Thread: Asus Transformer Book

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    I dont have a clue but you will probably get a 256GB maybe more, apparently there will also be a standard hard drive option, I imagine that there is 32GB flash in the tablet (or 64GB) and then the hard drive is in the dock
    From watching these videos it sounds like that will be the case. I think it was mentioned that the tablet and dock would each have its own storage with the full hard drive or what not probably going into the dock while the tablet probably holds 32/64GB. The dock seems to be the house for the notebook portion of the device, minus the processor. It really is a pretty intelligent design.

And actually, while browsing I thought I read about something "dual" in reference to the RAM. Taking a stab in the dark, I would wonder if that means the RAM is split also with 2GB in the tablet and 2 more in the dock? I could easily be mistaken on that.
    Last edited by Chocodroid; 06-28-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    hpfabe likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Chocodroid,
    I definitely get where you're coming from.
    I had been wanting the Transformer Prime ever since it was first announced. Initially, it was impossible to get. By the time inventory started becoming available, I realized that I couldn't quite justify the price (especially since I wanted the 64GB version).
    My laptop died about 3 weeks ago, and going into Best Buy to get a new laptop (I was going to get a middle of the road, $400 one, and decided now was the time to give ASUS a try, based on specs per dollar). While there, I saw the original TF101, the TF201 Prime, and the TF300. That did it for me. I couldn't hold out any longer, especially after reading all the articles about how the Transformer can replace your laptop.
    I bought the TF300 (32GB) and dock and have been absolutely LOVING IT ever since, using it at home and at night school, though not at work, as I use a PC laptop there.
    The problem is, that there are just some things that I DO need a PC for, especially in regards to CAD or to programs where the Android app just doesn't work right, and especially for my law school finals.
    So, long story short, the Transformer Book looks perfect to me, assuming it has decent RAM and significant (seriously) memory.
    However, if it's priced at $1500-2500, like top-of-the-line Macs are, just to allow for it to be a pc that is as skinny as a MacBook Air... well, then I'm afraid that I'll be buying a regular old ASUS laptop to supplement my TF300 (and I'm open to recommendations from people here on which one to get).

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocodroid View Post
    From watching these videos it sounds like that will be the case. I think it was mentioned that the tablet and dock would each have its own storage with the full hard drive or what not probably going into the dock while the tablet probably holds 32/64GB. The dock seems to be the house for the notebook portion of the device, minus the processor. It really is a pretty intelligent design.

And actually, while browsing I thought I read about something "dual" in reference to the RAM. Taking a stab in the dark, I would wonder if that means the RAM is split also with 2GB in the tablet and 2 more in the dock? I could easily be mistaken on that.
    That would all actually make A LOT of sense!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    3 times
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if what they are doing is how I described it. When you think about it the tablet portion becomes little more than what's in any other Windows tablet. 32/64GB of storage, 2GB of RAM, internal battery. The only part that's bumped up is the inclusion of i7. Then they put additional hardware into the dock to round out the package. Granted none of this is confirmed, but I'm betting it is how this was designed.

Ah here we go. Dual channel RAM was the wording that I came across. Yeah that sounds like two 2GB sticks.

I think I've long made up my mind that I would like to have a tablet and I've basically been focusing all my attention on Asus to supply something. They did what I wanted with supplying a keyboard dock and they did it right. It wasn't something just slapped together and now they are raising the bar even higher by adding additional functionality to make it notebook worthy. But yeah, with all this talk about it being the world's thinnest i7 tablet/notebook I do worry that it may receive a premium price tag. Just using some basic speculation, going from the original Transformer to the Prime and then looking at the 810, even for that I could see it hitting $700 to $800. And if so it would not be hard to imagine an i7 book going for at least $1,000 with the larger-sized models reaching upward to $1,500, though it could be even higher as I'm just speculating. That would put the book at the same or higher price range as my original laptop and as such it would be treated as a full replacement. I might have trouble justifying a purchase like that.
    Last edited by Chocodroid; 06-28-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    3 times
    From digging around I have found some rumored specifications, but there are a lot of gray areas. Some pieces of information are already known like the i3, i5, and i7 processors, 11.6", 13", and 14" sizes, 4GB dual-channel RAM. If it hasn't been heard from an official credible source don't take it as confirmation, but just going to post what I've come across.

As for things that may not be known, from watching these videos it seems to be suggested that things such as discrete graphics and optical drive may only be found in the 13" and 14" models. I think most of all it's that info that has me curious about how many people will go for a larger size to acquire that performance boost.

The tablet itself will have basic storage not unlike other tablet, but the HDD/SDD (HDD seems to get quoted more) in the dock is believed to range from 128GB to 256GB.

Weight has been said to be about 700 grams for both the tablet and the dock (11.6").

For discrete graphics I've come across NVIDIA Geforce GT 630M, but I really doubt there has been any information provided to back that up.

For the alternative integrated GPU it's been said to use Intel's HD 4000.

For release date it was difficult to hear, but I believe it was said that the plan is for the 13" model to be released with Windows 8 while the other two sizes will come out later, but before the end of the year.

I think that covers the lesser known areas that I've come across, but again, it's best to treat all of this as simply rumored specifications.

Edit: Added a little more information.
    Last edited by Chocodroid; 07-08-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    hpfabe likes this.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hpfabe View Post
    The CAD program that I use (SolidWorks) sometimes really strains the 8GB of RAM on my work laptop. If the Book can't handle that, then ok, but for the money that this thing is probably going to cost, I'd rather have power over slimness. Either way, looking forward to it.
    If you are running CAD. Get a desktop, like a very high end gaming rig. The biggest choke points for me running SolidWorks, Pro E and SolidEdge was processor and GPU. You really need some guts to use any CAD program, I would recommend a desktop with an I7 and a very high end GPU with 8GB of ram. I made the mistake of a very high end laptop, it killed me!!!
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    If you are running CAD. Get a desktop, like a very high end gaming rig. The biggest choke points for me running SolidWorks, Pro E and SolidEdge was processor and GPU. You really need some guts to use any CAD program, I would recommend a desktop with an I7 and a very high end GPU with 8GB of ram. I made the mistake of a very high end laptop, it killed me!!!
    Youd actually want a 6/8 core Xeon for this kinda stuff

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Some of the new I7's can hum along really well, I was basically specing out my low end for CAD.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    I have a fairly high-end (brick of a) laptop that works provides me for doing CAD on, but the thing is frigging huge so I virtually never take it home with me. At home, I pretty much just stick to my Transformer PAD TF300 (and am looking around for a cheap T101MT to have a Windows tablet/netbook at home too). I don't intend for the Transformer Book to be my primary workhorse, but it would be nice if it could handle some occassional work when I'm on the road.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    The resolution is bugging me slightly. Had the new iPad not come along with its shiny 20481536 on a 9.7" screen (264 ppi) I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

However, the transformer tablets will apparently be running at 1080p - which I would previously have thought to be most impressive. The 14" model will therefore be running at 160ppi (if my maths is correct). That's not bad, but could feel outdated very quickly.

Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links