Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Giving a TF201 the best chance to take reliable handwritten/drawn notes

I've bought a Caseen Vibe stylus which draws on my TF201 a little better than a rubber-tipped stylus. And it's more accurate than using my finger. I'm drawing into OneNote under Android 4.1.1. But the screen/stylus combination still sometimes skip sections of drawn lines. They're also slow to respond when I stop a line segment and then start another as often happens if a diagram has small details or when handwriting one word after another. And, of course, that's what happens if the tablet accidentally breaks what should've been a continuous line.

Given that my TF201 sometimes hesitates when it's doing other tasks, regardless of whether it's drawing or not (for example when it's updating lots of emails), I wondered what I can do to "switch" off as many background tasks as possible to give the tablet the best possible chance of concentrating its firepower on my OneNote ink.

I've tried switching WiFi off so there's no background synching. I've also switched off BlueTooth. (And there's no SIM so there's no other way for it to synch).

I've set the ASUS performance settings to "performance" rather than "balanced".

I think these help a little.

I also notice that drawings are more reliable, though less readable, when I use OneNote's thick strokes rather than thin (though I'd like to be able to use thinner strokes for legibility).

But I still get hesitations which leave gaps in my ink. Or where the display doesn't respond quickly after a break in the ink.

I thought of killing some tasks but I get the impression they'll only restart. And killing lots of them would take so long as to be a big disincentive to take spur-of-the-moment notes anyway.

So is there anything else I can do to keep the tablet from processing other things unduly when I want it to focus as fully as possible on OneNote for hand-drawn notes perhaps?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I think most if the problems you are seeing are a result if the digitizer sensitivity. Capacitating screens aren't meant to be used with pens.

For example, the Samsung Note series of phones and tablets as well as Microsoft surface incorporate a separate digitizer which can detect a pen and turn off the main touch panel. You get two advantages with this. Detailed pressure sensitivity for your pen strokes and palm rejection for your hand (only the pen tip is detected)

Since the transformer prime is an older device, it may not have a sensitive enough screen to track a fine tipped stylus.

In the future you may want to invest in a tablet like the nvidia shield tab, galaxy note, or surface which would give you far superior note taking abilities.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, if I were buying now those options would all be very appealing - especially any with palm recognition. So I'm not expecting great performance on the TF201 given that's not what it's normally optimised for. But I did wonder whether I can improve on current performance. One way, of course, is to write or draw slower, but I wondered if I could do anything more to improve the tablet's performance at drawing a little further even if the end result remains imperfect.

Thanks

Kevin

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links