Thread: Transformer water damaged!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Transformer water damaged!

Hi all...My transformer tablet has been water damaged. A glass of tea overturned on it! It won't power on at all, nor will it charge. Is there any hope for it at all or is it just dead??!! Please advise! Thanks...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2813 times
    Welcome to the forum Ginny!

Your best bet is to NOT power it on for some time. Grab a gallon ziploc bag and throw a handful or two of uncooked rice in there. Then place the transformer on top of it for a few days. This will help dry it out.

If you are OK with taking it apart, taking the bezel and the back off would help. Here is a guide on how to get the bezel off and back on without any damage. Taking the plastic back off is a piece of cake as it has one screw in each corner and then three on top and three on the bottom and it is off. This will help it dry much faster in the bag of rice.

If you do take it apart, be sure to not get rice all inside the components as it may be hard to fish out.
    specterdrake likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    The rice trick really works - my Blackberry was out in a rainstorm for two hours and three years later it is still working. The rice trick works best with plain water so I'm a little concerned about the iced tea though, especially if it contained sugar. Also, if you choose not to open the device, you will really need to let it dry for a few days before powering it on. Maybe Frederuco has some additional thoughts on the sugar aspect.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2813 times
    If it had sugar, all bets are off. Sugar water conducts electricity depending on the concentration of sugar. If it got on any contacts and shorted it out, it may never work. If it dried before you turned it on, it may or may not have an effect when you power it on.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    79 times
    Please let us know how it turns out.....
    Stock TF700T Infinity w/JB Because it will not unlock!
    Rooted with Kingo Android Root
    Apex Launcher Pro
    Fixed Asus & bought Samsung!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    148 times
    If you cannot get a hold of rice? Or prefer not to use it?

Nice, fresh kitty litter works too-- the clay kind. Again, place litter in a large plastic bag, then a small piece of paper towel (to separate the device from the litter-- dusty) and the device which is wet, and seal the bag with tape.

Let sit for several days-- the bigger the device, the more water there was, the longer it sits.

If you can, you should pre-dry the litter and/or rice in an oven-- spread the rice/litter out into a metal or glass casserole pan, about 1/2 inch deep, and bake at 250 for 10-15 minutes or so, will help to dry it out before use. Let it cool before using. But cover during cooling-- no point it letting it absorb moisture from the air.

You really do not want to cook your electronic device-- LiIOn batteries hate being hot.

There is commercial drying products out there too-- they use actual desiccant chemicals which are water-loving, and are much more effective than rice (which is typically stored in unsealed containers allowing moisture in-- the plastic bags rice is sold in, is not watertight).

The chemicals come in a variety of packages, under a variety of names, such as "Chem Dri", "Drierite" among others. Look for a container billed as a moisture absorbing agent, like for in a dank closet application.

The process is the same: place your wet electronics into an airtight container along with the drying agent of choice. A large plastic storage box will work well, if you use packing or duct tape to seal up any and all holes.

Don't let the drying agent touch your case, as it can discolor it-- a couple of pieces of clean paper towel or newspaper to keep them separate works well.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    82 times
    All good advice, but the problem with some consumer electronics is that the batteries are not removable, so there will still be power applied to some parts of the cct board even though the device is switched off. The other problem is that generally the On/Off switch is not actually that but a hard interrupt to tell the CPU to boot/stop the user interface software - there is still a lot of stuff in there with power applied, even though you've turned the device off - eg., the clock, the CPU watching for alarm events or turn on signals from the power button.

The only way to completely power down a tablet or cellphone is to physically disconnect the battery - which with some cellphones and (to the best of my knowledge) all tablets is not an option readily available to the user.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    This was fantastic, I followed your guide and my transformer came apart like a dream. Mine dropped into a pot of water that was in the sink (watching tv through an app). Luckily my wife was right there and grabbed it out quickly. I was able to shut it down, but not before the speakers started to make a jittery buzz sound. Double lucky, not much water infiltrated the case thanks to that rubber around the edge of the glass. I found where to disconnect the battery and dried it as best I could with out taking it further apart. I now have it in pieces, wrapped in paper towel and in a bin of rice, hope it works tomorrow night.
    Thanks for the great guide.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1001 times
    The rice should work... Good luck.

Ads