Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

PC <--> TF-201 connection general questions about linking and duplicate file entries

Greetings!

As I said in my prior post, a hearty "Thank You!" to everyone here!

Likewise, despite my diligent search-and-read of many excellent documents, how-to's, and FAQ's, if what I ask is already covered, please excuse my ignorance and point me in the right way.

When I talk about "connecting to a PC", I mean an Intel system running some flavor of either Windows or Linux via an accessible USB2 or USB3 port.

1. Connecting to a PC.
    Many threads mention that in order to connect the tablet to a PC, you have to download a whole host of software packages, install drivers, and do a lot of other things to make the connection happen.

In my experience, using a Toshiba tablet running Win-7 64bit, I first had to get a working USB <--> tablet cable, as the one that I received with mine was damaged. It would charge just wonderfully, but it would not connect worth a damn.

Once I got a real, working USB cable for the tablet, I plugged it in. When I plugged it in, it recognized the device and proceeded to install some drivers:
    First: It recognized the device and was apparently able to access the file structure. Then it disappeared.
    Second: It re-recognized the device and installed three drivers: A USB Composite device, a "MD" (or something like that), device, and then an "ADS" or "ASD" (I forget which) driver that it downloaded from Windows Update.

After that, I was able to access the device as a "Portable Media Device"

Once I was able to access the device's file system, I looked through it and I noticed something interesting.
    When I looked at "my" folders - things like "Books", "Movies", "Downloads", etc. - I noticed that many, but not all, of the items were shown twice using the exact same name, exact same details, and were the exact same size. The only difference was in some of the movie files. Some of the duplicated entries had a "time" entry as part of the movie's entry, like this:

How to bork a TF-201.mkv
    156 mb

How to bork a TF-201.mkv
    00:00
    156 mb

"Obviously" (ha!) since storage is precious, and since both Google and I had restored stuff to the device, I "assumed" () that the duplicates were caused by the dual restore. So, I deleted all the duplicate entries.

Result:
    1. Windows Explorer crashed.
    2. After restarting the Windows window manager, (Explorer), I noticed that Windows thought that the SD card installed in the tablet was still there after I unmounted it. I could even open it to view the files therein! (Though I did not try to do anything with them. . . .)
    3. I "safely removed" the tablet's MD and ADS (?) devices from Windows, disconnected the tablet's USB cable from the laptop, and then re-connected it.
    4. After re-connecting the USB cable, I was absolutely unable to connect to the tablet, no matter what I did, or where I plugged in the USB cable.
    5. Examining the tablet itself disclosed that whenever I found a duplicate entry and deleted it, now both items were gone. (i.e. If I found a duplicate entry for book "X", or movie "X". when I restarted the tablet both entries were now gone.)

I ultimately tried rebooting the computer, (no luck), rebooting the tablet, (still no luck), nuking the tablet to factory defaults and letting Google rebuild it - and re-installing and updating the previously installed apps - (still no luck) and then I placed it into a different USB port than the first time, whereupon it recognized the device and allowed me to connect it.

Questions:

1. Is it normal for the TF-201 to be so finicky about connecting?
    2. Is the "two of everything" either common or "normal"? I notice that if I use the third-party "X-plore" file manager app, that I sometimes saw duplicate book entries - and if I deleted one of them, both would disappear.
    3. I went and collected all the various pieces of software that were specified in the various FAQ's and Master Guides. Are they necessary? Would using them improve my experience?

Again, a hearty "Thank You!" to everyone and I appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.

Jim (J.R.)
    Last edited by jharris1993; 10-08-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Update subscription settings that I overlooked.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    You can check out my other post to get a better idea of what you are getting into. When you are access ming user files in the tablet you are using the MTP interface. If you are a developer or trying to hack your device you are using the ADB driver interface. Windows will easily install the MTO drivers and sometimes the ADB ones as in your case automatically. You should only really worry about whether you can access the files on your computer or not which it seems you could before.

It also seems like you ran into a duplicate file structure system in which the 2 different labels can have the same file attached to them. I haven't heard of this in any other devices but I don't think it us a big issue.

As far as getting the connection to work again you are best to try rebooting both devices (sounds simple but usually works) if you know how to access the windows device manager you can remove the drivers that are currently installed so that it will re initialize when you the connect it.

Honestly the very best way to transfer files to and from your tablet is with a micro ad card and adapter. That way you can put things in the card the way you want them, transfer the card to the tablet and then either leave things where they are or use a time manager to move things across to the inter am memory.

At this point. Depending upon which guide you read, you shouldn't have any reason to download any extra software.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I wonder... Did you ever check with your tablet's file manager if you had one two entries for those files?
    This sounds as if the problem is entirely on the Windows side - or the program you used to browse your tablet's files.
    Who knows what drivers your PC installed for the tablet.... I wouldn't trust Windows to download and install the correct ones.
    I think you may want to try to uninstall all drivers Windows installed (plugged into each of the two USB ports you used and checking Device Manager if it has drivers installed) and uninstalling them, then installing the Universal Naked Drivers or other drivers packs you can find on XDA.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Update:

First, I downloaded and installed the (bad pun!) "root-kit" (motochopper?) that was suggested in my other thread on rooting the device. According to everything I have seen, it installed properly. Quite frankly, aside from the command window that claimed to have successfully pushed the exploit, installed the root tools, and rebooted the tablet, I have no real idea if the root worked or not. The screen hasn't turned a sickly green, there is no blood dripping out of the dock connector, and it has not started going out at night to kill people! (Hey! This sounds like a great idea for a Stephen King novel!)

I then downloaded and installed the PC utility package, EeePAD_PC_Suite_v1_0_37, and let it reboot my laptop.

I connected the tablet to the PC, let it recognize the tablet, install drivers, and present the filesystem for review.

I then attempted to move about 20 Gb of stuff that I had backed up off the tablet back to the tablet via the USB connector. The reason I did it this way was that, if I can use the USB cable to move stuff back-and-forth to the tablet, I should be able to move stuff back-and-forth to the tablet! Likewise, if it takes "X" amount of time to move stuff to the tablet, and "Y" amount of time to move stuff to a micro-SD card, then obviously skipping the SD card step will speed things along considerably.

Windows Explorer still crashes after some arbitrary amount of stuff has been moved. (measured in Gb).

This makes me wonder: If I cannot trust the USB connection to transfer files without crashing, how can I trust it to accurately root the device, or (God help me!) transfer a new ROM image to it?

Re: Duplicate file entry objects.

The duplicate objects show up, (within the device itself), in my file manager, (X-Plore), the ASUS book reader, MX-player, (my video player app), and I think Google's reader too. There may be other instances of this that I do not remember.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

Jim (J.R.)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Download Root Checker from the Play Store and run it.
    I still suspect your PC to be the source of crashes and the duplicate file entries.
    Try a wireless solution: Superbeam and Airdroid work great.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Download Root Checker from the Play Store and run it.
    I still suspect your PC to be the source of crashes and the duplicate file entries.
    Try a wireless solution: Superbeam and Airdroid work great.
    Update:
    I was able to confirm that the "root-kit" (laughing!) worked by the use of both CleanerMaster and VyprVPN.

When I ran CleanerMaster for the first time after rooting my tablet, it recognized that the tablet had been rooted, and asked me for permission to exploit the additional privilege. When I granted it permission to do so, SuperSU immediately jumped up complaining that CleanerMaster was requesting elevated privilege, which I granted.

Having done that, it allowed me to un-install a fair number of pre-installed apps - G-Mail, Google's movie player, YouTube, etc.

I have been a "diamond" level member of Giganews for years, and I have had the use of their VyprVPN utility on my laptop for as long as they have offered it. You can go see my own review of their services here on my own blog site at QA Tech Tips.

Recently they released a version of their VyprVPN client for the Android operating system, and I downloaded it but never got around to using it. Today, I finally got around to firing it up. When I did so, the O/S popped up a warning explaining that VyprVPN, as a VPN client, wanted to intercept and process ALL network traffic, and did I really trust it? Of course I did, and it worked wonderfully.

Ergo, "root" worked.

Re: Duplicated entries and Windows Explorer crashes.

I am not in a position to say who is to blame for the Windows Explorer crashes, and for the time being I am willing to lay it at Microsoft's feet, though I may reserve judgement later on.

However, with respect to the doubled file entries, this was apparent to me long before I was able to get the tablet to communicate with my laptop. Up to this point, I have been using micro-SD cards to "sneaker transfer" book and movie files to the tablet. Even without using a direct connection to the tablet, I was experiencing seemingly random occurrences of duplicate file entries.

Q.E.D. - The connection to my Windows laptop cannot be the cause of this.

Since this issue has persisted despite several total wipe-and-restore operations, (the "nuke it back to the stone-age" reset to factory settings), the issues must be of a more fundamental nature - a latent bug in the O/S perhaps?

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Or perhaps I need to cut back on the hard drugs and get my glasses checked? ( )

Jim (J.R.)

p.s. The TF-201 is notorious for having abysmal WiFi reception, not to mention a great GPS system totally shielded by it's metal back. Since I can't get reasonable WiFi connect speeds unless I put the thing within about six feet of the wireless endpoint it's connected to, I really don't like to use WiFi as a bulk transfer medium. I've done it, and for a file transfer that would complete in less than an hour using a USB or SD card, it can take multiples of hours to complete via WiFi. Assuming the connection doesn't crash.
    Last edited by jharris1993; 10-10-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    The tf201 unfortunately was left behind on android 4.1 (assuming you have updated it)

Over time bugs get fixed and things get more stable but older devices can't get these updates. That is the major draw for people to root and I stall firmware on their device. A lot if people choose to install KitKat ROMs even on devices as old as the tf101 and it breaths new life into them. If you ever get a new device and want to play around with this on the prime... You know where to ask

I cannot see any quick fix to your duplicate issue at present.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    The tf201 unfortunately was left behind on android 4.1 (assuming you have updated it)

Over time bugs get fixed and things get more stable but older devices can't get these updates. That is the major draw for people to root and I stall firmware on their device. A lot if people choose to install KitKat ROMs even on devices as old as the tf101 and it breaths new life into them. If you ever get a new device and want to play around with this on the prime... You know where to ask
    Gtanner00,

Re: Being left behind at a (relatively) ancient release.
    One word: Errrrrr. . . .

Looking on the bright side, at the very least it's a 4.n release! A couple of years ago, a store called Big Lots was selling a tablet for considerably less than $100 (US), and it piqued my interest. That is until I discovered it was running Android 2.n, where n < 4 or 5. I decided that if I wanted that kind of headaches, I could re-install Vista for free! (laughing!)

Re: Updating the image via flashing the ROM.
    One word: Yikes! (more laughter!)

Seriously, the thought had crossed my mind. Thinking about it, a lot of my hesitation regarding rooting, etc., is based on research done prior to my finding these fora. I did a dogpile/google search on the subject of rooting my tablet and 99.99999. . .99999. . .99999% of the results were scary to say the least. When you find a site whose primary contributor has something like "DeathMaster" as his handle, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. You know what I mean. You go to a site and the hairs on the back of your neck start to prickle.

In contrast, this site is much more confidence building. I made a point of reading at least a part of the FAQ's and HOW-TO articles. I also spent some time reading threads prior to signing up. The advice was polite, considered, and professional. More important, the replies on this site made no bones about warning people when they're about to do something abysmally stupid. And even when they have done something abysmally stupid, instead of ramming it up their butt, you, (plural you), are again considered in your responses, polite, professional, and you make an honest attempt to bail the blithering idiot out of the hole he dug for himself.

My kind of people. I hope you believe me when I say that I am eternally indebted to this site for the wealth of information provided, not to mention the great help provided here.

On that same subject, (sideways - sort-of), I have seen discussions on doing system backups of tablets. Some of the articles made it sound like they were taking full system "bare metal" images in a manner not unlike the way Acronis can create a bare-metal image of a PC.

Now I don't want to go into huge amounts of detail, as I am sure that the articles on this subject treat it exhaustively. However a couple of questions are in order:

First:
    Is it truly possible to do the equivalent of a "bare metal" backup on these tablets?

Second:
    Assuming that a bare-metal backup can be done, can this be used to recover a borked tablet? That is, if I were to take a bare metal backup of my tablet as it is, attempt to upgrade it to a later-and-greater release and bork the system beyond all recognition while doing so - can I use the backup to roll the system back to a known working state? Or am I just plane ole' hozed?

Third: (OK, I can't count!)
    Assuming I do try this, what is a good target image for this tablet? Is it an Asus release and/or does it support all the existing hardware and features of my tablet?

Thanks again!

Jim (J.R.)

P.S. Talk is cheap. I decided if I was really going to show my appreciation, I should get myself one of those shiny blue badges for my profile! As it is, I feel I have received much more value in advice and guidance than the $10 it costs for the badge just in the last few days.

Now all I have to do is find a dancing gorilla, (laughing!), as my avatar! (Just kidding. I haven't been a teenager in a long time.)
    Last edited by jharris1993; 10-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Hey Jim. The best thing you could read right now would be the tf300 root and ROM guide in my signature. It is much more professionally written than anything I could write here on the spot. The same, it similar process would apply in a tf201. When you are reading, keep in mind that the hard coded backup you are referring to is called a Nandroid and requires a custom recovery.

I really wouldn't put too much sock into threads which tell horror stories about root. Believe me I had some sleepless nights thinking about the same thing. Most of those threads were written by people who go blindly in to these things and don't do any real research (for example using a method meant for Samsung on an ASUS device) like I said, XDA is the primary source for all if this information and i am simply putting it into a form which is understandable. If you read my thread you and other threads in the tf300 development section you will notice that when things go wrong, there are ways to get things back to normal if you don't forge ahead without asking for assistance.

______

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jharris1993 View Post
    Gtanner00,

Re: Being left behind at a (relatively) ancient release.
    One word: Errrrrr. . . .

Looking on the bright side, at the very least it's a 4.n release! A couple of years ago, a store called Big Lots was selling a tablet for considerably less than $100 (US), and it piqued my interest. That is until I discovered it was running Android 2.n, where n < 4 or 5. I decided that if I wanted that kind of headaches, I could re-install Vista for free! (laughing!)

Re: Updating the image via flashing the ROM.
    One word: Yikes! (more laughter!)

Seriously, the thought had crossed my mind. Thinking about it, a lot of my hesitation regarding rooting, etc., is based on research done prior to my finding these fora. I did a dogpile/google search on the subject of rooting my tablet and 99.99999. . .99999. . .99999% of the results were scary to say the least. When you find a site whose primary contributor has something like "DeathMaster" as his handle, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. You know what I mean. You go to a site and the hairs on the back of your neck start to prickle.

In contrast, this site is much more confidence building. I made a point of reading at least a part of the FAQ's and HOW-TO articles. I also spent some time reading threads prior to signing up. The advice was polite, considered, and professional. More important, the replies on this site made no bones about warning people when they're about to do something abysmally stupid. And even when they have done something abysmally stupid, instead of ramming it up their butt, you, (plural you), are again considered in your responses, polite, professional, and you make an honest attempt to bail the blithering idiot out of the hole he dug for himself.

My kind of people. I hope you believe me when I say that I am eternally indebted to this site for the wealth of information provided, not to mention the great help provided here.

On that same subject, (sideways - sort-of), I have seen discussions on doing system backups of tablets. Some of the articles made it sound like they were taking full system "bare metal" images in a manner not unlike the way Acronis can create a bare-metal image of a PC.

Now I don't want to go into huge amounts of detail, as I am sure that the articles on this subject treat it exhaustively. However a couple of questions are in order:

First:
    Is it truly possible to do the equivalent of a "bare metal" backup on these tablets?
    Yes, it's called a nandroid.
    Second:
    Assuming that a bare-metal backup can be done, can this be used to recover a borked tablet? That is, if I were to take a bare metal backup of my tablet as it is, attempt to upgrade it to a later-and-greater release and bork the system beyond all recognition while doing so - can I use the backup to roll the system back to a known working state? Or am I just plane ole' hozed?
    That's exactly what a nandroid is for. As long as you have a working recovery and/or fastboot connection 99% of all problems are fixable.
    Most people I have witnessed hard bricking their device made the biggest mistake before flashing: not doing enough research.
    Third: (OK, I can't count!)
    Assuming I do try this, what is a good target image for this tablet? Is it an Asus release and/or does it support all the existing hardware and features of my tablet?
    in the last few days.
    Check out Timudru's KatKiss thread in the Development section of the TF201 forum on XDA. Great rom, great support. Can't tell you more since I don't have this tablet...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links