Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

JB bricked my TF201 - can't even turn it off - stuck on boot screen

Attempted the JB update, seemed to install (I also did it on my wife's which worked fine no issues for her) but on mine it must have failed and failed hard as now I am infinitely stuck on the "Asus Eee Pad" boot screen and if you try to shut it off it just reboots... endless loop. So, there is no way to even shut it down. It just reboots back to this screen! If I try to boot using power+volume down I get the white text options of (1) wipe data and (2) Android and so I pick #2 and it says "cold booting Linux" but nothing happens.. ever.. ever. Press reset button just reboots but it just reboots anyway.

I finally just had to let it run down and kill the battery. No other option.

WTF happened and how can I get out of it? Wiping data is not an option I want.

I am pretty well versed in Android - rooted, OC'd, hacked, modded many Android devices... this is a first for me. Nice, 9 month old tablet bricked by Asus' own OTA update.

I figure there must be some way to maybe attach it to my computer and sideload JB or some other function related to attaching to a computer? But if so, not sure of the steps. Again, not intersted in the data wipe option it gives me and Asus said either RMA ir or try data wipe first and we all know, if you send it to them, they are just going to data wipe it right out of the box to try to fix it as they don't care about your data, only about getting the device to work.

BTW, yes I had plenty of battery and I was rooted but stock and no unlocked bootloader.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Wow, 9 months, first post! Sorry about your issues.

Since you are not unlocked, AFAIK there is no way to push a ROM or custom recovery to it.

But, what I would do is go download the JB ROM from the TF201 Support site.

Unzip it once (it will still be a .zip)

Place it on a microSD formatted for FAT32.

Insert in your tablet.

Hold VOL DOWN and POWER for 12-15 seconds. When the white text appears, release both and hit VOL UP. This will enter stock recovery and trigger a manual firmware update and re-install this version of the firmware and hopefully boot when it is done.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    It looks like the JB update is bricking many primes, including mine.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post

Since you are not unlocked, AFAIK there is no way to push a ROM or custom recovery to it.

Insert in your tablet.

Hold VOL DOWN and POWER for 12-15 seconds. When the white text appears, release both and hit VOL UP. This will enter stock recovery and trigger a manual firmware update and re-install this version of the firmware and hopefully boot when it is done.
    9 months, but I have thousands of posts - literally - on other Android related forums (you can see I joined in Jan when I got my TF201)

But Google pointed me here as it reveled others with this issue.

Anyway, I will try your idea as I had not seen this before. Thanks. I will report back.
    Last edited by Lock_N_Load; 10-04-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Insert in your tablet.

damn.. didnt work. I get the dead Andy with red exclamation.

does this not mean recovery failed to load? how is that even possible? Or does it mean I messed up the process? I downloaded the zip, extracted to the zip inside (which has the blob), formatted a microSD to fat32, and inserted and booted into recovery as stated.
    Last edited by Lock_N_Load; 10-04-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    38 times
    It is a zip within a zip, only unzip once when on micro card reboot & it should load update...

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I think you extracted once too many times. There is a blob in a zip in a zip. You want to extract once so it is a blob in a zip and put that on the microSD.

The dead andy just means that the signature check on the file failed (not the right file time, size, etc) so it aborted the update.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you extracted once too many times. There is a blob in a zip in a zip. You want to extract once so it is a blob in a zip and put that on the microSD.

The dead andy just means that the signature check on the file failed (not the right file time, size, etc) so it aborted the update.
    No, thats what I did. It is "US_epad-user-10.4.2.15.zip" on the MicroSD and in that is the blob and the META-INF... so I think I got that right. I did not have the blob and the META-INF in the root of the MicroSD

"The dead andy just means that the signature check on the file failed (not the right file time, size, etc) so it aborted the update." - so what does that mean? Signature check on the file I downloaded or on the recovery image? Does it mean I am SOL?

UPDATE: redownloaded file, reextracted, and it failed... same dead Andy
    Last edited by Lock_N_Load; 10-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    The dead andy means many things. One of which could be that it can't see the update, or as Frederuco put it, failed the signature check (on the update zip) etc.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    46 times

Re: JB bricked my TF201 - can't even turn it off - stuck on boot screen

Quote Originally Posted by Lock_N_Load View Post
    No, thats what I did. It is "US_epad-user-10.4.2.15.zip" on the MicroSD and in that is the blob and the META-INF... so I think I got that right. I did not have the blob and the META-INF in the root of the MicroSD

"The dead andy just means that the signature check on the file failed (not the right file time, size, etc) so it aborted the update." - so what does that mean? Signature check on the file I downloaded or on the recovery image? Does it mean I am SOL?

UPDATE: redownloaded file, reextracted, and it failed... same dead Andy
    Is your Prime rooted and if so did you change or mod any system files? This will almost always result in a failed update. If you have the option to wipe data that might be the best option. Check for any apps you may have frozen or disabled.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links