Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Android device won't boot after doing a factory reset.?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Android device won't boot after doing a factory reset.?

I have a Asus TF201 Transformer Prime that I tried to do a factory reset. After I did it it won't boot up it just goes to CWM-based recovery v5.5.0.4. A screen with a top hat on top of a yellow circular arrow.When I go through the menu on that page and execute wipe data/factory reset, it goes through about a few minutes sequence and says data wipe complete. after that I reboot it just goes back to the CWM-based recovery screen. When I tried to update the US firmware downloaded from the Asus website it won't do it, it just says E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory) Installation aborted. I also get Andy laying on his back with his stomach door open ant a red triangle with a black question mark in it. Help me please.

The reason I attempted a factory reset is because the flash player wouldn't load inside of 3 different browsers and google wouldn't let me download flash player again.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    Once any device is no longer stock (I assume that, since you have CWM 5.5.0.4), the Factory Data Reset via Settings is off limits. Do you have a custom ROM installed? If not, why did you put CWM on your Prime?

Anyway, there is hope for your Prime, since you can still get to CWM. Here is your best bet:
    [HOW-TO] Unbrick your Transformer Prime (or not) - xda-developers

You are not out of the woods, yet, so ask some questions if you don't understand something. This isn't a trial and error thing ... if you choose the wrong recovery option, you could hard-brick your Prime. Also, when you decide on a fix, there is no room for error ... follow the instructions very carefully and proofread multiple times before hitting enter on the trickier commands.

Good luck with this...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tedr108 View Post
    Once any device is no longer stock (I assume that, since you have CWM 5.5.0.4), the Factory Data Reset via Settings is off limits. Do you have a custom ROM installed? If not, why did you put CWM on your Prime?

Anyway, there is hope for your Prime, since you can still get to CWM. Here is your best bet:
    [HOW-TO] Unbrick your Transformer Prime (or not) - xda-developers

You are not out of the woods, yet, so ask some questions if you don't understand something. This isn't a trial and error thing ... if you choose the wrong recovery option, you could hard-brick your Prime. Also, when you decide on a fix, there is no room for error ... follow the instructions very carefully and proofread multiple times before hitting enter on the trickier commands.

Good luck with this...

I honestly don't know what the previous owner did to it, all I did was try to do a factory reset. If it was rooted, I'm not the one who did it and I don't know much about it at all. I thank you for your suggestion. I think I may have to send it to Asus. I thought there may have been an easy fix.

Thanx

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Quote Originally Posted by giljack View Post
    I honestly don't know what the previous owner did to it, all I did was try to do a factory reset. If it was rooted, I'm not the one who did it and I don't know much about it at all. I thank you for your suggestion. I think I may have to send it to Asus. I thought there may have been an easy fix.

Thanx
    Hold off sending it, let me send one of our Rescue Squad to see if they can help!
    giljack likes this.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Hold off sending it, let me send one of our Rescue Squad to see if they can help!
    Giljack, I have notified one of our tech-savy members, Goodintentions, who has lots of experience with rooting. I know he will be able to assist you.
    giljack likes this.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Ok, here's what you're going to do. I need you to follow my instructions right down to the letter.

(1) Download honeycomb_root_cwm.zip onto your PC.

(2) Unzip. Inside, you will find 2 folders. Place the folder "root-honeycomb" in your C: directory on your PC. Ignore the other folder.

(3) Make sure your TP is on inside CWM. Plug it into your PC.

(4) On your PC, go to start menu and type in "cmd" and enter. Command prompt window should pop up.

(5) In the command prompt (the window with black background), type "cd\" and enter. Type "cd root-honeycomb" and enter.

(6) Type "adb devices". You should get a long string of numbers. If you don't get anything, wait a minute and try again. Once "adb devices" gives you a string of number, then go on.

(7) Type "adb shell".

(8) Now, type "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1" and enter.

(9) Now, type "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=16 count=1" and enter.

(10) Type "exit".

(11) Now, on your prime, reboot system. You will either boot into the current ROM or you will get stuck at the splash screen. This is a good thing.

(12) Turn off by holding the power button.

(13) Turn on by holdering the power and volume down buttons at the same time. Once you see white texts, release and immediately press the volume up button.

(14) Go ahead try to install (flash) the firmware you downloaded from Asus. Once it's done installing, reboot and you should be back to non-rooted stock.

(15) Write me a check for $1000. Failure to follow this step will result in your ipad exploding (if you have one).

Going to take a shower now. No peeking.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 03-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Good, on the commands, do I enter the quotes as well? Also when you say connect the TF P to the computer am I using the TF201's USB cord that goes from the ac to the power input of the TF201?

Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Ok, here's what you're going to do. I need you to follow my instructions right down to the letter.

(1) Download honeycomb_root_cwm.zip - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage onto your PC.

(2) Unzip. Inside, you will find 2 folders. Place the folder "root-honeycomb" in your C: directory on your PC. Ignore the other folder.

(3) Make sure your TP is on inside CWM. Plug it into your PC.

(4) On your PC, go to start menu and type in "cmd" and enter.

(5) In the command prompt, type "cd\" and enter.

(6) Type "adb devices". You should get a long string of numbers. If you don't get anything, wait a minute and try again. Once "adb devices" gives you a string of number, then go on.

(7) Type "adb shell".

(8) Now, type "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1" and enter.

(9) Now, type "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=16 count=1" and enter.

(10) Type "exit".

(11) Now, on your prime, reboot system. You will either boot into the current ROM or you will get stuck at the splash screen. This is a good thing.

(12) Turn off by holding the power button.

(13) Turn on by holdering the power and volume down buttons at the same time. Once you see white texts, release and immediately press the volume up button.

(14) Go ahead try to install (flash) the firmware you downloaded from Asus. Once it's done installing, reboot and you should be back to non-rooted stock.

(15) Write me a check for $1000. Failure to follow this step will result in your ipad exploding (if you have one).

Going to take a shower now. No peeking.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, they said I needed the SKU to know which firmware to download. I don't know what the SKU is because the system won't boot. Should I assume that the SKU US is for the United States models or does that mean something else?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by giljack View Post
    Thanks Good, on the commands, do I enter the quotes as well? Also when you say connect the TF P to the computer am I using the TF201's USB cord that goes from the ac to the power input of the TF201?
    No quotes. Just copy and paste whatever that's in the quotes.

Connect via that usb cable that came with the tablet.

SKU is US and yes it stands for United States... unless you live in World of Warcraft in which case you'd get the WW version.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Thanks again GI. Very helpful I am sure.

Moved from tfp general to tfp help

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links