Like Tree2Likes

Thread: gorilla glass really weak?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

is gorilla glass really weak? + TF201 Problems (A Lot)

So I got my prime 3 Weeks ago, and have had a case on it since day 1, and been very careful handling it. Now, overnight, suddenly there are about 10 huge long scratches across my screen, and I have no idea why. It just happened overnight, from no scratches to many huge visible ones. Is gorilla glass this weak to scratch from normal use? Help is appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: Now, my TF201 has been having more problems. Whenever I download things from the Play Store, my tablet is virtually unusable due to high lag. Also, the tablet has so far crashed 3 times doing simple tasks like google voice search, or closing out of a program. Also, my brightness on the TF201 changes whenever I switch between home screens, just a slight bump up and a slight bump down. Another thing, in the YouTube app, sometimes videos aren't able to be viewed, unless you load up a second page of videos. Any help for me? :/
    Last edited by iAttackPeople; 04-05-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Normally no. Actually it's pretty tough. I dropped my Transformer from chair level height onto tile floor and no damage to my screen. I dropped my iPhone from the about the same distance (out of my sweat pants pocket as I was bending down to pet a dog) onto the sidewalk and it smashed the screen to pieces. Granted it was concrete vs a tile floor. But still only about a foot and a half drop.

Under normal conditions this shouldn't happen. Is there a pet or someone messing with your Transformer you don't know about?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    No, I don't have any pets, it just suddenly got huge scratches across the screen, in the direction as if I was swiping between home screens. Should I call asus support?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    A scratched up screen would bother me. Hope Asus can work something out. Let us know.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I'll probably play around with it some more before I call support. I got it as a birthday present and only got it not long ago so I want to play with it some more haha. Thanks.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would guess they are marks not scratches. Drag a fingernail across and you should be able to tell if its a dig or something on the surface. Like I said unlikely. But not impossible. There are paste that have a very fine abrasive to take scratches out of glass. They apply like wax. If they are scratches I would look into warranty ASAP before it voids. If this is an option I would not even mess with the paste. The reason I say this is because glass (all glass) gets its strength from "surface tension" You can probably punch the side window of your car as hard as you can without breaking it. But if you scratched it first its like a hot knife thru butter. I am no expert on gorilla glass. But I do know a thing or two about glass. If they are real scratches the likely hood of breaking is very high.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    You are right about some of them. About half are marks, but I can't seem to wipe them off at all, but the other half are actual scratches that have gone into the screen. And don't worry, I have my warranty for a year :P.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iAttackPeople View Post
    You are right about some of them. About half are marks, but I can't seem to wipe them off at all, but the other half are actual scratches that have gone into the screen. And don't worry, I have my warranty for a year :P.
    I`m sorry to hear about the scratches, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but most warranties don't cover accidental damage which is probably what it will be labeled as. Best of luck with it.

Mark

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markab View Post
    I`m sorry to hear about the scratches, and I don't want to rain on your parade, but most warranties don't cover accidental damage which is probably what it will be labeled as. Best of luck with it.

Mark
    I'll try to convince them to do something. There's no way that gorilla glass should scratch so easily from just normal use. I've never dropped it, mishandled it, or put it in any situation where it would be scratched, and to find it getting scratched so easily is just stupid. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links