Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times

Prime Will Not Charge

I am having this recurrent problem with my Prime. Occasionally it will not charge.

I plugged it into an outlet this morning and it did not give an indication that it was charging. I came back 30 minutes later and my battery dropped below 10%. I undocked the Prime and plugged the charger directly into the bottom of the Prime and it still will not charge.

This happened last week and after some research on the Internet I discovered that there is a fuse within the charger housing that may trip if it gets too hot. So I put the charger in the freezer over night and the following day I plugged it into both the Prime and the dock and it worked.

However, I just took the charger out of the freezer after 2 hours it it is still not working. I have checked the connections and prongs at the connection head and everything looks normal.

What is the solution to this? Is the charger covered under warranty?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biggbrother View Post

What is the solution to this? Is the charger covered under warranty?
    Two suggestions...

This happened to me about a month ago, and was very frustrating!

After checking the prongs, freezing my wall wart, etc. etc., my 13 year old son came in my bedroom and asked what was going on? (he could see I was messing around with my charger/Prime)

He then pulled apart the wall wart (it apparently can use either a UK plug or a U.S. plug, and the two plugs simply slide into the wall wart), pressed the two parts together again, and told me to try it.

Sure enough, it worked! (kids!)

If that doesn't work, Office Depot does have the Asus chargers for the Tranformer Prime, Transformer and TF300 in stock, at least in my area.

Good luck!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks. I did pull the charger apart as well and didn't notice anything unusual there either.

It seems the Prime is charging now. But this created another problem. Although it charges, it doesn't indicating that it's charging, either with the little charging icon in the tray or by turning on the LED on the power button. But it does full charge.

However, now the dock will not charge. This is bizarre. It seems to be a software issue. Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1517 times
    I suspect the charger, (or cable), is either bad or you're using the wrong wall wart. Chargers from several other devices look the same but the voltage they output would trickle charge the TF. In that case your tablet will charge with the screen off but won't indicate it's charging when you look at it. If you are using the correct wall wart and it is sensing you are connected to a 5v rather than a 15v connection that would be the result.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having the same problem with the Asus Transformer Prime (120V AC) charging adapter.

Things were working just fine for weeks, then two nights ago I plugged it in and the battery picture did not pop up in the middle of the screen saying that the unit is charging, the little battery icon does not have a lightening bolt either. The Tablet will detect that the adapter was just plugged in, by turning on the screen, but no charging takes place.

I have disassembled the adapter base and everything seems to look fine. I rarely disconnect the USB connector, so it is not likely that I deformed anything in the socket. I did notice that the adapter had a tendency to get very hot during the charging process when it was working properly.

The tablet will also, detect that the USB cable is plugged into my laptop, and will sync with my laptop, but will not indicate any charging activity.

I don't know if this is a software, or hardware problem with the tablet?
    Last edited by jakid; 08-31-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1517 times
    @jakid

It sounds like the charger may have gone bad. There is a thermal circuit in it that may have tripped if it got REALLY hot. Putting it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a half hour might bring it back to life. Otherwise, based on all you've done and explained I'd imagine the charger failed. Stuff like that does happen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I recently had an issue with my dock not charging. The tablet would charge if it was plugged directly into the adapter, and my computer would see the tablet if it was docked and plugged into the computer, but the dock would not charge. I sent it in to Asus and they repaired it under the warranty, but I don't know what caused the issue. And now the tablet completely shuts down after several hours, which is a little concerning but not major; I just have to boot it up now vs. it just being asleep.

Good luck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Guys...

I'm having the same problem as you already described, in fact, I tested the wal wart charger with my IPOD Touch and it charged well. My PC also syncs with the tablet when connected via USB... So, I know the tablet is charging when I plug it on the wall outlet even though it does't say anything....The thing is that it is charging very slow.....Weird, so I don't know if I should order a replacement USB Cable or a wal wart charger (seems to me both are working fine)

Ads