Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb windows 8 and android operating systems on tf300t

Hi All,

I am very interested to install windows 8 operating system on mt tf300t 32 gb.
    I wonder if i can keep both windows and android operating systems, just like we are doing 2with different room configurations.

Can you help me?

In addition i wonder if we can do the same with windows 7

I am going to do the installation using a portable DVD.

Awaiting for your answers.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    9 times
    Wow, I'm not sure that it can support windows like that...
    I'm under the impression that this tablet is essentially a big cell phone that doesn't call anyone, and not a small pc.
    When you determine how to accomplish this, I'm surely interested in your experiences.
    Scott

I wanted to clarify that I say that with nothing but love for my TF300T - the most awesome cell phone that didn't call anyone ever !!
    Now that I think about it, I have used it to video call with Skype - so it does call people, kinda...
    Last edited by Medicman; 07-11-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Clarification of point
    Mimo likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1011 times
    Welcome to the forum. There are no drivers on the Transformers that will recognize your DVD device. So I doubt you will be able to install Windows since that would be Step 1.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2248 times
    OP - it isn't going to be possible, I don't think. Certainly not from a dvd drive

Moved to Windows 8 section.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    961 times
    Considering the requirements, will never happen

Windows-8 system requirements 64-bit (x64) CPU with 1 GHz 20 GByte Hard disk space 2 GByte RAM DirectX-9 graphics Card

Windows-8 system requirements 32-bit (x86/x32) CPU with 1 GHz 16 GByte Hard disk space 1 GByte RAM DirectX-9 graphics Card

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    22 times
    Windows 8 will have an ARM version (CE I think it is called). That doesn't mean it will install on any of our transformers, but it is Windows 8 built for tablet and phone hardware. Windows 8 Pro is the version that will go onto typical desktops and laptops with AMD or Intel processors -- which absolutely would NOT run on typical tablet or phone hardware (ARM based).

So, just keep your eyes open and your fingers crossed. It may happen. But if it does, it will probably we awhile away.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    397 times
    Immortal seeing it. They have gotten Ubuntu to work, but it is extremely hacked up. With the closed source of windows it will be extremely difficult if not impossible. You wouldn't be able to run your current windows programs anyways, it i386 or x86 programs won't run on arm processors.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    Windows 8 will have an ARM version (CE I think it is called). That doesn't mean it will install on any of our transformers, but it is Windows 8 built for tablet and phone hardware. Windows 8 Pro is the version that will go onto typical desktops and laptops with AMD or Intel processors -- which absolutely would NOT run on typical tablet or phone hardware (ARM based).

So, just keep your eyes open and your fingers crossed. It may happen. But if it does, it will probably we awhile away.
    Windows 8 for ARM processors is called Windows RT and as of right now will only be available to OEMs (not sold separately). However, Microsoft is in the business of making money and perhaps they will see the benefit.

And for the record, Windows RT and Windows 8 Phone are entirely different operating systems that Microsoft is eventually planning on merging in the future.

The great thing about all the versions of Windows 8 to be coming out is that they will all support the same apps from the Windows App Store, and each app is fully transferable to each device you own that runs Windows 8.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MA83 View Post
    And for the record, Windows RT and Windows 8 Phone are entirely different operating systems that Microsoft is eventually planning on merging in the future.
    Not entirely different, one of the reasons they won't allow existing WP7x phones to upgrade to WP8 is because they switched to the NT Kernel and that extends to the file system, security infrastructure, etc... Essentially, that's how they were able to get WP8 to support Metro apps and provide some cross platform options for developers to consider between all the new Windows 8/RT/Phone8 devices.

Though of course WP8 is still optimized to be a phone OS and still supports WP7x apps.

Mind Windows RT doesn't support Win32.exe and the only desktop mode apps you get are the ones it comes with. Since MS limits all 3rd parties to just Metro for RT. So not only does RT not support legacy apps but won't be able to use any new desktop apps, but MS will include Office Home and Student 2013 RT by default with all RT systems. Though that may not be a bad thing as you'll likely mainly use Metro apps on RT devices anyway, which will be mainly tablets.

On the other hand, MS is in trouble right now with the EU commission and may have to change their minds if they are charged with violating the previous anti-trust agreement that requires them to make available alternative options and blocking 3rd party options a even playing field while still providing their own with no restrictions, even on a separate platform, may be something they may not be able to get away with even though Apple has been doing it for years with iOS.
    MA83 likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks for explaining the differences a little better. I had it explained to me by a developer friend and couldn't remember the details.

Ads