Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

Media App causing battery drain

A month or so back I had a serious battery drain problem on my TF201. I identified it as the Media App and disabled it. I then did a factory reset (overdue, especially with updating to JB). Everything was working great until today when I noticed the Media App again causing battery drain.

I saw someone had noted this earlier:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...sue-sorry.html

However, in that thread another app was named the culprit. When I initially hit this problem I did some searching on the web generally, which helped identify the Media App as the problem,

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any solution beyond disabling the Media App? Regular Factory Resets are a little extreme!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    21 times

Re: Media App causing battery drain

What media app are you talking about?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
    My device: White TF300T, Stock Android 4.2.1, NOT unlocked.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1053 times
    Check this link for some possible ideas about this problem:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...4-battery.html

Also a Google search on "android media server" will yield a lot of hits. Check those out and you will probably find an explanation and solution.
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks; the app is described as Media under Settings> Battery. It is associated with Media Storage (or the other way around). After the Factory reset it didn't even figure in the Battery Usage details; now it is always there and clearly keeping the tablet awake.

I read the posts and links you suggested. From what I read, I figured it might be caused by some dodgy media, so I scanned the music on my Micro SD card with MP3 Checker. It flagged a few files, which I removed; I then removed 99% of my jpegs; I thought a handful might have caused this as they were 'legacy' images from my PC that I haven't been able to open for years, but have never thrown away. That said, they have no file suffix, as I don't know what format they are! Therefore, the tablet might not even treat them as media.

Anyway, Media is still a significant part of the battery usage, and still causing a drain when it should be asleep. Short of removing the Micro SD card, which isn't really practical, I'm not sure what else I can do. However, I will remove the Micro SD Card for a while to see if it is the problem.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1053 times
    I think what you are seeing is the Android media service which is being invoked by an app you have installed. What app are you using to play your MP3's with? Also keep in mind the battery use will display the percentage that the service is using as part of the total used. So you could use 50% of your battery and of that 50% could be the media service.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Removing the MicroSD card has removed the Media App from the battery statistics. I'm now reformatting the card to see if that improves things. I'll then add media to it gradually.

I'm using Songbird for music, and I understand that the percentages are of the consumed battery; what concerns me is that this happened when the tablet was asleep and after a cold reboot and no music had been played.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1053 times
    Does Songbird autostart whenever you power up the tablet? Is it always running when you check settings>apps>running ?
    If it does then that might be why it shows so much media service use. Have you tried a different player? Jet Audio is quite popular on this forum.

Download CPU Spy -- If your tablet does not enter Deep Sleep an app or service is most likely keeping your tablet awake using resources.
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Currently Songbird is not running; I've not noticed before, but at the moment there are no mp3 files for it to play! I'll keep a watch using CPU Spy.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    I've loaded MP3s onto the reformatted MicroSD card and I've had no trouble. Either the card or some files on it were upsetting the tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I've noticed a similar effect on my TF700T when I sync'd over the contents of my PC's picture folder. I wanted to have all my images available to me when I was mobile, and I used robocopy to update them wirelessly via samba. This resulted in the Media service whoring my battery on both the tablet and dock to 0% in a day, when I used to be able to go several days before hitting 50%. I dumped the pic folder on the tab and now have a 64GB usb stick that I use as required and that seems to have solved the issue. I guess Android just can't handle a multi folder organization of 100,000 images without media indexing having a seizure trying to manage it.

I wish indexing allowed exclusion like Windows Search. I'm going to make a feature request about it on Google's forum.

Ads