Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times

Transformer Prime vs. original-PRODUCTIVITY

I've read the graphics / games work better with Tegra 3. what about the rest of it?
    #1. Will this version work with windows 8?
    #2. Is anyone aware of open office being developed for android?
    #3. Do app's such as go to my pc work much faster on Tegra 3?
    #4. Does the browser work much faster and not crash?
    I know right now some of this is speculation as its' not been released, but let me know.
    Last edited by davioh; 11-23-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    I've read the graphics / games work better with Tegra 3. what about the rest of it?
    No. This is an Android-only tablet.
    Yes. It also comes with Polaris Office and can run other Android office apps such as QuickOffice and OfficeSuite.
    #3. Do app's such as go to my pc work much faster on Tegra 3? #4. Does the browser work much faster and not crash?
    In general things should run nicely smooth and fast thanks to the quad-core. The expected release soon of Android 4.0 should also bring even more performance and stability improvements.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    At this point I think its pretty safe to say everything will run extremly fast or smooth on this tablet. It will be all up to the Developers to get things up to speed
    but I doubt in the next year things will be so uber that it won't run really fast or smooth on a quad core.

As far as windows if they make on that works on Tegra 3 say a Transformer made for Windows 8 or with it built in. I would guess someone could port it over.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davioh View Post
    #3. Do app's such as go to my pc work much faster on Tegra 3?
    #4. Does the browser work much faster and not crash?
    I know right now some of this is speculation as its' not been released, but let me know.
    Do you mean will you be able to install Windows 8 on this tablet or will you be able to connect it to a Windows 8 PC ?

Yes you can connect it to a Windows 8 PC, and there are rumors that Windows 8 will support ARM devices, but nothing set in stone yet

There are a few Office packages for Android, not Open Office specifially though

Most things should run faster on the Tegra 3 vs Tegra 2 if the app has MultiCore support - Otherwise is will run at a similar speed to the Tegra 2

No idea about the browser, but ICS brings hardware accelerated animation, which from watching a few video demos, shows much improved, none blocky rendering of webpages
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Actually Tegra 3 is one of the core technologies MSoft is working on.

Here is a link to Tegra 3 code named Kal-el mentioned in the video below:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDI...p-233239.shtml

Money meet Mouth

Last edited by Ches111; 11-23-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Play Bf3? Give some love to our server! Great group of admins!!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Just to clarify. This does NOT mean that the TF 201 will run Windows 8. It means it has the capability to. If a rom dev were to release a ROM for Win 8 on the TF it could happen. Will ASUS support/release a version of the OS? Not likely unless on another tablet (just my thoughts). This will allow them to compete in the tablet market with multiple devices (near same specs I would assume).

The implementation of Win 8 on a TF 201 would probably be similar to current Ubuntu implementations on the TF 101 where devs have provided a ROM and a way to load the ROM.

and

Last edited by Ches111; 11-23-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Where Windows 8 ROMs may differ is the user communities ability to work on this project. With Ubuntu the code/OS is Open Source. With Win 8 that is NOT likely to happen. So it will likely take longer for an implementation to come forward as they would have to bastardize a really hacked up version for the TF.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Currently just outside London in the UK but soon to be Ottawa, Canada
    Liked
    12 times
    I suspect that Asus will launch a revised version of the Prime specifically with Windows 8 (possibly with more memory). It might also make sense to differentiate further from the current model by changing the display resolution as well to for example 1366 x 768 (given this is the minimum resolution to support two open apps side by side in the Metro UI). The issue with running Windows 8 ARM on the existing Prime is as much a logistical one as anything because as far as I know Microsoft won't be selling any release or OEM versions directly. They'll be tailored specifically in conjunction with the manufacturer. That doesn't mean that some enterprising third party developers won't get Windows 8 running on the Prime though. But, there's still a lot we don't know about Windows 8 so a lot has to naturally be speculative.

Robert

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    For the OP. ICS, the next version of the Android OS will have a much improved browser. Having a better processor alone will not likely solve any crashing issues you may be having.

I seriously doubt that the Prime would improve the performance of GoTpMyPC even a little. I use that program on fast systems and not so fast systems and the difference in performance is minimal if anything. You are at the mercy of the end-to-end Internet performance and the performance of the remote system more than anything.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Video Review of Asus Transformer Prime (TF201)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links