Thread: Asus vivotab TF810C VS Transformer Book TX300

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times

Asus vivotab TF810C VS Transformer Book TX300

Like many here, I'd been waiting for the transformer book either i5 or i7. Then I took the plunge and bought the vivotab 11.6" version. It runs on clover trail atom.

Notice that last sentence. Atom processors have a bad rep, and that was why I hesitated to buy it. But now that I've used the clover trail tablet for 2 weeks, my mind has completely changed.

-Autocad works very smoothly.
    -Photoshop works very smoothly as well.
    -Every program I've thrown at it has run very smoothly.

I've not had any hickup at all.

I've tried running several resource intensive programs at the same time, and while there's a slight lag they all worked... at the same time.

This makes me wonder. Do I really need an i5 or i7 transformer tablet? Latest specs I've seen on battery life of the TX300 on the optimistic side is 5 hours.

When I need to do long term work with autocad, I just use my i7 desktop with my 24" HD monitor.

I'm beginning to think i5 or i7 tablet/laptop hybrids are unrealistic and impractical. Just how many of us want to spend a long time working with a 10-12 inch screen? Remember that these tablet/laptop hybrids are designed to be on-the-go or some lite work at the office or the starbucks.

My vivotab can already run photoshop and autocad... at the same time. And the reason I stopped using my laptop and started taking my transformer everywhere with me was because of battery life. In other words, if I were to get the i5 or i7 tablet, it's little better than going back to my old laptop. Always looking for an outlet to plug in the laptop.

Another thing to consider is the price. We generally expect android and iOS tablets to cost around $500. I bought my vivotab TF810c for about $850. Now that I think about it, shelling out $1500 for a tablet/laptop hybrid is kinda pushing it.

What are your thoughts? Do you think you will need an i5 or i7 tablet if it means sacrificing the battery life?
    Last edited by goodintentions; 03-06-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    I guess its upto the individual but for me id rather have on the TFB why?
    full 1920x1080 screen
    Full size sd card slot as my camera has same
    extra hard drive to store my hd pics and movies
    13.3 inch screen for my ageing eyes
    A combined notebook style and ipad type all in one for holidays
    Last edited by everunman; 03-06-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I don't think it was Clover Trail that had the bad rep. I think it was the atom processor. With Atom's history, nobody expects much from it.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    I don't think it was Clover Trail that had the bad rep. I think it was the atom processor. With Atom's history, nobody expects much from it.
    That's what I meant. When people think of the atom processor, they tend to think of those cheap, low res screen, ridiculously short battery life, cheap netbooks.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Well, the combination of small improvements they made to the ATOM since Medfield and the easier to run Windows 8, along with the touch optimization, makes these modern Windows tablets significantly more useful than previous... at least in the low end performance range.

Mind that many people don't compare netbooks in their prime but rather how they started... The original models being single core, with GMA's with only about a third of the performance they have now and no hardware acceleration. While Clover Trail is dual core, and though the GMA isn't the best you can get in a mobile device it is still 3x better than the original ATOM GMA performance and handles hardware acceleration well enough to play Blu Rays and even do some basic video editing of 720P or less video.

While even after ATOM got dual core versions, many of the early ATOM based Windows tablets used the usually stripped down version... Namely the Z-Series was specifically meant for embedded and low power devices, optimized for better power efficiency at the cost of performance and responsiveness and they also tended to be single core. So examples like the first HP Slate only provided about half the performance of a modern Clover Trail. Made all the worse by Windows 7...

Mind also that people get bothered by things like lag much more on mobile devices than laptops and so it's understandable many people are very wary but they really need to try it now to see how much has improved since those early days.

The primary caveat is that the desktop experience is still the desktop experience for Windows 8... Most of the increased speed is from the Modern UI.

You can run demanding programs like Photoshop, etc. but if you need them for more than casual usage then the lack of performance can become noticeable. Take video editing for example, if you need to do work on something higher than 720P and want to do effects, etc that aren't hardware accelerated then the time it can take can be extremely long.

So run time trade offs should be considered by the fact that the performance increase allows you to get more done in shorter period of time. It won't be ideal for everyone but those who need to get work done quickly can find the trade off worth it. While also mind that those doing work are usually not that mobile and thus are less likely to need to worry about going too long without access to a power source.

Though, of course, in another year we'll have Haswell and thus more efficient solutions that will make the trade off much less significant.
    sculptedstylus likes this.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post

So run time trade offs should be considered by the fact that the performance increase allows you to get more done in shorter period of time. It won't be ideal for everyone but those who need to get work done quickly can find the trade off worth it. While also mind that those doing work are usually not that mobile and thus are less likely to need to worry about going too long without access to a power source.

Though, of course, in another year we'll have Haswell and thus more efficient solutions that will make the trade off much less significant.
    Not necessarily. My brother is a field engineer for a consultant firm, so he is as mobile as you can imagine. He and his transformer are inseparable. You will never see him without his tablet. Before I got him a transformer, he used to have to carry around very large thousand page long manuals for his work. Nowadays, he only carries his tablet. I've watched him crank out a report and quickly email it to his clients. He actually does it faster than me.

At the moment, I'm trying to get a job down south with an upcoming dam project. If/when I get the job, an outlet will be a thing of the past... there'll be more empty fields than pavement.

The point is there are many professionals like us who really do scramble around all day at certain times of the year. And we still need our computers with us. We don't get much press attention, though. It's always the hipster art designer, blogger, and gamer that get all the attention.

But you're right, with certain types of work, an i5 or i7 is preferable over the atom. I just haven't found needed task that the clover trail can't handle yet.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links