Like Tree8Likes

Thread: TF201 DIY screen replacement learnings

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Sava for providing this fix. I have now ordered a new LCD and will attemp this fix for my TF201!
    I have a few questions:
    I'm on stock (unrooted) 9.4.2.28 software and have not yet unlocked the bootloader. This is required before nvflash is installed. Is this done using the ASUS unlock apk application or??
    Once I have run unlock, nvflash and your procedure to fix the touchscreen I eventually want to upgrade to JB. Can I do that by downloading the 10.4.2.15 package from the ASUS website, run the Firmware update procedure and then run your touchscreen fix (assuming this will be destroyed by the software update) using nvflash?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    everyone give up on us ? :-( i wish i could get this fixed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deconzme View Post
    I performed the update and it WORKS! Thank you so much Sawa for profiding this fix.

Here is the procedure I did:

1) Installed a new LCD screen (I broke mine during removal of the old glass/digitizer)

2) I had the original 9.4.2.28 firmware and a locked bootloader, so step one was to unluck the bootloader with the program provided by ASUS. I had seen that some had problems running this program sucessfully, so I did a factory reset (deletes all content, so backup any data that you want to save) and then ran the apk from the external SD card - installed and ran the problem and it unlucked just fine.

3) Installed nvflash as described here: http://androidroot.mobi/t3_nvflash/ and here: [GUIDE] nvFlash General Users Guide [Unbrick/Recover/Downgrade/Upgrade]- TF201 - xda-developers Note that you need to get fastboot and wheelie binaries from elsewhere. NOTE THAT ONCE YOU HAVE CREATED THE .BLOB FILES ON THE TF201 YOU NEED TO EXTRACT THEM AND PLACE THEM IN THE SAME DIRECTORY AS THE NVFLASH, WHEELIE AND FASTBOOT FILES. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE RUNNING THE NVFLASH COMMAND!

4) Downloaded the fix file for 9.4.2.28 and placed in the directory with the nvflash files

5) Ran the commands descrived in Savi post above.

I now have a fully working TF201 without x-axis problems!
    cocomoe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deconzme View Post
    take a look at this, i'll try in 10 hours

[REQ] Need help/someone to change the kernel image in existing ROM - xda-developers

EDIT: worked for me
    Last edited by cocomoe; 11-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    oh wow, it wiorked! thank you so much!!!!!!!!! huge step.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Repair by replacing Screen+Digitizer with Original Part

Hi everybody,

after cracking my TF201-screen I googled my way to this thread and was shocked by how much effort a screen-replacement is. My display survived but
    + I didnt wanna take hours to remove it from the Glass
    + or even run the risk of breaking it as well.
    + I also wasnt pleased by the thought of having to compile and apply a kernel-patch each time i update my firmware

So I kept searching for a 100%-replacement with as little work as possible. On ebay I found it: Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF201 LCD Display + Touch screen Digitizer Replacement | eBay .
    It's a bit costier, but you get the completely assembled digitizer+display-combo!
    - The hongkong-vendor delivered within 2weeks (to central europe)
    - It took me less than 15 minutes to change the cracked digitizer-assembly: simply pull 2 cables from their socket and push the new ones in
    - I forgot shut down my TF201 beforehand and found out only when pressing the power-key: The tablet woke with the new display as if nothing had happened. All apps were running. The digitizer works as before and the display is the same great bruight IPS+-thing that made the TF201 stand out from the competition back when it came out.

I can only recommend going this way. Its way more expensive (181 USD; 140 EUR) but it gives you a virtually new device within minutes at very little risk!

BTW: open your device before ordering to read the part-number from the digitizer-flexcable and read the text on ebay. They offer parts TCP10C93 V0.3 or TCP10C93 V0.1 and you can chose which you want after buying.

I hope I could help out some of you,

kouzinger

-----removed------
    Last edited by eejit; 12-04-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: as per Guidelines of Conduct

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    So I checked the V. Number, and ordered accordingly- Still got an inverted Digitizer- Has there been any Luck or progress on the Kernel Fix for 10.4.2.18 ?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    The instructions for TF201 with inverted digitizer don't appear to be working. Is there an updated list of instructions? Here is the info for the TF201: Android Version 4.1.1, Kernal Version 3.1.10-00002-g599d0cf, Build JR003C.US_epad-10.4.2.18-20121122. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    So i fixed the inverted Digitizer problem on the TF201 v10.4.2.18 with 4 steps--

1: Do a Factory Restore on Everything.
    1a: make sure debugging and Unknown Sources are enabled- turn off all Communications except USB
    1: Unlock with The ASUS unlock tool (inst supposed to work, but after a restore and a restart, it worked right away. (could be 10.4.2.18 Only)

2: Install TWRP2 Recovery with the Fastboot BLOB File Method that is detailed on the TWRP Website) ([RECOVERY][TF201] TWRP 2.4.1.0 for ICS/JB Bootloader [2013-2-1] - xda-developers)
    2a: Wipe Cache and Dalvik and do another Factory Restore (Via TWRP)

3: Install HairyBean Rom ([ROM][02.12.12] AndroWook Prime Hairy Bean v1.51 JB **Re-Energize your Prime!** - xda-developers)
    3a: Before Booting for the First time, Reboot Back into TWRP- Wipe Cache and Dalvik again.
    3b: Install ReverseAxis.Zip ([REQ] Need help/someone to change the kernel image in existing ROM - xda-developers)

4: Don't break it again!

I know these are somewhat vague Instructions, but it worked without any Downgrades or NVFlash on the 10.4.2.18 Firmware.
    Last edited by Lazerian; 02-22-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added better instructions (got less Lazy)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I was able to unlock TF201 with the ASUS tool but not able to install TWRP2. I in stalled GooManager in step #2 but TWRP2 wasn't there to install. Within GooManager, I wasn't able to provide Root Permissions or when clicking on Install OpenRecovery Script, I would get a prompt to "Do you want to continue" but no "SuperUser Access" prompt. It would appear to run but then a prompt would come up stating "No recoveries found for your device". Any suggestions?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ads