Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Searching for Knowledge

This is not specific to the Prime, though, the Prime will be my first tablet so I posted here. First off let me say that I use an iPhone, company provided, and am fairly well versed on the iPhone and iPad. I will be the first person in my company to get a tablet for corporate use. I have many reasons that I am getting the Prime over an iPad, however, after exhaustive research I still have a few Android Honeycomb/Transformer questions.

My work needs/wants for a tablet are as follows:
    1) Email, Calendar, Task management (Exchange for Work) (Google-Apps for Personal)
    2) Reading and annotating documents - Microsoft Office docs and PDFs
    3) Meeting notes - OneNote (I am aware of MobileNoter SE)
    4) Possibly presentations

My questions are as follows:

1) How well does Honeycomb/Transformer handle push syncing with Exchange out of the box without adding additional software?
    a) Email?
    b) Calendar?

2) How well does Honeycomb/Transformer handle multiple email accounts Exchange plus Google Mail?

3) Can Honeycomb/Transformer default calendar app handle multiple Exchange and Google calendars?

4) Has anyone used MobileNoter SE tablet version to sync with OneNote? If so does it work well?

Sorry for the long list. I have spent many hours trying to research for myself but due to various release levels and user knowledge I have not been able to pin point answers on these questions.

Thank you in advance for any constructive input and advice that is given.

TechJunkie
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 11-26-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I guess one question would be, what computer system does your company use? If they are Mac people, you'd better get an ipad as it will be more integrated than anything else. If they are windows people, then you are between a rock and hard place because neither the ipad nor android plays well with windows. If you had an android phone instead of an iphone, you'd have a lot more use for an android tablet. Right now it would be the "bastard child" for you. You can do documents on an android tablet and all the normal document things like reading and annotating or typing meeting notes, but there is no word processor that has a spell check. I'm not sure about presentations. I don't know of any software offhand, but I know the ipad 2 does Keynote presentations (I just sold my ipad 2 yesterday and am waiting for the Prime since I'm an android phone person... but a macintosh computer person... I love Apple computers, but I hate their mobile devices iOS). Calendar? Google calendar is great, but forget a program like Outlook if that's what you're looking for. I don't know about exhange. Email is easy on any phone/tablet/computer for regular imap and pop mail. Don't count on honeycomb being the OS of the new prime. I talked to support personel at Asus today and he said the delay in releasing it is because they are waiting for ICS to be finished.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    The only thing on your list I'm not sure about is Multiple calendars. I have 4 email accounts with one being work/exchange and all are handled fine. You can set it to push emails, look for them periodically, or only on demand. You can also tell it how many days of past emails to keep onboard. I usually set mine to a month. Can't answer 4, as I don't use MobileNoter or onenote.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    One of the departments is am responsible for is IT. We are, in fact, a Microsoft shop. I am not sure what the phone type has to do with the tablet I choose other than the synergies that the iPhone and iPad share which isn't that important to me. I want the best tablet for my perceived needs.

I am not looking to replicate the Exchange experience on a tablet. I am looking, instead, to replicate to some degree the features and functions that I have between my Exchange server and iPhone. The iPhone doesn't replicate outlook rather it syncs with it. It also syncs with Google and all my calendars.

I am getting an Android tablet because I do not like the boxed in feeling that the iPhone and iPad provide. That said, I still need the Android tablet to provide baseline functionality that is required to utilize this in a corporate environment. Exchange synchronization is one of those important functions.

I am surprised that the office applications provided on the Android platform do not provide spell check but this is something that I expect to be fixed in due time. Day one, however, I need to be able to reliably get my email and calendar items.

ICS does in deed provide some new features/benefits to the corporate environment.

Thanks

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Here is my take on this:

1) How well does Honeycomb/Transformer handle push syncing with Exchange out of the box without adding additional software?
    a) Email?
    b) Calendar?

I think it works pretty well. I am using Windows Live Mail as an exchange account, and it syncs the calendar and email nicely along with calendar. It allows you to pick which calendar to use (Google or Exchange or others if configured)

2) How well does Honeycomb/Transformer handle multiple email accounts Exchange plus Google Mail?
    There is a GMail app that only works with google addresses. I choose not to use this and set up my Google account with the Email app. I have my MobileMe, Yahoo, Windows Live and GMail all coming into the Email app. You can do a combined view of all your inboxes, or just one (similar to the iPhone). My biggest complaint are some of the features on the Email app (no search, no easy way to empty the trash0

3) Can Honeycomb/Transformer default calendar app handle multiple Exchange and Google calendars?
    Absolutely.

4) Has anyone used MobileNoter SE tablet version to sync with OneNote? If so does it work well?
    I have not. I have used the SuperNote that comes with it, but have not sync'd it.

As far as document editing, it comes with Polaris Office and there are many others (Documents To Go, Kingsoft Office, Office Suite Pro, QuickOffice HD Pro to name a few) but all of them do lack in line spell check.

For PDF annotation, 2 of the best are Repligo and ezPDF. They allow you to annotate on PDF documents and save them.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links