Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Windows 10 - Simple Upgrade Definitive Guide for all Windows 8.1 Asus models!

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times

Lightbulb [GUIDE] Windows 10 - Simple Upgrade Definitive Guide for all Windows 8.1 Asus models!

Let's Upgrade to Windows 10...

Since Windows 10 is out and some people are waiting to get it, other's are going for the manual way forward, I wanted to write this up, with some inclusive Windows 10 Step-by-Step guide on how to upgrade your T100/T200 officially using the tool from Microsoft, as I have tested this on alot of machine's recently. I got Windows 10 on only one of my machine's so far pushed by Windows Update and it's on Windows 10 after vigorous testing, yet proceeded further and installed, using Microsoft's built-in tool on 8 - T100s and 4 - T200s as a test before doing my personal T100 as well, fairly simple method, which basically require's no sd-card/no-usb//no-backup nothing, and you'll get your 'Asus T100/T200' upgraded easily and genuinely. Some of you may already know this, but for those who don't, you can always use this method, as it's officially from MS, safest as well to use, as if there's any issue with space/etc it won't proceed from the initial screen's further nor will it mess up anything, I had zero machine's lacking any Driver's when it upgraded, no question marks in the Device Manager (Touchpad/Camera/Touch Screen-Input/Speaker Volume same as before, I read some people had issues with Webcam/Sound etc), it's basically the same as before on the 8.1 OS, if you're wondering, nothing was missing.

Recommended Disk Space from official MS page for Windows 10:
    16 GB for 32 Bit Os's
    20 GB for 64 Bit Os's

I went forward with '10.5 GB' free on majority of them knowing 16 GB is needed, and it went perfectly fine/no issues/errors seen, I tried this with around 6 GB free initially during my test phases and got directory failure instantly after Windows 10 was downloaded.

Pre-requisites (What is required by you):
    1) 10 GB work's fine for 32/64 Bit T100/T200s, if you have more that's great, recommendation are above from MS ('If you have space issues even with around 10 GB, you can always use 'Create Media Installation').
    2) Microsoft's Media-Creation Tool from here, this is the main tool which basically does everything with a single click.
    3) Make 100% sure you're previous Windows 8.1 is completely updated with all Important/Critical Windows Updates, except Optional till date before attempting this.
    4) Solid Wifi-Connection for Upgrade's to install at the end of upgrade cycle on your system, your T100/T200 should be connected before on Wifi before attempting the upgrade.
    5) Plugged into AC-Power connection, upgrade cycle took 35-40 mins roughly per machine, hence it's recommended you have your T100/T200 on AC-Power.

Keep in mind, this is NOT a scratch Windows 10 OS install nor do I encourage that now, it's a proper full upgrade from your previous Windows 8.1 Home to Window 10 Home Asus T100/T200 retaining everything as a genuine upgrade.

Upgrade Process:
    1- Make sure you have gone through the Pre-Requisite above, Download the 32Bit tool from the official Microsoft page here as per your system.
    2- Right-Click Run the Tool as Admin (Even though it does, just in-case), press the first option 'Upgrade this PC now'.

2015-08-01 20_24_18-Windows 10 Setup.png

3- Press 'Next' and Windows 10 will start to download, this doesn't take too long btw, as I initially thought it would.

2015-08-01 20_29_06-How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update _ Ventur.png

4- After 'Download', it will verify the download.

2015-08-01 20_30_25-How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update _ Ventur.png

5- Once Verification is done, it will automatically create the media on the local drive.
    6- After the media, it will load Windows 10 installer, check some thing's and proceed further, everything till now on it's own.

2015-08-01 20_32_20-How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update _ Ventur.png

7- Accept the License agreement, and you will see the screen 'What to keep', make sure you choose, 'Apps/Settings/Data/Everything' basically. If you don't see this window, you can always press back but keep in mind, it will re-load everything from the start.

2015-08-01 20_40_45-How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update _ Ventur.png

8- Update's will start to check, if there's any and it will automatically load them.
    9- The Final screen will be this before the installation/Copying of files start on full screen of Windows 10 OS installer,

2015-08-01 20_39_30-How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update _ Ventur.png

Thanks to some screens above from Venture beat, as I couldn't take all myself except the below personal ones.

10- You should see this basically, after everything, this is my T100, you can sit back and relax, the process will take around 35-40 minutes.

2015-08-01 20_47_35-Windows 10 t100 - Message (HTML).png

11- You might get this msg too, proceed, although manual installation of only 'Asus Smart Gesture latest driver' is required. Just to remind you, on one of my T100s I got Windows 10 pushed from Microsoft, the process was similar to this, however it still needed me to download/install the Asus Smart Gesture after the upgrade, even though it say's it's downloading//Installing below during the upgrade.

2015-08-01 20_47_47-Windows 10 t100 - Message (HTML).png

12- When Windows 10 is loaded you'll see these configuration screens,

2015-08-01 20_47_54-Windows 10 t100 - Message (HTML).png

2015-08-01 20_48_01-Windows 10 t100 - Message (HTML).png

13- You'll see your lock screen and your T100/T200 will now be upgraded to Windows 10 , enjoy, if you have issue with the Touchpad, follow the fix in the FAQ provided below Step-5 & 7.

Frequently Asked Question's (FAQ):
    1) Do I need my current Window 8.1 serial key? No you do not need it at all.
    2) Will I gain some space back after the upgrade cycle is done? Yes you will get 5.7 - 6 GB back instantly, moreover you will still have Window.old and Window 10 installation folders, which you can remove later on for more space.
    3) Will I lose my Apps/Settings/Anything? No, if you do as exactly as I did, you will basically retain everything, and will simply have the new OS Windows 10 Home along with everything as you had on Windows 8.1.
    4) Which Windows 10 Version will I get? You will get the same version as your 8.1, in my case it was 8.1 Home, hence after the upgrade I had Windows 10 Home.
    5) The upgrade, wen't successful, now my Touchpad doesn't work, what to do? Uninstall, the one which was installed previously from 'Right--Click Start > Program & Features' and install the updated Asus Smart Gesture Driver update from here. Select Windows 10 from the list, Choose 32bit accordingly as per system, and download the latest one from there, Reboot and Voila, you're touchpad will work as normal too.
    6) I can't use my mouse during upgrade since touchpad doesn't work what to do? I used an external wireless mouse, worked perfectly through the start till finish process, never unplugged.
    7) I am getting issue's during uninstallation of preivous Asus Smart Gesture software after upgrade, what to do? Say yes and proceed to uninstall, you will receive error's, although it will be uninstalled, you can safely ignore, retry to uninstall if it's in the list and it will say it's no longer there, you can safely install the latest version from Step-5 above.

Known Issue's:
    - Touchpad Driver doesn't upgrade during the Windows 10 Upgrade sequence by itself.

Annoyance Fixes/My thought's so far:
    - After having a change in my Wifi at home, my T100 used to be on limited connectivity everytime I opened the lid when it was on Windows 8.1 and I used to do FN+F2 didn't had much time to troubleshoot that, well that's totally gone now after the upgrade and that's what I noticed as the first thing on the first day, connection stays solid.
    - Microsoft Edge is blistering fast, the new browser replacing Explorer and take's very minimal RAM, so far am using it and really liking it so far.
    - Apps/Movement's in OS seem more fluid then before.
    - Battery seem's to last longer, despite all of my T100 battery issue's before.

for reading, hope you have a seamless experience as I did during the upgrade. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Caster; 08-09-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    This is the final System Screen, after the upgrade,

Image23453.png

This is also present for you, if you wanna move back to Windows 8.1 for a month from the time of your upgrade, I have a feeling this may use the 'Windows.old' folder, hence if you wanna move back don't delete it, when the upgrade is done,

2015-08-01 22_51_39-Settings.png

Let's keep the scratch Windows 10, installation discussions out of this thread please and use the appropriate thread's provided.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Caster; 08-01-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    rickscheller and janner43 like this.
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)

Edemfinaki
    Ok i am trying to do this now after a huge driver failure i wil update soon

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    Very nice writeup, Caster. My T100 experience duplicated yours. T100 was my 5th computer to update, no problems on 1-4. The 6th was a different matter.

Still waiting for Classic Shell final update to fix black taskbar.
    http://www.classicshell.net/forum/vi...php?f=4&t=4803
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 08-01-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    Caster likes this.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    416 times
    Excellent post Caster... I didn't see this post till this morning but I used the same method to update an Asus VivoTab ME400C Friday and yesterday my T100TA. The only variance I had was the ME400C took 90 minutes and the T100 took 160 minutes.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 08-02-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    Caster likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Question

Thanks Caster. In the FAQ section you mention that we will gain some disk space back. Does the upgrade also remove the Windows 8.1 recovery partition on the disk or is that something we also need to do if we want to?

Thanks,
    Warwick

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WarwickB View Post
    Thanks Caster. In the FAQ section you mention that we will gain some disk space back. Does the upgrade also remove the Windows 8.1 recovery partition on the disk or is that something we also need to do if we want to?

Thanks,
    Warwick
    No it won't remove the recovery partition, you'll need to find another way to do that, some threads in the below section have user's trying various methods.

Windows 10 Help & Discussion for all Asus MS powered transformer & tablet models

All the best.
    WarwickB likes this.

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    I have no sound in Cortana(and only in Cortana), what steps should I take? I'm using the Asus T100-C1-WH.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DKL View Post
    I have no sound in Cortana(and only in Cortana), what steps should I take? I'm using the Asus T100-C1-WH.
    Not sure about that, mine works fine, have a look under Search settings from the desktop to see if Cortana is even enabled in your region, it states there, it doesn't work in some regions. Google might be best to see more details on her features etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links