Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Need help with wifi not turning on, and or getting rid of "this device is unlocked"

Just got a tp201 (with keyboard) for cheap. Now I know why. The tp was rooted, from what i gather, which I don't care about. The problem is wifi will not turn on. It just hangs, saying "turning on wifi" but never does. I did some research and found this is not all that uncommon. However the common fix of wipe data does not seam to work. I installed different roms, restored etc.... It worked once after I installed virtuous prime. but when i woke up no wifi again... Tried everything again (2days worth) and nothing..... Called asus and it is still under warranty, but he said if it has been rooted it would not be covered under the warranty. So if someone cant help get the wifi working, or can someone let me know if i can get the "this device is unlocked" off boot screen. I already unrooted, assuming I was going to send in. but message is still there. I guess I may be screwed. Even though a rooted device shouldn't have anything to do with what i am assuming is a hardware problem, i have a feeling i will have to pay for the repair (how much do you guys think?)..

Well thank you in advance

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Once it is unlocked there is no way to lock it again.

I know from my experience that some ROMs can cause WiFi instabilities.

Hopefully someone with some Prime experience will be able to help you on this issue.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    It is possible that you are rooted without being unlocked, although I'm not sure the warranty would transfer if you've bought it second hand. I've seen this issue too and am working on a fix, it could be hardware based though in which case your transformer would have to be sent back.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    What is your serial number? The reason I ask is because the earliest primes had wifi problem due to pogo pins not making contact with the copper plate. Asus fixed this for free by installing an extra antenna. But you have to send it in. But since your device is unlocked, they will not fix this for you. Will cost you about 100 to 150 bucks for them to fix.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    To Fix WIFI NOT TURNING ON (CONFIRMED):

Please backup your data to external SD
    Open the Settings App
    Choose Backup & reset
    Choose Factory Data Reset

If you are unlocked please also look at flashing a new ROM

I've had this issue and can confirm that this clears it. I will still send mine back for the early antenna issue and LCD MURA but thats neither here nor there.

Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by jadedinc View Post
    Just got a tp201 (with keyboard) for cheap. Now I know why. The tp was rooted, from what i gather, which I don't care about. The problem is wifi
    will not turn on. It just hangs, saying "turning on wifi" but never does. I did some research and found this is not all that uncommon. However the common fix of wipe data does not seam to work. I installed different roms, restored etc.... It worked once after I installed virtuous prime. but when i woke up no wifi again... Tried everything again (2days worth) and nothing..... Called asus and it is still under warranty, but he said if it has been rooted it would not be covered under the warranty. So if someone cant help get the wifi working, or can someone let me know if i can get the "this device is unlocked" off boot screen. I already unrooted, assuming I was going to send in. but message is still there. I guess I may be screwed. Even though a rooted device shouldn't have anything to do with what i am assuming is a hardware problem, i have a feeling i will have to pay for the repair (how much do you guys think?)..

Well thank you in advance
    Last edited by tf201; 08-02-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links