Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Upscale View Post
    I have another problem with some Kindle books on my TF201. I emailed some books (.mobi extension) to my my tablet and they were received. However, although they're viewable in Gmail, it doesn't recognize the files to let me transfer them to the kindle directory. ???

Any ideas how to remedy this problem? Thanks.
    As Fred has said, if you can move the files with File Manager, which shouldn't be an issue, then they need to be placed in the correct folder. As I say in the e-reading FAQ - " Out of interest, with the latest app update, all the books you get for kindle are stored in a kindle specific format in the /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files folder (not as previously in the "kindle" folder) "

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    One - I have updated TF201, recently purchased . Perhaps when downloading books from Amazon they go to a different folder but - If you transfer ebooks from PC or card or USB stick and put them in the Kindle folder they appear when you open the Kindle app.
    If you check,in the Play Store for the Amazon Kindle app, you are likely to find that it needs updating. For some reason, it often does not show up on your installed app list until you have done this. Consequently, it does not get updated.

At least, that is what has happened previously. When you update it, you will find the storage location is as I have quoted, above.

Two - Agree that there are quite a few better or more advanced options for reading with the tablet but mentioned the "My Library" as it is already in the TF201 and for a starter this E-reader is simple, clear and comfortable to the eyes.
    One of the reasons I bought my tf101 was because of My Library, my disappointment in it was quite profound & to be honest with more than a handful of books, I found it slow, ponderous & unwieldy. But hey, each to their own.
    Last edited by janner43; 05-11-2012 at 08:22 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    Please don't flame me for asking this question. If the TP can take epub books (this is how I get my library books, and then download them to my NOOK using Adobe Digital Editions on my PC), how would I get a library epub book onto my Prime? (TF201) ?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks3229 View Post
    Please don't flame me for asking this question. If the TP can take epub books (this is how I get my library books, and then download them to my NOOK using Adobe Digital Editions on my PC), how would I get a library epub book onto my Prime? (TF201) ?
    No problem, we're friendly here

The solution is posted in the FAQ, here http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ated-apps.html

(More than one way, actually, but read all the thread, its not long. )
    Last edited by janner43; 05-11-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    sparks3229 likes this.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I use the Kindle app because I must, alas, and it is seriously flawed IMO. At least, it is in landscape mode (which you are forced to use, if you have the dock attached, as I too frequently need to do). The side-margins are ... huge. And the smallest font is still way, way too large for the nice big TF screen.

I've sent feedback to Amazon, but that seems to go into a bit-bucket-- I always get a canned reply which clearly indicated they did not actually read my suggestion, but latched onto a single word (likely it's just a software engine, pretending to be a person).

What annoys me? Is I can adjust the margins for my phone's tiny, tiny screen.... so they know how to implement this feature... !!

Maybe if more people sent polite suggestion? (I'm always polite when I send feedback-- costs me nothing to be polite, and if by some random chance of fate a real human gets the message? It may actually ... help....

I sometimes wonder if Amazon is deliberately ruining their app in a futile attempt to force people over to the Fire? As if... if I wanted a dedicated eReader? I'd carry my DX around, instead of my TF.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    As Fred has said, if you can move the files with File Manager, which shouldn't be an issue, then they need to be placed in the correct folder. As I say in the e-reading FAQ - " Out of interest, with the latest app update, all the books you get for kindle are stored in a kindle specific format in the /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files folder (not as previously in the "kindle" folder) "

If you check,in the Play Store for the Amazon Kindle app, you are likely to find that it needs updating. For some reason, it often does not show up on your installed app list until you have done this. Consequently, it does not get updated.

At least, that is what has happened previously. When you update it, you will find the storage location is as I have quoted, above.

One of the reasons I bought my tf101 was because of My Library, my disappointment in it was quite profound & to be honest with more than a handful of books, I found it slow, ponderous & unwieldy. But hey, each to their own.
    Re: Kindle update - You were right! (Thanks !) My Kindle app needed an update. Did it and now I have a various font sizes - something which I missed before.
    As for books location - to my satisfaction, my book collection which were copied from my PC is still in the kindle folder. It is much quicker way to get into this folder than the new one.
    Also - a question - presuming that Amazon has the ability to get into my tablet while it is "on line" : do you think that they "communicate" with the new archive folder or anywhere...

Re: My Library - On the TF201 - I do not find My Library slow, ponderous etc. The main reasons I prefer it are the comfortably to the eyes and the built-in dictionary (Kindle app is the same).
    But as you wrote in the e-reading guide - the best solution is to have a few e-reading app. Each one has its pro and con, depending on the options of each app and our own needs.(Have found that Kindle handles PDF files much quicker than My library). Have tries Cool Reader too. It has tons of settings and options, but still I could not find the right "build" of page which will feel comfortable while reading. Also, this e-reader has a few e-books formats that Kindle and My Library don't have).

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi Rachel,

You make an interesting point about your PC copied kindle books still being OK in the Kindle App in their old location. It is certainly reasonable for the app to continue to see them as they were there before the update. You *might* find that they have been copied (duplicated) into the new location & the old location is now ignored, but I am unsure about that. You might like to check it out if you are inquisitive

It is feasible that My Library 2? on the tf201 does a better job, but you are the first person to have said so The issue re kindle books no longer being recognised by ML came up with the Kindle app update some while ago. Perhaps the tf201 version looks in both locations? I too like the display on ML, but its sloth in reparsing every book, every time it opens is just ridiculous. As is its categorising system. Having said that, Kindle can't categorise at all!!, so I guess something is better than nothing.

Re your question, IMO it is likely that Amazon can access that folder. If you are concerned, then as long as your .mobi books are DRM free, they can be read in Cool Reader (amongst others)
    Last edited by janner43; 05-12-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    10 times
    Hi Janner43,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response.
    Checked again the "Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/folder" in it there is only one book - a sample which I had downloaded from Amazon before the update.
    Seems that the other collection in the Kindle Folder remained there because they are mine - not downloaded from Amazon.
    When I open the Kindle app I have on display the books from both of the a/m folders.

The books which I read on ML are mainly epub - maybe this is the reason why I have no complaint re ML functions - this format is the best for ML.

I am using the Kindle app to read books which I can't with ML. So it is no problem to have one folder (Kindle) with certain books and another folder for the rest of the books (to be read via Cool-Reader or ML). I am a keen e-reader and been doing it on Irex-Iliad e-reader for the last few years - thus having quite a collection of e-books which I'll manage to read if I'll live for additional 100 years.

And - another question - do you know why every time ML is opened so is "Press Reader". Why should it be opened on the background ? (to promote me into buying newspapers ?)
    I could see that via the tablet setting I can "disable it". Supposing that it will only turn this app off until change of mind ? (being a newbe I do not dare yet to do something drastic)

Thanks again
    Rachel
    janner43 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi Rachel,

That's interesting about the file locations. Thanks for looking I think that is a recent improvement as there have been 3 or 4 updates to Kindle since the location change.

I believe that ML & Press Reader are linked apps - ML will display Press Reader downloads in a similar way to it displaying Kindle books as well - at least, that's what I *think* happens. You could try disabling it - you couod always enable it again.
    Rachel likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Rachel,

That's interesting about the file locations. Thanks for looking I think that is a recent improvement as there have been 3 or 4 updates to Kindle since the location change.

I believe that ML & Press Reader are linked apps - ML will display Press Reader downloads in a similar way to it displaying Kindle books as well - at least, that's what I *think* happens. You could try disabling it - you couod always enable it again.
    Hi Janner43,

Thanks for comments.
    Also interesting:
    Pressed to "Disable" , got a notification: "If you disable a built-in app, other apps may misbehave".
    Went on with disabling.
    No problem with ML functions (not noticed problems with other apps)
    But the strange thing is that now, in the main window of ML with my books collection (located in E-Books Folder), the New Oxford American Dictionary appears too. This dictionary was downloaded via Kindle before the Kindle up-date. Also strange is that when I open it (from ML app) it opens with Kindle.
    Checked this Dic location - it is in the Kindle Folder - but only this book appears now in ML books collection.

However, bottom line, now when reading with ML (and not opening the New Oxford) no other app is hovering in the background.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Yes, that bit with the dictionary happened to me as well. I wondered what was going on for a few days before the "coin dropped"

(ML uses Kindle to open Kindle books - like it uses Press Reader to open newspapers)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links