Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times

Windows 10 updgrade warning

The reason I'm posting this is because of some statements I have seen in various threads.

If you did a clean install of Windows 10 using one of the serial numbers available on the Internet. You will NOT be able to use that forever. It will not upgrade to a/the final version of Windows 10.

If you did an in-place upgrade using the Insider Program it will get the final upgrade and you can continue to use it.

Again, if some people didn't quite get it. To continue using Windows 10 going forward you must have upgraded from, Windows 8.1.

Clearly stated by Microsoft, an upgrade, (in-place), will require no less than 16GB of FREE space for a 32-bit version of Windows and 20GB of FREE space for a 64-bit version. Though the initial file download is under 3GB it requires far more space during the install process and also saves the previous Windows configuration in a folder called Windows.old

A clean install will stop working after the last preview version expires unless you purchase a copy of Windows 10.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    As an additional note, if you did install the 10 preview using your own created ISO and have no other windows 8.x installation present on your system then that can easily be remedied by using the Microsoft Windows installation media tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...-refresh-media

This tool can recognize the original OEM license key embedded in the mothrrboard and BIOS so no physical serial number is needed to restore to windows 8.

The tool even has functions to be able to keep files from a previous windows installation although I still recommend safe guarding your files with backups .

I myself made an in place installation and then deleted the old Windows 8 files. I still think that I will be given a final upgrade since there was once a full Windows 8 build aide by side with 10.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    leeshor likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    I take issue with some of the statements made above.

To be clear & correct, read this directly from Microsoft.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

The only requirements are that:
    a) your device is compatible, and
    b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?
    Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

OTHER NEWS:
    Microsoft revealed the upgrade paths during its WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China. The company also announced that users of pirated Windows versions will be able to get a legit copy of Windows 10 at no charge.
    Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for software pirates, too | PCWorld

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+XP+...ticle37411.htm
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 06-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The only requirements are that:
    a) your device is compatible, and
    b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).
    That was one of the main points. What exactly are you taking issue with with. The way I stated it was nearly word for word from my Microsoft rep. You still won't be able to go to the final version if you had done a scratch install of the preview. It must be as an upgrade.

The components in that system will be registered as having been upgraded to Windows 10 which is why AFTER the upgrade you can do a clean install if you wish. (this assumes you didn't make major changes to the system between taking the upgraded version off and doing the clean install).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links