Thread: TF201 constant issues

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

TF201 constant issues

Hello All, I have intermittent issues with my TF201. It was working fine couple of days ago but now all the following issues. I am using KatKiss & Twrp 2.6.3.0
    When I power on Tf201 it goes to Penguin images but then shuts off again.
    Some times it will even pass that stage and comes to screen when it shoes 'Optimizing apps' but it will again shutdown at 70/100 apps.
    I tried to go into recovery but it will again reboot on main TWRP Team screen.
    Sometimes it even passes that but when you try to do something it will suddenly reboot.

Would you please suggest anything which can help me get out of this situation.

Regards

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    Well, which Katkiss version are you running? Android 5, 6 or 7? For all of them your recovery is outdated and I am surprised it installed Katkiss at all!
    For KatKiss Android 5.x you need at least TWRP 2.8.+
    So that's the first thing you have to do: Flash the latest TWRP version in fastboot. Can you boot into fastboot?

TeamWin does not support the Prime anymore. You have to flash lj & flumpster's Kang version: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...rea51-t3047675
    Actually, I think they even provided that version in a zip you can flash in your current recovery. If you can't get into your recovery you have to do it in fastboot. General instructions for flashing a recovery in fastboot are in the Beginners Guide (link is below in my signature).
    The guide is for a different tablet, but the procedure is exactly the same, the only difference is the TWRP version you have to flash.

After flashing the recovery reboot the tablet - does not matter if the boot fails, all you need is the first part of the boot sequence when the recovery gets installed. Just boot as far as it will go, then you can reboot by long pressing Power and hold the Vol Down button to get into the bootloader, then press Vol Up on the flashing RCK to boot into recovery. Check the version

I bet you have not formatted /data in quite a while and I think you won't get around it. Sounds like a classic corruption of /data.
    If you have data on the tablet you cannot lose, try to access internal storage in adb when in recovery and pull your files off. Or use TWRP's build-in file browser to copy your data to a microSD. But if you do not have adb in recovery or TWRP cannot mount /data - sorry you're out of luck, the data is gone.
    Then format data in TWRP followed by converting /data to f2fs, https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...p-2-8-t3073471
    then flash your rom, gapps and SuperSU.
    Good luck, ask here if you need more pointers
    Last edited by droidbound; 06-03-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi droidbound, thanks for your response and apologies for not responding earlier.
    I have android 5. My TWRP is twrp-2.6.3.0-tf201-JB.blob 7.7M. I did custom rom using this thread you helped a lot in there as well. (TF201 custom ROM).

Actually, I cannot even go to recovery after pressing power and volume down it shows 3 icons RCK, Android, WipeData but then it suddenly shutdown so effectively I cannot do anything.

Regards

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    That does not sound good!
    If you have lost access to both recovery and fastboot your last straw is APX mode and that only helps if you had generated and saved your NVFlash blobs back when the tablet was still working.
    If you have never heard of these things - never mind, it's too late now.
    Try to boot into recovery immediately with the buttons, as in: Push Vol Up as soon as you see the screen with 3 icons and pray that the recovery boots.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    That does not sound good!
    If you have lost access to both recovery and fastboot your last straw is APX mode and that only helps if you had generated and saved your NVFlash blobs back when the tablet was still working.
    If you have never heard of these things - never mind, it's too late now.
    Try to boot into recovery immediately with the buttons, as in: Push Vol Up as soon as you see the screen with 3 icons and pray that the recovery boots.
    Hi droidbound, thanks for resonding.

I checked it installation directory and seems like I have some backups. They are in following directory format
    \015c7d7a4a4bca18\2016-05-07--10-02-38_JRO03C.WW_epad-10.4.2.18-20121022 mmm
    and files names with .win extension in it like system.ext4.win

would that be enough for APX recovery.

Regards

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    No, sorry. If you cannot access fastboot or recovery anymore you need more than some system backups to recover. Nvflash blobs are device specific, it's basically the brain stem of your tablet and to save them off the chip is a pretty involved process requiring you to flash a modded recovery and through it a modded bootloader, generating the blobs and then 🔀 the process. It's too late for that now.
    Hate to tell you this, but if you cannot get it to boot into fastboot or the recovery it's bricked....

Sent from my TF700T using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    HI droidbound, today magically my tf201 went into normal mode. Its still intermittent like it still reboots in recovery.

I checked it my TWRP is 2.8.7.2 @ AREA51

Do you know what this could be? why its still rebooting in recovery but can go into normal android.

How can I fix this?

is there something I can do within Android to fix it?

Do I still need to follow steps which you mentioned in your first email?

Kind Regards

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    Interesting...
    You still cannot boot into fastboot?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes that's correct. It's all matter of luck. I have to reboot many times before it goes to normal android.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    You have adb fastboot set up on your PC right?
    If you're still in Android, stay there. Don't reboot for now and let's see if we can solve this in adb.
    Check in Settings that you have USB debugging enabled, then check your adb connection with 'adb devices'.
    If all checks out we can flash a new recovery in adb shell, maybe clear the misc partition on top of it. Stuff on there often seems to get in the way....
    Thing is, for that I need to find a partition table for the Prime... I'll do some digging...

If you get adb access run these commands and post the result (type each line and hit Enter at the end. Wait for output, then enter next command. After exiting the shell hit Ctrl+A to select the content of the cmd window, then Ctrl+C to copy it)
    Code:
    adb devices
    adb shell
    cat /proc/partitions
    ls -l /dev/block/mmc*
    exit
    Edit: Found it
    Or at least I found a credible reference to mmcblk0p4 being the staging partition. And that is really all we need

@maxi82 At this point you really have to decide if you are willing to risk losing the tablet entirely. Every step you take from here on out could be the last one. I do not take responsibility for fixing your tablet, can't even promise that we won't brick it. What I have in mind is highly risky, unproven, never done before (at least by yours truly). I do see a chance for success but do not promise anything.
    Did I make myself crystal clear?
    Last edited by droidbound; 06-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    maxi82 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links