Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Martin1612

Thread: Newbie about to setup Prime for first time!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times

Newbie about to setup Prime for first time!

Hi guys....well my Prime has finally arrived, it's on charge and tomorrow I hope to spend sometime setting it up but before laying a hand on it I'd like to know if anyone has produced a "set up guide" or similar. I've downloaded the full user manual and FAQs from the ASUS website but the set up info is minimal (and might be fine) and doesn't make any settings recommendations. I'd love to learn from your experience as it's easier to get it right first time than mess about subsequently.

I've also read numerous threads on the forum and have pretty well decided on installing the following apps as they seem the most stable with the Prime and ICS:-

Thumb Keyboard
    File Manager HD
    MX Video Player (or MoboPlayer - view is very split on these two)
    ICSBrowser+ (has more recent version of Chrome Browser made it more stable?)
    Google Earth
    Pandora internet radio

and of course there has to be a few games:-

TileStorm HD
    Osmos HD
    Where's My Water
    Unblock Me

open to suggestions and recommendations.....have I missed any good apps?

Look forward to your advice...

Martin

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    You are a good boyscout, very prepared.
    Sounds good to me, I would check for a system update before installing many apps.
    (settings....about tablet....system firmware update)

I'm not sure if Skype is playing nice though(?) Perhaps someone else can chime in, I'm just going from the threads I've read with some frustrated folks. I do use ICS+ Browser, it's nice. MX Vid Player, I too sat on the fence between it and Mobo....just picked MX and so far I haven't had any issues.........Enjoy your tab, you're gonna love it

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Martin, just got my Prime too, and I'm glad you posted this! You saved me from a lot of research!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Unlike Martin, I've done a little research and naively thought there would be some sort of start-up user manual to explain things - NOPE! This is my first tablet, don't have a smart phone so don't know what the buttons/icons mean - very frustrating. Anyway, tried to set up a Google account and something happened during the set up process. Now when I try to access an app, it asks for a google account - new or existing. I choose existing, enter my gmail address and password and I get an error message, "google account already attached". How do I fix this?

Sorry for being a total newb!!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to all!

Check out the Forum Favorites link in my signature. The first three links are great for newbies.

Sine, when it asks for an account, does it show your account email address? If so, tap on this to select it. I have made that mistake a few times.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Well I set up my Prime on Friday and it went like a dream. But I would certainly advise anyone about to set up theirs to do a degree of prep work as it really helped that I'd prepared as much as I could in advance.

1) Get the latest User Manual for the Prime downloaded from the ASUS Support site and read it. To be honest setting up the Prime was very intuitive and I didn't have to refer to the manual but at least I was aware of some of the terminology etc (not having a Smartphone or having used a tablet before.

2) Get your Google Mail account set up (if you haven't already) and Google Wallet for all those apps you'll want to download.

3) Couple the tablet and keyboard and charge up for the full 8 hours recommended.

4) Get your wireless router details to hand, particularly if you are using a WEP code as it's one of the first things asked for when you switch on your Prime for the first time.

5) Follow the on screen instructions carefully when switching on for the first time.

6) Let the Prime download and install the OS upgrade (if applicable ) i.e. from 3.n to 4.n

7) When it has completed, check whether there is another notification upgrading the build level of 4.n (mine went from ..14 to ..15)

8) When the build install has completed, switch off and then switch on before downloading and installing any apps.

9) I downloaded and installed:-

Adobe Flash 11
    BBC iPlayer (works really well)
    MX Videoplayer (it has worked with every .AVI file I've tried without any need to convert)

and apart from a few games (of course) I haven't yet found a need to install anything else. Kindle Books was preloaded and worked well.

I do plan to install WiFi Analyzer and Thumb Keyboard but that might be it for now.

Only disappointments so far are a) that the download of the PC Suite from the ASUS Support site doesn't work due to some URL issue (and it is unforgiveable that it has been a problem for so long - ASUS wake up!!?) - I've installed ASYS Sync but have no idea how to get Splashtop etc. and b) the single speaker in the Prime....but the sound through headphones is fantastic.

Good luck to all newbies!

Martin
    Asvald and asimeral like this.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    As far as I know the link in my signature for the 201 works and the suite is there.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Third update:

I'm pleased to report that I've now been using my Prime for just over a month now and it seems very stable. I haven't had any serious issues and the family have been enjoying the device immensely. Hope that isn't the kiss of death!

For any newbies about to set up their TF201 and who might be interested, the following is a list of Apps that I have settled on and find useful. Naturally this is a matter of personal preference.....but these have all worked well so far. The ratings are as given on Googles Android Play site and I would actually score one or two higher:-

Rating
    Adobe Flash Player 11 4.5
    Auto Airplane Mode 4.5
    BBC iPlayer 3.0 (we get a lousy broadband download speed of 1.3Mbps on average but it seems to cope ok)
    CPU Spy 4.5 (just to check the TF201 did in fact go into Deep Sleep - it does - wish someone could explain the values)
    Dual Battery widget 4.5 (not essential but very nice)
    ICS Browser+ 4.5 (would like to have tried Chrome but reviews don't give confidence as to stability...any views?)
    MX Player Pro 4.5 (excellent!)
    Official eBay app 4.0
    ooVoo Video Call 3.5 (could have tried Skype but thought I'd be different - but we suffer from poor broadband speed)
    Printer Share 4.0 (works really well)
    Screen Off & Lock 4.5 (works well when you realise two icons - all the settings are in the icon with with the hammer!!)
    TuneIn Radio 4.5 (even with poor speed the buffering works well and it is great - would benefit from a sexier gui)
    Weather, Radar, Alerts 4.5 (like the graphics, works well, good check against the app provided by Asus)
    WiFi FileExplorer Pro 4.5 (works well)
    WiFi Analyzer 4.5 (invaluable)

Have tried loads of games.....my personal favourites are Soko++, Tile Storm HD and Cogs (fantastic graphics). My wife likes Airport City, Shoot Bubble deluxe and Stupid Zombies.

Where does the time go........

Martin
    Last edited by Martin1612; 04-18-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: hit wrong button!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links