Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

External DVD/CD ROM - HELP NEEDED ASAP

I have just purchased a Targus external DVD ROM to plug into my ASUS. When I reboot the ASUS, the icon for the TARGUS flashes, but then disappears, and I cannot access it as a drive. HELP! Has anyone else used this combination of systems with any success? Is there a work around? An app? I have exams that are based on CD's and I need to access the data asap. Any info. appreciated!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    29 times
    From what I've read you can't get a CD/DVD drive to work with an ASUS Transformer.
    Dell XPS 12
    ASUS TF300, 32GB w/Dock
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Kindle Fire HD, 7"
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    There are no drivers.

I have only seen 1 DVD drive (from Samsung) that advertises Android comparability. However, I have not heard any reviews as it was just released. I also doubt the ability to play DVDs as I have yet to find a player to play .VOB files.

Keep on mind this is a tablet and not a real conputer.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Sounds like you'll be chilling in the computer lab! Should have done little more homework before purchasing it.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eeglot View Post
    I have just purchased a Targus external DVD ROM to plug into my ASUS. When I reboot the ASUS, the icon for the TARGUS flashes, but then disappears, and I cannot access it as a drive. HELP! Has anyone else used this combination of systems with any success? Is there a work around? An app? I have exams that are based on CD's and I need to access the data asap. Any info. appreciated!
    What everyone said. But there is one more thing you could try, but it's a slight gamble: if you have a powered USB hub? Try connecting the drive to that (be sure the power-pack for the hub is plugged in) then connect the hub to the TF. The gamble here is you may have to purchase one of these-- and if it doesn't work? You have something else you don't really have a use for...

It might be just a matter of insufficient power... doubtful, but it's one more thing to try before giving up.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    There are no drivers.

I have only seen 1 DVD drive (from Samsung) that advertises Android comparability. However, I have not heard any reviews as it was just released. I also doubt the ability to play DVDs as I have yet to find a player to play .VOB files.

Keep on mind this is a tablet and not a real conputer.
    I believe it is this one: Samsung SE-218BB is world’s thinnest optical disc drive for mobile devices - SlashGear

I haven't ordered it yet but I will soon.

TF101, 16GB
    iPhone 3GS
    Acer Netbook, 9.5" (sits idle now that I have the TF101)
    nOOb

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by angeloglorioso View Post
    I believe it is this one: Samsung SE-218BB is world’s thinnest optical disc drive for mobile devices - SlashGear

I haven't ordered it yet but I will soon.
    Good idea for him to try that, if that doesn't work, hope he can return it, and then look into the Samsung.
    rcca
    TF Prime 201 tablet CG-Dock Grey ICS .13 No reboots-no crashes so far.
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11
    Belkin Extender, love it, 40' was 1 bar 80 dBM, link 5 Mbps, now 2-3 bars 57dBm link speed 72Mbps

dvdcatalyst
    This one would work better:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/26/samsung-optical-smart-hub-se-208bw-review/

It actually streams DVDs over wifi.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    This one would work better:

Samsung Optical Smart Hub SE-208BW review -- Engadget

It actually streams DVDs over wifi.
    I'm a bit worried about the somewhat negative review within that link. Have you tried that gadget? If so, is it relatively easy to use? My main needs are CD/DVD playback and CD ripping.

TF101, 16GB
    iPhone 3GS
    Acer Netbook, 9.5" (sits idle now that I have the TF101)
    nOOb

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by angeloglorioso View Post
    I'm a bit worried about the somewhat negative review within that link. Have you tried that gadget? If so, is it relatively easy to use? My main needs are CD/DVD playback and CD ripping.
    No, I have not.

My reply was based on the original post that started this thread, which was about connecting a DVD drive directly to a transformer.

The only purpose that that would have is to be able to play a DVD on your transformer directly and even if there is a drive that is supported through USB, or a driver that would make it work, there is a bit more involved to play a DVD, so the only solution would be something similar to the drive I linked to, a drive that actually includes streaming capability.

Ripping stuff from any drive using a transformer or other Android (or IOS) device is also not that much of an option. Even if there were apps that would enable this, the processors used in portable devices are designed to be low-power, and are optimized mainly for playback. Encoding is a lot more demanding, and, similar as using a netbook (eeePC with an Atom cpu for example) the process will be quite slow.

Using a PC to rip your CD's / DVD's and convert your content to a format that is supported by your tablet is a lot faster, and for that, any DVD drive will do the job, and likely better than the streaming drive I linked to.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links