Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Arrow Please HELP! Jellybean broke my TF201!

I went to asus website and downloaded the newest firmware (Jellybean) and put it on my 16gb sd card. I held the power button down, and turned off my transformer prime TF201 device.

When I booted it back up, it showed an update available on the status bar and I selected it and began the update.

My device had 32% power left, but just to be sure I connected it to the wall outlet. It installed the update and everything seemed to be going fine. I saw the status bar grow until it reached max, and then it rebooted into what appears to be a boot screen which says:

ASUS
    Inspiring Innovation. Persistent Perfection.

On the bottom right of the otherwise completely black screen is the "Powered by Nvidia Tegra" logo.

I can leave it on this screen for hours and nothing happens.

YES - My device is completely stock.

Before this, I never had any problems with any of the updates. I never get the OTA updates, so I just manually do them all by downloading from the official download page of ASUS.

I really love this tablet and I use it everyday.

I hope someone can help me figure this out!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1048 times
    Could have something to do with the update being on the sd card, no?
    I was under the impression you should transfer the update file to the root directory pre-installation.
    I don't know enuff about it, I'm sure someone will be along that does though. ..hold tight.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    53 times

Re: Please HELP! Jellybean broke my TF201!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsPrime View Post
    I went to asus website and downloaded the newest firmware (Jellybean) and put it on my 16gb sd card. I held the power button down, and turned off my transformer prime TF201 device.

When I booted it back up, it showed an update available on the status bar and I selected it and began the update.

My device had 32% power left, but just to be sure I connected it to the wall outlet. It installed the update and everything seemed to be going fine. I saw the status bar grow until it reached max, and then it rebooted into what appears to be a boot screen which says:

ASUS
    Inspiring Innovation. Persistent Perfection.

On the bottom right of the otherwise completely black screen is the "Powered by Nvidia Tegra" logo.

I can leave it on this screen for hours and nothing happens.

YES - My device is completely stock.

Before this, I never had any problems with any of the updates. I never get the OTA updates, so I just manually do them all by downloading from the official download page of ASUS.

I really love this tablet and I use it everyday.

I hope someone can help me figure this out!
    You should have had at least a 70% charge before starting an update. Does the Prime respond to the power button? If so perform a cold boot first after turning the Prime off (hold the volume down and power buttons simultaneously until you have two flashing symbols and release).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Me too this is awful

Same here. Asus logo in the middle of black screen, "powered by nvidia tegra" in bottom right hand corner. Just stays on this screen until the battery drains completely out. Hard boot, nothing. Goes right back to the same screen. Held down volume buttons w/ power button every way imaginable, pushed reset button in conjunction with a paper clip. Won't read image on micro sd either. Link tablet to PC and will not recognize.

Downloaded zip file from asus support page as well, never had a problem with any other firmware update file except now. Looks like this thing has to be sent to Asus. I feel like a lost puppy without this thing to be honest.

Will they fix this for free? (bought it 12/25/11) Jellybean did it i'm telling you.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonNC View Post
    Same here. Asus logo in the middle of black screen, "powered by nvidia tegra" in bottom right hand corner. Just stays on this screen until the battery drains completely out. Hard boot, nothing. Goes right back to the same screen. Held down volume buttons w/ power button every way imaginable, pushed reset button in conjunction with a paper clip. Won't read image on micro sd either. Link tablet to PC and will not recognize.

Downloaded zip file from asus support page as well, never had a problem with any other firmware update file except now. Looks like this thing has to be sent to Asus. I feel like a lost puppy without this thing to be honest.

Will they fix this for free? (bought it 12/25/11) Jellybean did it i'm telling you.
    Did you completely drain the battery and charge it back up? If it is still stuck on the boot screen then you will have to RMA it. Explain that this is due to an OTA update and it will probably be covered. They can flash it back to life for you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncphoto View Post
    Did you completely drain the battery and charge it back up? If it is still stuck on the boot screen then you will have to RMA it. Explain that this is due to an OTA update and it will probably be covered. They can flash it back to life for you.
    I have the exact same thing too but this was due to a bog standard FOTA update. I think the power was fairly low when it was done. My partner accepted the update so I didn't see the state it was in pre-update but when I got home I found it completely stuck on the ASUS splash screen, exactly as you describe, and no attempts to reset have made any difference. His description of what happens also exactly matches what you describe.

I am lost for what else to try. I would have thought it would be possible to boot from the micro SD for a clean install but this doesn't seem to work either. I'm not even sure how I can find out which version of the firmware I should be using as I can't access the details on the tablet! I can't even switch it off! Pressing the off button does nothing unless I hold it down for about 10s and that just causes an immediate reboot ending in the ASUS splash. Holding the down button while I do this has the same result.

Any tips would be very warmly received as my daughter is clamouring to have her fave toy back.
    Last edited by nshamir; 10-03-2012 at 10:47 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Before sending it back again, I would try running the update again.

Download a fresh copy of the file, unzip once and put it on the microSD.

Hold VOL DOWN and POWER until you see the white text on the screen, release and tap VOL UP to enter RCK.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nshamir View Post
    I have the exact same thing too but this was due to a bog standard FOTA update. I think the power was fairly low when it was done. My partner accepted the update so I didn't see the state it was in pre-update but when I got home I found it completely stuck on the ASUS splash screen, exactly as you describe, and no attempts to reset have made any difference. His description of what happens also exactly matches what you describe.

I am lost for what else to try. I would have thought it would be possible to boot from the micro SD for a clean install but this doesn't seem to work either. I'm not even sure how I can find out which version of the firmware I should be using as I can't access the details on the tablet! I can't even switch it off! Pressing the off button does nothing unless I hold it down for about 10s and that just causes an immediate reboot ending in the ASUS splash. Holding the down button while I do this has the same result.

Any tips would be very warmly received as my daughter is clamouring to have her fave toy back.
    The only way without having nvflash installed is to drain the battery completely down and recharge. It's starting to sound as if this problem is being caused by not having enough charge in the battery before attempting the upgrade. This is a major upgrade and uses more power than normal upgrades. Keep pressing the power button until the screen goes completely blank and doesn't have the power to vibrate either. If that doesn't work you are probably going to have to RMA.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    You should have had at least a 70% charge before starting an update. Does the Prime respond to the power button? If so perform a cold boot first after turning the Prime off (hold the volume down and power buttons simultaneously until you have two flashing symbols and release).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    So far there appears to be no way to shut it off.

As soon as I plug the power cable in, it vibrates and shows that same screen. From it I seem unable to get it into the mode you are suggesting.

I can use a paperclip to press in the reset button, and then while it is off (while holding in the reset button) I can begin pressing the power button and the down volume. I then release the paper clip and continue to hold the power button and the down volume button. Same screen appears, but in about 8-10 second the unit vibrates and the screen goes blank, and then BAM... same boot screen appears.

Never get to see the small white text on top or anything.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I let it go dead and charged it back up. No dice.

arghhhhhh

When Asus flash it back to life for me will I lose everything? I have a ton of pictures and videos on my prime that I really don't want to lose.

I wish I could connect it to my pc and get that stuff off it. (I backup all my computers why oh why did I not back this up????)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads