Thread: Sdcard permission denied unable to write to sd

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

Sdcard permission denied unable to write to sd

Hi, I got this transformer tf201 tab for Christmas to replace a 16gb v@luetab. I'm having an issue writing to sd. It reads and I'm able to access files just fine, but if I try to delete something off the card or copy files to it in the stock file explorer, I get a permission denied message. The card is a SanDisk ultra class 10 32gb formatted fat32, I'm assuming this is some kind of permission error so I've tried remount, just get another error, I've changed permissions in root browser and tried deleting from within the app, it says folder deleted but the folder remains, I've changed permissions in es file explorer same thing. On root explorer it shows the sdcard as rwxrwxrwx which means it should have write access.. It really doesn't make sense that the card should work fine in my pc, SanDisk cruzer, my HTC evo and my v@luetab, but not my transformer which is a far nicer device than anything else I have.. Hoping someone else has encountered this and has a solution, thank you!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

Have you tried using the TF to format the card?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Have you tried using the TF to format the card?
    Thank you for the speedy reply, I would definitely have tried this but in settings > storage there is no option to format the sd

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I think there is either a problem with the card or with the formatting. Try formatting it in a PC.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Hi Abigail,

As the tf201 is not a current device I am wondering if you have tried another microSD card in the tablet? If the card you have works perfectly well in other devices I cannot see the logic that would indicate it is the problem.

If your tf201 - which was a very expensive and top of the line device when it was released - is a refurbished one or similar, then it is just possible that you have a hardware glitch in the device.

The other possibility is that your tf201 is not stock and may be running a custom ROM - possibly KitKat (4.4) which does have glitches with external SD cards.

Can you tell us more about your device?

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Abigail,

As the tf201 is not a current device I am wondering if you have tried another microSD card in the tablet? If the card you have works perfectly well in other devices I cannot see the logic that would indicate it is the problem.

If your tf201 - which was a very expensive and top of the line device when it was released - is a refurbished one or similar, then it is just possible that you have a hardware glitch in the device.

The other possibility is that your tf201 is not stock and may be running a custom ROM - possibly KitKat (4.4) which does have glitches with external SD cards.

Can you tell us more about your device?
    I have tried formatting the card as of now to exfat and ntfs with no change, I also have a patriot 32gb which produces the same issue.. It is running stock 4.1.1 but it is a refurbished tablet. It seems odd that the transformer reads and recognizes the card just fine but I can't get it to write to the card no matter what I've tried, everything seems to indicate that it should have write access

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    As it is a refurb and you have tried a different card and different formats and still get the same results, logic clearly indicates that there is a hardware fault - either in the card slot or on the motherboard.

Only one other potential issue might cause this, but it isn't likely IMO, but to rule it out you have to do a Factory Reset to confirm that there isn't an issue with the relevant part of the OS.

All the best
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    After a little experimentation I've discovered that a 16gb card out of an old phone works and a 64 gb card out of my father's phone works fine as well, it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem, it appears to bee an issue with the software on this tablet because the 32gb cards work just fine in other devices, I'd like to know why this tablet doesn't like these cards when they work just fine in other devices, is there a recommended format and or allocation size? I've tried fat32 exfat and ntfs
    ASUSFAN0001 likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail420 View Post
    After a little experimentation I've discovered that a 16gb card out of an old phone works and a 64 gb card out of my father's phone works fine as well, it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem, it appears to bee an issue with the software on this tablet because the 32gb cards work just fine in other devices, I'd like to know why this tablet doesn't like these cards when they work just fine in other devices, is there a recommended format and or allocation size? I've tried fat32 exfat and ntfs
    Based on your added information...it's likely your microSD card itself.

They either work or they don't...regardless of if they are 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, and/or 128gb.

If any one size worked...that further points to the one card that didn't as the source of the problem.
    Last edited by ASUSFAN0001; 01-16-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    leeshor and janner43 like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had the same issue with trying to move/copy files from the internal memory to the SD card and kept getting captions stating an error. I sent several emails to Asus but their geek Muppets said it was a Google version 5 issue and this would not be possible. After a frustrating month I finally got to move/copy/delete and write to the SD card. I used the Astro File manager which I added from the play store. Firstly I formatted the Sandisk 64G microsd on my computer and renamed the SD in the Volume Label to MICRO 64USB I also changed the setting from exFAT to the NS config. It then worked! No help from Asus. Complete Muppets!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links