Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Tf201 diagnosis - question on batteries

I bought a tf700 (for parts), sight unseen. Turns out it was a tf201- an easy enough mistake to make for a layperson. Knowing what I do about diagnosing transformer pad tablets (thanks to this site, xda, and android forums), I decided to keep it. Was a great deal. Potentially, anyway. 😃

Ran through the usual methods of reviving a flat battery, and none of that worked. Checked the alignment of the power button, that was OK. Possible culprits now are the battery, ribbon cable, and motherboard. I have a ribbon cable to try, but no spare battery for a 201. I was wondering if I might could plug a 300 or 700 battery into the 201's board just to see if it powers up? I'd like to know, before I shell out for a replacement battery (and maybe have to return it). Has anyone tried something like this? I have used a ribbon cable from a 300 in a 700 once just to verify function, but being we're talking about a power source...
    I have noticed the 300 battery's part number is c21-tf201x, so I imagine there's a great similarity between the 300 and 201 model batteries. The plug /appears/ the same, just oriented differently.

Thoughts, ideas, comments?
    Thanks!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Welcome,

What you need to do is check the voltage/amperage of the different batteries to see if they are the same. If so, then you should be safe. If not, then especially with voltage, you will risk either failure if lower, or irreparable damage if higher.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome,

What you need to do is check the voltage/amperage of the different batteries to see if they are the same. If so, then you should be safe. If not, then especially with voltage, you will risk either failure if lower, or irreparable damage if higher.
    I don't have a multimeter handy, unfortunately. My thinking is that both devices use the same charge cable and charge block, so the input is the same, but as I'm writing this I realize what a battery takes in and puts out are two very different things. So, unless someone has some personal experience trying this, I guess I'd better just buy a used battery.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Aren't the ratings printed on the batteries somewhere?

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Aren't the ratings printed on the batteries somewhere?
    There are, but the batteries I have are covered in some kinda black film. I can see the 300's battery has the data showing through the back of the metal frame. While I could certainly try disassembling them to get the data, I'd like to avoid that.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Update: last night, I put the ribbon cable for the charge port from a 300 into a 201 to try that before buying a battery. After 24 hours (or so) trickle charge via pc USB, when you attempt to power on I get 3 blinks (orange) from the led indicator. So I know there must be functionality in the motherboard; still no charge on the battery. Progress, albeit a little confusing after googling for detailed info pertaining to what that indicates. 🤔

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    700 times
    I just checked on ebay and they seem to be all the same battery specs for TF201/300/700: 7.40v, 25wh, 3380 mAh
    That confirms what I would have guessed: Should not be a problem to pop the battery from a 300 into the Prime
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    I just checked on ebay and they seem to be all the same battery specs for TF201/300/700: 7.40v, 25wh, 3380 mAh
    That confirms what I would have guessed: Should not be a problem to pop the battery from a 300 into the Prime
    Lol- evidence ebay isn't empirical knowledge.
    Voltage is the same between C21-tf201p and C21-tf201x, but watt hours and milli amp hours are different. However, iirc, those figures pertain to the battery's life cycle per charge or something. So i'm gonna try that this weekend I think. I'll report back.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmm... Didn't work; might have killed it. 😱
    Short of owning an oscilloscope, we'll never know for sure. What I can say is this: tried C21-tf201x (300 battery) as sub for C21-tf201p (201 battery) and got zero response. Plugged C21-tf201p back in, and now I don't even get the 3 led blinks when plugging in the charger. Oops! 😟 at least it was only a $16 mistake I guess.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links