Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Ultimate test : Win10 and HD 192x1080 playback

Well, maybe not the ultimat test, but a nice practical one. It's pretty miraculous that these little tablets are so powerful.

On my external monitor I can get HD bluray playback with a teeny bit of stutter on win8.1. I unloaded/task-terminated a few background processes to get to that point. I can't exactly remember how I achieved this but I think it was with potplayer and enabling hardware decode. (Filter-control->Video decoder->Built-in codec/DVXA settings->Use DXVA). I don't have a bluray player but MakeMKV rips them for free for a month. It's shareware.

So what I'm wondering: is win10 better or worse? That stutter is the last hurdle to using this tablet for movie playback.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itsastickup View Post
    Well, maybe not the ultimat test, but a nice practical one. It's pretty miraculous that these little tablets are so powerful.

On my external monitor I can get HD bluray playback with a teeny bit of stutter on win8.1. I unloaded/task-terminated a few background processes to get to that point. I can't exactly remember how I achieved this but I think it was with potplayer and enabling hardware decode. (Filter-control->Video decoder->Built-in codec/DVXA settings->Use DXVA). I don't have a bluray player but MakeMKV rips them for free for a month. It's shareware.

So what I'm wondering: is win10 better or worse? That stutter is the last hurdle to using this tablet for movie playback.
    There aren't a lot of drivers for windows 10 and the latest Intel driver is of 29/07/2015 (windows 10 release)
    So i think is too early to compare the 2 os

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andrea2107 View Post
    There aren't a lot of drivers for windows 10 and the latest Intel driver is of 29/07/2015 (windows 10 release)
    So i think is too early to compare the 2 os
    Hmmm, well maybe it's also too early to try to shut down my thread. Others may be interested enough to try this out.

There's no new driver model so win 8.1 drivers makes a comparison between win10 and win8.1 reasonable right now. I would like to see that.

Win 10 does introduce new driver features, but they are fairly significant and but I very much doubt Asus will trouble itself with producing spanking new drivers for our older models for some time if at all.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    It might be worth waiting until after November, that's when the next "Threshold 2" update is suppose to come out with improvements, fixes, and maybe some features that were suppose to come out but didn't make it in time for the original RTM... There's also another, bigger, "Redstone" update coming out sometime early next year... So you can revisit this again later...

But whatever anyone chooses to do, keep in mind results are context sensitive... Depending on your set up and what type of media you are actually playing will determine how well it plays...

Like a present issue with Windows 10 is Chrome has a significant memory leak problem and that means you can't play youtube videos higher than 720P before hitting stuttering/lag but stick to the Edge browser and it plays even the 4K videos on youtube just fine...

While some mkv videos may force higher CPU usage and as a general rule, if CPU usage goes above 50% then you start running into stuttering/lag issues and different files and players will cause different results. So don't take one result and assume it applies to all as that's rarely the case...

Though, by November and later we'll start seeing newer Cherry Trail devices and those are likely to have much better media scores than the present Bay Trail models... So keep that in mind too...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links