Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times

Unbrick your TF201 using this method....Hopefully :)

Thanks to Moe5508 over at XDA...requires you to be unlocked unfortunately.

I got my TFP 201 into a "brick" last night while trying to restore a nandroid backup to fix the CM9 Nightly SODs/reboots. This was using TWRP recovery (v2.1.3). Silly me, in my drowsy mutli-tasking state, I forgot to do any wipes and found myself in some kind of a "brick", soft or hard to early to determine at this stage.
    I tried several reboots to no avail and that's when I started panicking and reality set in...a quick check here on the types of bricks confirmed my worst fears. I could get the device into fastboot (but not ADB at this point...) and this looked like the unrecoverable OPTION 3 BRICK!!! Sweat poured down my face like drops of rain! But after about 20 hours later and much trial and error I have managed to revive my device. Here's what the really important lucid steps are that I've managed to take-away on this silver side of that very dark cloud:
    1. My PC setup: Windows 7 32-bit
    2.Android SDK folder is here: C:/android-sdk/ and ADB and fastboot are in the platform-tools sub-folder
    3.Somewhere along the way I unintentionally wiped system, boot, kernel, recovery etc etc and just had a shell
    4.And I essentially was in a fastboot loop - that's the only thing I could boot into

-I got the WSG Unbricker v1.01 tool and extracted it. I got the boot.img file from here and just to be on the safe side I renamed it boot.blob (don't ask why...)
    -Then I erased everything again, this time, intentionally, to start with a clean device using these commands: fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase recovery
    fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase boot
    fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase system
    fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase userdata
    -With device still in fastboot I then flashed the boot image from WSG Unbricker using this command: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot boot.blob
    -I then flashed Roach's modified CWM Touch Recovery (extracted the blob file inside the zip) using: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery touch-recoveryblob
    -All these files (boot and recovery) that I flashed, I'd already copied to the platform-tools sub folder under C:/android-sdk
    -I rebooted the device and voila this time I had 3 options in the menu (with power + vol up: WIPE DATA; USB; ANDROID icon. Power + vol down optioned me RCK with vol up and voila I was in Touch Recovery and my device was listed in ADB.
    -I opened Command Prompt by right clicking the platform-tools sub-folder while holding SHIFT key and choosing "open command window here"
    -Typing "adb devices" showed my device was indeed listed and attached
    -Then comes the totally inexplicable part from my side and at this point I decided to run through all the steps of OPTION 1a while I was in adb shell i.e. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1; and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=16 count=1
    -I then rebooted into (my choice was still limited to either fastboot or Touch Recovery...) RECOVERY as none of my searches had yielded any solution for how to copy files into internal sdcard on TFP 201 using fastboot
    -Got back into adb shell again and started the command line magic again. Just as a test I tried to see if I could create directories on the sdcard and true enough "mkdir /sdcard/ROM" was successful, tested by this listing command "ls /sdcard" which returned ROM
    -So then I could copy a ROM zip file into this folder and flash it successfully from recovery. I opted for the small sized AOKP ROMs and after exiting adb shell ran this command: adb push ROM_AOKP.zip /sdcard/ROM and 100sec later file was copied successfully
    -In Touch Recovery, chose flash ROM from sdcard and managed to boot perfectly.

I've learnt my lesson and hope this can help someone else out there, albeit by trial and error...
    Last edited by bfmetcalf; 10-06-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1625 times
    I have a good idea, don't brick it in the first place.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    for some of us, the units bricked when installing a factory ugrade (jellybean). some of the TF201s are defective as they brick up whenever a factory upgrade is attempted. And so far, I havenīt seen an answer about how to unbrick them without sending to Asus. Wish Asus would publish the steps they use to unbrick tablets, since there are quite a few of them, if you read these forums.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by willward View Post
    for some of us, the units bricked when installing a factory ugrade (jellybean). some of the TF201s are defective as they brick up whenever a factory upgrade is attempted. And so far, I havenīt seen an answer about how to unbrick them without sending to Asus. Wish Asus would publish the steps they use to unbrick tablets, since there are quite a few of them, if you read these forums.

I read this forum. Virtually no bricks reported because of a factory upgrade. Most bricked Transformers are the result of user error.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    bricked by tf201 from upgrading JB... tried follow n success everything in this post but finally still no luck after flash the rom, same splash screen still here... any idea?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    423 times
    I would say go have a poke around at xda-developers.com. their forums are by far the best thing for this. I don't have issues like this with the TF101 because it doesn't have a locked bootloader so it is very easy to unbrick so I have no experience with it.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I was just rooted, All I did was unlock the asus with the asus tool. Try to reboot in recovery using CWM and since then I am stuck on the main screen, please help

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    @bfmetcalf thank you very much !
    With your post I unbrick my tablet.

I also had problem with :
    1. can't access to my device by adb in windows 8, post #5: Windows 8 can't install recovery mode ADB Drivers - xda-developers
    2. can't push file to device: the cause was not the possibility of mounting /system. But I format it in recovery and try again push file.

I push cm-10 (link)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey I found this and if fixed my prime you need to use windows 7 or XP 32 bit I tried on Win 8 64 no luck.
    Unrecoverable bootloader error but not Bricked! - Page 2 - xda-developers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Padfone 1
    Liked
    0 times
    You have provided me with the great information and it really helped me out in solving a lot of problems.

Ads