Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Drawing on the Transformer Prime

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Drawing on the Transformer Prime

Hi all,

I will soon be a proud owner of a new Transformer Prime. My first Transformer Tablet experience. All the specs look mind shattering and the capabilities are astounding. However, I have a question regarding the artistic aspect of the TP. Through my research of this product I have gleaned that the device will be upgradeable to ICS. I have also found out that ICS should allow pressure sensitive screen capabilities combined with capcitive screen capabilities. My question is, does the hardware have to be customized for pressure sensitive stylus input for illustrations and editing photography, or can the ICS update alone allow this capability through software.

Thanks for your time,

Shadow

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm fairly certain that the screen would need to support the pressure sensitive feature and I don't think the Prime does.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorry, AFAIK currently only the Samsung Galaxy Note has the Wacom technology for pressure sensitive stylus use (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The Transformer Prime has a capacitive touchscreen, like the iPad 2 etc.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    ASUS's page on the Prime says "10.1-inch WXGA Super IPS+ capacitive pressure-sensing multi touch display made with Corning® Gorilla® Glass for brilliant HD entertainment and intuitive navigation. 178° viewing angle (1280 x 800)"...
    Shadow_Wolf_1987 likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by swampass2 View Post
    ASUS's page on the Prime says "10.1-inch WXGA Super IPS+ capacitive pressure-sensing multi touch display made with Corning® Gorilla® Glass for brilliant HD entertainment and intuitive navigation. 178° viewing angle (1280 x 800)"...
    Wow! As a future owner of the Prime and already happy owner of the TF1, I'm getting more impressed every time I find something new about the Prime

Question? Is there a recommended stylus to use with the TF?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by swampass2 View Post
    This post made my day. I don't know how I missed that particular feature of the Prime. But it completely reinforces my commitment in spending the extra $300.00 on it versus the original Transformer.

Question? Is there a recommended stylus to use with the TF?
    I will probably go for Wacom's Professional Pens
    Last edited by Shadow_Wolf_1987; 11-29-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm wondering if the ASUS definition of pressure sensitive is the same tech. Any capacitive display can be described as pressure sensitive. It wouldn't be wrong.

Devil's advocate.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I am highly sceptical of the pressure sensitive working as most people would expect it to work. It is great if it does. I always warn people that require something to have a feature that may happen in the future, to actually wait for that feature to happen. Nothing worse than buying something and then 2 months later you find out when it gets a software update it doesn't meet your expectations.

The Prime still looks great, there are many reasons to get it. But if you are buying it for a feature that has yet to be demoed on any device in an OS that has yet to be on a released tablet, you are just asking to be disappointed.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I don't think "pressure sensing" is the same as "pressure sensitive"; the former simply means that the screen can sense when it has been touched, and then respond, whereas the latter means that the screen can differentiate between different degrees of pressure, and respond in relation to those different degrees.
    Anakondarh likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Even if the Prime won't have the same pressure sensing feature Wacom tablets (and other resistive displays) have, I don't think it will be a problem for drawing. I use Sketchbook Pro from Autodesk Inc to draw on my TF101 with no problems at all: I just have to select the width of the line myself instead of relying on pressure sensors. The app also has very useful tools to make up for that particular missing feature of the tablet. Then again, having a capacitive screen that's also able to capture pressure would be hot.
    Anakondarh likes this.
    ASUS Transformer 32GB + Docking
    HTC Desire Z

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links