Like Tree8Likes

Thread: TF101, moving to Windows 8 if I can

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

TF101, moving to Windows 8 if I can

Is it coming anytime soon?

Just one more reason when Win8 comes out, I'm going to do everything I can to switch to Windows 8. Google clearly knows nothing whatsoever about OS, except for Phone OS. I don't have any problems with random restart, etc... the common ICS problems, but it is slow, and it does show show signs of OS immaturity at every turn... Win 8, please hurry, the actual hardware is so great and the software is holding it back so so so much.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Is this the start of a conversation or a leg-humpfest for Microsoft? You have offered nothing relevant to this forum. I think the Windows 8 door is in the building down the street. Good. Bye.
    GGS likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redstring View Post
    Is it coming anytime soon?

Just one more reason when Win8 comes out, I'm going to do everything I can to switch to Windows 8. Google clearly knows nothing whatsoever about OS, except for Phone OS. I don't have any problems with random restart, etc... the common ICS problems, but it is slow, and it does show show signs of OS immaturity at every turn... Win 8, please hurry, the actual hardware is so great and the software is holding it back so so so much.
    I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense, especially when taking into account the raw power of the Prime 201, I am no windows lover, in fact my computers are either Apple or Linux based, But, I also think that when you look back on the original windows OS it too was flaky, blue screens everywhere, especially when an upgrade occurred and developers had not caught up. Now they have got most of their act together, still to memory dependant and disk orientated but it is becoming a stable OS
    Google need to get up to speed, they have taken a good foundation for their OS in Linux, now they need to tighten the way ICS is written, need to make the system more stable and more flexible with regards to backward compatibility, I think it will happen , just maybe not as quickly as many would like.
    sculptedstylus likes this.
    Asus TP 201, UK version s/m ***AS045***
    Samsung Ace

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    718 times
    My Windows experience over the years has been far from perfect. No matter if it was '98 through Vista (that's my current one, I know I'm a little behind) has been plagued with viruses, crashes, lock ups, freezing, sluggishness, etc. etc.! Why would Windows 8 be any different. My TF101 that I've owned since last May with Android has been a breath of fresh air. Sure every once in a while it has had some of the same issues but a Hard Reset clears it up. But over this past year my TF has been more stable than my Windows laptop. The only snafu was ICS update caused some problems, but a Factory reset took care of that and my TF is once again out performing my Windows laptop.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2221 times
    Retitled thread to correctly reflect subject & moved to Windows 8 section

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow, I was looking up Windows 8 for TF101 and this was on top of google search. I don't even remember creating this thread

Anyways, I know this is an older thread - but I'd like to reply. If your Windows computer is sluggish or has problems with viruses, etc; this is almost guaranteed to be from user error, not updating, no anti-virus, downloading questionable material, or visiting questionable websites. I use Windows 8 and I never have any OS related issues, ever. Same with every Windows OS I've used since 98. Maybe software, or something I've done, but a properly installed Win OS has never given me many issues aside from perhaps when it first comes out, but they fix these issues FAST.

Unlike someone else I know..

If any of you have been keeping an eye on TF101 prices on Ebay, they are dropping very very quickly. Not even a few weeks ago they were still going for $300, now they're commonly found at $250, and with dock, only $345. People are getting quickly frustrated with the Android ICS OS, and by them not putting out even incremental fixes somewhat quickly, they are going to lose business. If you can buy them New/practically New online at this price, what do you think this will do for store sells which are still $120+ for dock alone.

Someone has mentioned Windows had issues earlier on that needed to be fixed, that is true, but that was years ago, and with Android OS on tablet being this new, I don't know about you but I don't want to wait a few years for them to get it right. I'd rather go to an OS which has much much more experience, and with a tablet being more like a laptop and less like a smart phone as time goes on, I think the experienced one (Win) will pull ahead.

The few people I know with a TF has already sold theirs, luckily before the big price drop that has been hitting - I wasn't so lucky and I'm not really willing to take the loss to sell mine for so much cheaper. All I can hope for is Android to get with the program, and start putting out major updates, or I'll be moving to Windows 8 when it hits -- and I think I'll be a lot more comfortable there. With a screen this big, especially with a dock, I don't want a phone OS.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2221 times
    As welcome as you are, don't expect us diehard linux & android fans to be leaping up & down rushing to buy a Windows system any time soon, will you

Some of us are old enough to remember computers before Windows - we *might* feel glad to have seen the back of it You clearly feel differently & that's fine for you
    Last edited by janner43; 05-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've used Linux as go-to distro on my laptops for quite awhile. While I'm no pro with the ins-and-outs of Linux, it seems that the two of them, Linux & Android, are on the other sides of the spectrum as far as operating systems go. As a Linux user, what do you like about android? I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm just interested since it seems like a strange comparison to me.

I'd love to see a Linux tablet OS. Perhaps this was in mind while Unity was being initiated. It sure seems like it.
    Last edited by redstring; 05-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    67 times
    Have you tried ubuntu? There are some apps in google market. I would to test them out myself but i have no root

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redstring View Post

Someone has mentioned Windows had issues earlier on that needed to be fixed, that is true, but that was years ago, and with Android OS on tablet being this new, I don't know about you but I don't want to wait a few years for them to get it right. I'd rather go to an OS which has much much more experience, and with a tablet being more like a laptop and less like a smart phone as time goes on, I think the experienced one (Win) will pull ahead.
    But what kind of knowledge does Windows have, over Android, with ARM based OS's besides their phone OS's? Which don't have a very solid trackrecord btw.
    Just like Android and iOS, Win 8 will be a blown up phone OS and I'll bet they'll run into the same problems the others did.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads