Thread: Windows 10 Clean Install How To

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times

Windows 10 Clean Install How To

I spent most of the day on this, but I finally got it working. I made a backtrack USB backup and updated to Windows 10. It took a very long time and after it finished there were a lot of "unknown device" in the device manager, resolution was terrible, no sound, and no touch screen or touch keyboard. I tried to install the latest drivers and was able to get sound device.
    Tried to go back to 8.1 from backtrack USB and of course that kept failing. Went ahead and did clean install of Windows 10 32 bit USB image. After some trial and error I was able to get everything working from windows 10 clean install.
    -After Windows 10 is downloaded and setup, go to the asus T100 support and drivers site and download the ATK and smart gesture, extract them and install them. The smart gesture might update/install on its own.

The key for everything else is under windows 8.1 selection, download and extract "SOCPackage_Intel_Win81_32_VER106" (The older version that says it also includes VGA and Camera). Once you extract that go through each "unkown device" (and any other ones) and point to that extracted folder. It found everything but one. I restarted the machine, heard a few found new hardware beeps and all unknown device prompts are now gone.

Edit: Noticed the Camera wasn't working. Looked in device manager under "Other Devices". It said something like ISP Camera, right clicked, update driver, pointed to same as above and it is working now too. I did find one quirk, but not sure if it is just a setting. It would be nice for it to auto switch between desktop mode and tablet mode, but it doesn't seem to work. The tablet mode switch just keeps it in tablet mode.. After a little research it looks like our current bios 313 doesn't support Continuum. Oh well, small price to pay. Hopefully they will put out a new one.

Still testing everything, but so far I haven't found anything that doesn't work.
    Hope this helps anyone. It has been a very long day and I don't want anyone else to have to go through that!
    Last edited by elgordo123; 07-30-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    MattWeed9 and fiat_lux like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    I had zero of those problems interestingly. I found an .exe installer on the Windows site and just ran that. I choose a clean install and it took probably around 30 minutes total.

I also seem to have all the drivers installed and everything is working better than I expected. I actually think the T100 runs better with windows 10 too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by MattWeed9 View Post
    I had zero of those problems interestingly. I found an .exe installer on the Windows site and just ran that. I choose a clean install and it took probably around 30 minutes total.
    Please share the URL for that .exe installer.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2 times
    I haven't gotten to use it yet(will try tonight) but people form the windows 10 sub on reddit are recommending this one https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    If you visit the page on a Windows computer you will see the install tool if you're on anything else you will see the iso download.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    That is the page I used. It is basically just a downloader utility from MS for the iso/image. If you are going to download it using the T100, use the 32 bit version. I plugged in a 8GB PNY and it downloaded and set it up. You can download it on any computer though. If you are going the "free upgrade" route make sure you upgrade the T100 first, AND make sure 10 is activated (that is what I did anyway) before you attempt a clean install.
    Last edited by elgordo123; 07-30-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times

I also seem to have all the drivers installed and everything is working better than I expected. I actually think the T100 runs better with windows 10 too lol.

Wish it went that easy for me! You must have had the force with you, even though it was the dark side - according to your background

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times

There are two options for Windows 10 32 bits ISO: one is for upgrading from "Windows 8.1 Home" and the other is for upgrading from "Windows 8.1 Single Language". My T100TA is factory loaded with "Windows 8.1 with Bing". Which install do I choose?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    So, do I understand this right... Once you've upgraded and activated a computer with Windows 10 upgrade, you can do a full clean install in the future?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagnillo View Post
    So, do I understand this right... Once you've upgraded and activated a computer with Windows 10 upgrade, you can do a full clean install in the future?
    Yes! Windows 10 activation will be tied to your hardware by the update process. If you want to do a clean install after that, your system will be automatically activated. On a clean install, Windows 10 setup will ask for your key during the setup process, but you can safely ignore that.
    Jaymac likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links