Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2nd Attempt: Battery Reading Issues

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy 2nd Attempt: Battery Reading Issues

Hey Guys,

So I am still experiencing issues with my Battery meter. I have done the following, and I am still getting errors and the occasional shutdown in sleep because of it (I believe):

Cool Boot
    Installed Dual Battery Widget
    Ran the battery all the way down, then had a 10 hour charge (I did charge 8 hours on initial charge)
    Addon Detection Scan
    Quick Fixes
    Speed Tests and Wifi Analyzer (Switched router to CH. 1, seemed to be working better upstairs)

I have attached screen shots. The biggest problem I am having is with the Battery Meter. I love this tablet, but I want to make sure something as critical as the battery is healthy and the system recognizes it, which I am sure everyone can appreciate.

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions.

Screenshot_2012-02-08-10-40-11.jpgScreenshot_2012-02-08-10-57-56.jpg
    Last edited by Kmb470; 02-08-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added "Ran the battery all the way down, then had a 10 hour charge (I did charge 8 hours on initial charge)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Perhaps I missed something, but what are you asking?

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Perhaps I missed something, but what are you asking?
    My apologies, I should've been more clear. If you look at my first screen shot, on the bottom right, the battery meter has a type or error icon, and not the actual batter status you see in the second screen shot (which also shows there's no battery usage data). I get this error intermittently, and I think its the cause for reboots and shutting down when left in sleep mode. I want to know how to correctly fix/calibrate the battery. I have already let it run to 0 and shut off in an attempt to fix, but it still happening.

Hopefully this is a bit more clear, and thanks for the response!

Kev

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Ahhh I see now
    Well having done all you have done, the only thing left is a factory reset. But I have to say that the problem makes me wonder about a hardware fault where the battery has an intermittant physical disconnection - which would mean a RMA to Asus.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ahhh I see now
    Well having done all you have done, the only thing left is a factory reset. But I have to say that the problem makes me wonder about a hardware fault where the battery has an intermittant physical disconnection - which would mean a RMA to Asus.
    Yeah, I am starting to think the battery may not be set correctly within the device. Maybe I will try one more cold boot, since I have made some changes since then. I am willing to do a factory reset if people think it may work. Any advice on the best steps to doing that so that I can get everything back to order as soon as possible. I really love this thing outside of this issue and some wifi problems. I received this from amazon around the 24th of January. Not sure if that means anything based on batch or what, or what type of waiting period I would have for a replacement device.

Thanks again for your help. (The people on this forum are excellent!)

Kev

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    factory reset makes the problem go away for a bit, but then it comes back.

hopefully a FW update (maybe the one that came out today) will fix it (have you tried to see if you have that available to you??). otherwise, return or RMA...

we got our units at the same time from the same source, which is interesting since this doesnt seem to be as wide spread of an issue as the crash/reboot while using it scenario.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    If a factory reset made it go away at all you need to look at one or more of the apps you have installed as being the culprit. Taking it back to a factory default is the ultimate test to determine if the fault is hardware or firmware caused.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmb470 View Post
    Yeah, I am starting to think the battery may not be set correctly within the device. Maybe I will try one more cold boot, since I have made some changes since then. I am willing to do a factory reset if people think it may work. Any advice on the best steps to doing that so that I can get everything back to order as soon as possible. I really love this thing outside of this issue and some wifi problems. I received this from amazon around the 24th of January. Not sure if that means anything based on batch or what, or what type of waiting period I would have for a replacement device.

Thanks again for your help. (The people on this forum are excellent!)

Kev
    Kev, backup regime could go...
    Use Google services for what they can backup
    Use the appbackup tool for apps & data (paid for apps will be remembered by the market)
    Use the cloud or a microsd for your own files

Asus will probably tell you to factory reset it anyway before authorising a return. Additionally, you would probably want to return it to them after you had reset it for privacy reasons. In either case you will need to do it. If it is a hardware problem, it will show itself again within a few days, if not hours.

Thanks for the compliment, too
    Kmb470 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BBKB1217 View Post
    factory reset makes the problem go away for a bit, but then it comes back.

hopefully a FW update (maybe the one that came out today) will fix it (have you tried to see if you have that available to you??). otherwise, return or RMA...

we got our units at the same time from the same source, which is interesting since this doesnt seem to be as wide spread of an issue as the crash/reboot while using it scenario.
    Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I have done a ton of research trying to find a solution, and thankfully for my TFP brethren, it doesnt seem to be one of the wide spread issues. Hopefully after doing a reset, it wont be an issue, and if so I get a fully functional model as a replacement, because generally this one has be free from many of the more wide spread problems

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    If a factory reset made it go away at all you need to look at one or more of the apps you have installed as being the culprit. Taking it back to a factory default is the ultimate test to determine if the fault is hardware or firmware caused.
    Thanks Leeshor, I appreciate the input, and your help from before (I really like the dual battery widget). The WiFi channel guide has actually been a help to my roommates and I for our million other devices in a 3 story house using a Netgear small business router. Seeing as I hate being one of those people that harasses help desk people, and demands 500 replacements, I will give the reset a try, even though logic tells me its probably a hardware issue. Better to test all theories and remedies myself first, haha.

As for installed apps, I really dont have anything crazy, as I am usually pretty good about protecting myself. Below is some screen shots of what I have installed, so if there is anything there you think may be a culprit, let me know.

Screenshot_2012-02-08-12-33-25.jpgScreenshot_2012-02-08-12-33-29.jpg

Kev, backup regime could go...
    Use Google services for what they can backup
    Use the appbackup tool for apps & data (paid for apps will be remembered by the market)
    Use the cloud or a microsd for your own files

Asus will probably tell you to factory reset it anyway before authorising a return. Additionally, you would probably want to return it to them after you had reset it for privacy reasons. In either case you will need to do it. If it is a hardware problem, it will show itself again within a few days, if not hours.

Thanks for the compliment, too
    No problem, thanks for all your help. Wanted to like, but couldnt figure it out at first. I think I got it now. Yeah, I am going to follow these steps and do a factory reset, and see what happens from there. I do the factory reset by doing the same steps for a cold boot but then click the "Wipe Data" icon, correct. I'm gonna hop in the shower first, so if there is anything else I need to know before hand, please let me know.

Kev

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    the first time I did the factory reset I didnt reinstall any of my apps and it started happening again.

couldnt a firmware update fix the issue if the problem is caused by a conflict in ICS and the Nvidia kernel??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links