Thread: Another Type of Wi-Fi Problem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy Another Type of Wi-Fi Problem

Hi again, out there. I got some good help here earlier today, so here I am back again already.

I've read here and elsewhere about a variety of Wi-Fi problems on the Prime, but haven't seen this one mentioned. (If I've just missed it, please point me in the right direction.)

This just started happening a couple of days ago, so it may have been tied to a firmware update, but I'm not sure. I will get a Wi-Fi connection but it will immediately be dropped, and instead of saying "Connected", it will tell me that the information has been saved. If I try to reconnect, I just continue to get the "Saved" message. The only way I can get connected again is with a restart, which does seem to work.

I've only seen this happen on my home network once, I think, but it's been happening regularly when tethering to my hotspot connection on my HTC Inspire 4G phone. This is especially frustrating to me because I just signed up last week for AT&T tethering, after a long debate over whether or not I can afford the extra $25 a month--and I've barely been able to use it.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    What you are describing happened to me once. Then I realized that I had my phone's wi-fi turned on. As soon as I turned off my phone's wi-fi, tethering worked just fine.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tedr108 View Post
    What you are describing happened to me once. Then I realized that I had my phone's wi-fi turned on. As soon as I turned off my phone's wi-fi, tethering worked just fine.
    Thanks. That sounds like a reasonable possibility. I'll check it out.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

WiFi Drops

This is happening to me on a regular basis since the firmware update to .21 was installed. Up til then wifi access at home has been reliable and fast. Now the drops are so frequent as to be intolerable. I am still researching options and expect the now too common "reset" response. I would rather exhaust other options before I do that.

I am sitting beside my router while trying different settings options to eliminate distance as a factor. I have unsuccessfully tried different combinations of turning the wifi option off and on while doing the same with bluetooth. Similarly, I have unsuccessfully tried "forgetting" the network name and address so that I could manually scan and re-key the network password. In all of these instances I will briefly establish a successful internet connection that within 30 seconds will change to a "No internet connection" when I go to the "settings". I then have to turn wifi off then on again to again briefly reestablish the internet connection. It's very tedious. I will then get the "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gaps has stopped" message several times and the network status changes from "connected" to "Saved, secured with WPA2". Invariably this message will change to "Network out of range" after several minutes.

In the "advanced" wireless settings I have tried different combinations of leaving the "Notify me when an open network is available" on or off. This has had no impact that I can see. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. My preference would be to roll back the firmware to .15 but I don't know if that's possible.

Last night, after cycling through multiple connections and drops, I was eventually able to sustain a connection. Today, however, has been terrible. Since the firmware update I have probably had three sustained connections. I cannot seem to replicate the exact steps I took to establish those connections. It shouldn't be this hard.

I have Splashtop HD and perhaps 20 other well reviewed apps installed. Outside of my home I regularly use bluetooth VPN connectivity to my Smartphone for internet access. The reason I don't want to do a reset is because of the work I've done to sync multiple email accounts and remotely connect to my home PCs. I would prefer not to have to recreate that given the time it took me to get to this point.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Hynrgee; 04-03-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: This is happening to me on a regular basis since the firmware update to .21 was installed. Up til then wifi access at home has been reliable and fast. Now the drops are so frequent as to be intolerabl

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the same issue. It seems when the Prime goes to sleep, the wifi shuts off and does not turn back on. Wifi settings are showing the signal is strong and the service is saved but will not let you connect... occasionally when you forget the wifi and the password is re-entered it connects. When I do have connection, google wont even load, nor will transformerforums.com. The blue line just moves really slow.

I havent really used the Prime since the update with regards to internet and leisure. I use this tablet mainly for work. Synced to my outlook server and calendar etc. I could not find any battery saving options specifically regarding the shutting off of wifi so I can only assume it was the update. I'll try more when I get home to my house wifi.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    @eastcoast

In setting set your WiFi to never disconnect during sleep them install Auto Airplane Mode (by DON) from the Google store. No need to change any settings for AAM. It disables the WiFi when the screen blanks but brings it right back when you wake up if the keep on setting is there. You kill 2 birds with one stone.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Hynrgee and eastcoastfishes, your descriptions sound exactly like the kinds of problems I've had. They were usually happening when tethering, though, and tedr108's suggestion of turning off Wi-Fi on the phone resulted in a major improvement. (Thanks, Ted!) What's still happening, though, is that it will say Wi-Fi is turning off, but it never finishes. The only way to get out of that situation is to reboot. :-(

Good luck to both of you, and keep us updated.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Exactly the problem I'm having!
    Since the update I've had *major* problems trying to connect to my 3-Mobile MiFi. It's an 802.11b/g device, and my Prime was connecting to it perfectly... until till the 'update'.

OTOH, I have *no* problems connecting to any of my 802.11n devices.

I've done a reset; but not a factory reset - yet. Combined with the GPS issues, this is driving me to distraction. I could put up with the lack of GPS signal, as long as I could connect to my MiFi device, as that let me pick up location info; but I'm reaching the end of my tether, so to speak. 8-/

TesterScot
    in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Hynrgee View Post
    This is happening to me on a regular basis since the firmware update to .21 was installed. Up til then wifi access at home has been reliable and fast. Now the drops are so frequent as to be intolerable. I am still researching options and expect the now too common "reset" response. I would rather exhaust other options before I do that.

I am sitting beside my router while trying different settings options to eliminate distance as a factor. I have unsuccessfully tried different combinations of turning the wifi option off and on while doing the same with bluetooth. Similarly, I have unsuccessfully tried "forgetting" the network name and address so that I could manually scan and re-key the network password. In all of these instances I will briefly establish a successful internet connection that within 30 seconds will change to a "No internet connection" when I go to the "settings". I then have to turn wifi off then on again to again briefly reestablish the internet connection. It's very tedious. I will then get the "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gaps has stopped" message several times and the network status changes from "connected" to "Saved, secured with WPA2". Invariably this message will change to "Network out of range" after several minutes.

--SNIP--

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've done a bit more research and quite a bit of testing since my post and it appears that my TF201 again connects reliably and on a sustained basis. Since this has been a matter of only an evening of reliable connections, I reserve the right to return later with some level of exasperation and regret, but for now the connections are solid and snappily fast. Better than before I dare say.

The solution was in another post on this site and, at least in my case, required that I reset the pass phrase on my router. I have the new NetGear 4500 router to stream HD over the 5Ghz band while utilizing the 2.5Ghz band for internet access and a home network of 20 or so devices including 4 PCs, 1 Netbook, a Kindle, the TF201, a laptop, two wireless BluRay players, an X-Box, 2 Smartphones, and whatever new gadgets our children are into. I was concerned that the complexity of all the devices were contributing to my TF201 drops. However, once I succeeded in changing the pass phrase, I got on the tablet, scanned for the old SSID, typed in the new pass phrase, and have had a reliable connection since. Following the same process, I was able to set the pass phrase to what it was before and have been happily answering email and surfing since. I suspect that had I rebooted the router I would get the same result. Not knowing any better, it does appear that the .21 upgrade did degrade the connection to the router. On the other hand, I also know that many problems that I have attributed to faulty hardware have ultimately proven to be faulty router settings, unsuspected ip conflicts, and other network related faults.

One other point I'll add is that before I stumbled upon the router pass phrase solution, I was reliably connecting to the internet via a bluetooth tether to my smartphone that did not seem to be affected by the upgrade.

This episode reinforces a couple of things for me: one, that it is not necessary to do a factory reset if you are prepared to spend some time researching and experimenting with different potential solutions, and two, don't be too anxious to blame the TF201. It is a wonderful tool and getting better, even if we too often feel like beta testers.

Thanks to the poster who suggested this solution and good luck to those of you that have this problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks so much for your post regarding the pass phrase change. I recently upgraded firmware versions on our Netgear router and afterwards my Prime's wifi connection would cycle on and off continuously. No other device on the network had this problem. Changing the pass phrase corrected the issue. Like you, I was then able to go back to the original pass phrase and maintain a solid connection (and avoid having to change all of our other devices).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links