our T100FAQs section linked in my signature below and then join in with subsidiary questions on any of the threads you find of interest.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry it was my first post and was meant more as an introduction, I did find this sticky but was just adding that last line for a more device specific (T100HA) question on fresh install and optimisation

With devices like this half the fun is pushing it to its limits so optimisation is key here. One of the things I'm looking to do with the T100HA is have it stream from all my consoles i.e. Xbox one, PS4 and Steam as well as emulation probably up to PSP level.

I always like to start with a clean install and delete any recovery partition (never needed one) I'll also check I have latest bios before that so yeah I'm just trying to make it the best it can be

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Yesterday I did a clean install. On step 2, I got to the section where I could have deleted the additional partitions. For some reason I didn't delete them. What are the consequences for keeping those partitions in place? Anyways after the install was complete, "device manager" was lit up with many broken components. I did find those drivers but could my actions of not deleting the additional partitions result in "device manager" being a mess?
    I also upgraded BIOS a few weeks back.
    Asus T100TAS, 32GB SSD + 500GB HDD
    Atom Z3775 1.46GHz
    BIOS: T100TAS.214
    Windows 10 Home

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mike00851 View Post
    Yesterday I did a clean install. On step 2, I got to the section where I could have deleted the additional partitions. For some reason I didn't delete them. What are the consequences for keeping those partitions in place? Anyways after the install was complete, "device manager" was lit up with many broken components. I did find those drivers but could my actions of not deleting the additional partitions result in "device manager" being a mess?
    I also upgraded BIOS a few weeks back.
    I don't think those two would have any correlation. By neglecting to remove the partitions the installer may have just recognized them as being irrelevant recovery partitions and deleted them anyway, or it may have left them and created new ones. You can see your partitions in 'disk management '

If you install all the necessary driver packages from Asus specifically for your device model you should not have any problems with missing drivers. If you have done that already you can have Windows look for a compatible driver and install what it finds in device manager.

What sort of components are missing?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Gtanner00, thanks for your reply. I ended up doing another clean install and deleting those additional partitions. I don’t remember exactly what components were missing or broken in device manager. However I am missing some components in the “power and sleep” settings, at least I think I am. For example, in “power options”, the only plan that’s available is “Balanced”. I am aware that I’m able to create or customize my own plan but I’m thinking that there should be an additional performance plan. Another component I think I’m missing is “processor power management”. This should be located under “change advanced power settings”. Anyway I’m actually going to start a whole new post on some issues I’m having which may be possibly related to this. I hope you can give some feedback once I create the new post. Thanks!
    Atom Z3775 1.46GHz
    Windows 10 Home

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Pic 1.pngPic 2.png ************
    Atom Z3775 1.46GHz
    Windows 10 Home

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mike00851 View Post
    Gtanner00, thanks for your reply. I ended up doing another clean install and deleting those additional partitions. I don’t remember exactly what components were missing or broken in device manager. However I am missing some components in the “power and sleep” settings, at least I think I am. For example, in “power options”, the only plan that’s available is “Balanced”. I am aware that I’m able to create or customize my own plan but I’m thinking that there should be an additional performance plan. Another component I think I’m missing is “processor power management”. This should be located under “change advanced power settings”. Anyway I’m actually going to start a whole new post on some issues I’m having which may be possibly related to this. I hope you can give some feedback once I create the new post. Thanks!
    Have you installed the drivers for both the ATK package and the chipset package? Both of those are important device specific drivers and may include power management profiles.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

______

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links