Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Don't get lost in the Hype of the prime, wait for "Tegra Wayne"...

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    I don't agree. He asked me which ipad I had and I told him it wasnt an ipad and that it was the Asus transformer. And then he said "oh, you have an imitation."

Since he was sitting next to me we continued to talk. I told him about the tf, what it could do, etc. I really tried to present it in a good light. But in the end I had the feeling that he was just not convinced. It wasn't an apple product and therefore it sucked.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    There was a time when one used to believe that if you have it in your hand, then it is already obsolete since something vastly better is under development and is being released tomorrow. But this was all a 'hyped up bubble' time.

There was a time when people were swayed by the marketing hype of companies - I believe most of us now can spot the hyper hype when we see one.

"Marketing strategy of many companies is to stop you from buying what is available right now" - by saying that something great is just round the corner. Then they raise the hype about the features and try to increase expectations - the trouble is many times these people fail to realise that a higher expectation means deeper unhappiness if you fail to meet the expectations. But most marketing campaigns are trying to push the boundaries and so you get a feeling of progress.

I believe in doing a research of what is available while relentlessly sticking to what you really need - don't let the marketing hype change your expectations. If you are clear about what you need then marketing hype won't fool you.
    You made some nice points there. But unfortunately I disagree with most of them.

Especially with "what is available right now" part. If you google these simple words "toshiba directx 11" the top link you will find (the first one) is mine. right 3 month after the model, the first GPU for notebooks supporting tessellation were announced and on sale in the US.

And right there you will see how toshiba is trying to sell an obviously "will be extremely obsolete soon" notebook with older GPUs, knowing that a new generation of directx11 compatible GPU's are coming. They just tried to sell their product for a good price, to clean their shelfs. That's how really it works.

Also, if you say things like "Marketing strategy of many companies is to stop you from buying what is available right now" specially if you live in the US, some capitalist bankers may beat you on the street, (and maybe steal your wallet on the go).

The marketing strategy of companies, is in fact quiet the contrary. If your a Tech Guy, and you want to high end stuff, they will brag about their product, to make yours feel obsolete, and try to attract your focus on the brand new shiny one that just got out.

In fact, It is for this Reason that I opened this thread, and i guess you may have read my firtst post.

My message is simple: Don't buy the TF Prime, since there are not even enough Apps for the HC right now, No software is using the Tegra 2 at it's true potential. Most of apps come out for phones, and HC is feeding mostly on those apps converted for tablets.

Also since ICS will also be available for TF101, there is really no reason to buy a tablet with tegra 3.

And this is where I agree with you. When buying a product, one must check the available softwares, commodity, and check the specifications he needs, and not really listen to what the market says.

But talking for myself, I always take the pulse of the Market. And right now, I shared at my first post a valuable information. The next tegra generations after Kal-el will support Directx11+

This means total gaming and media compatibility with microsoft, and the army of gaming companies behind it. And the upcoming of Win8 optimized for tablets, shows that these companies Understood one simple thing:

The PC and Notebook Era is ending, and the next era is for Tablet/Netbook Touchscreens. Nividia Announced a lot of things. But don't get yourself fooled by those announcements.

And also, most of the times, one should read between the lines. Compatibility with Microsoft directx11+? and why don't u mention 3D vision? What u have in mind? A processor 20 time faster then tegra 2 can output 3D on a TV without a problem. So why not just announce it? Are they working on no glasses required tablets, (something like the nintendo 3DS)? Or just to output
    3D from the HDMI? They just throw these fake plans to then smash the market with THE product which everyone must have. But one thing is sure, that's not the Prime.

I guess anyone in this threads agrees that they dont need the Prime.

But The only exception are those users who thinks that tegra 3 will output 1080p movies on the go, on any format, and they won't need any conversion.

They're wrong.
    Last edited by nitefox; 10-29-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    It's not much of a bragging rights if everyone around you think you have a cheap imitation.

A month ago I encountered a man on the train who asked me what I had and then after I told him it wasn't an ipad he said "oh, you have an imitation." I've been getting the same attitude more or less from everyone I encounter.

Like I said. Since apple spends a quarter of a billion dollars on ad and public relations, everybody knows the ipad. Nobody knows the TF. To most people, the TF will always be a piece of crap from china like those $99 resistive screen tablets from walgreens.
    LOOOOL! dude tell me that's not true and u didn't hear that! "an imitation"!!!! RFLOL!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nitefox View Post
    LOOOOL! dude tell me that's not true and u didn't hear that! "an imitation"!!!! RFLOL!
    I swear to you on my mother's grave. The guy was wearing professional clothing, so I assumed he was some kind of business man. When he said that, I was stunt and couldn't say anything for a couple seconds. It was beyond rude.

But you know what, at least he was an honest person. Imagine how many people out there who thinks what we have is one of those cheap imitations from china but are too polite to say it. After that encounter, it really made me rethink my strategy.

I think it's clear by now I like to recommend the ipad to people. It's not sarcasm. I honestly truly think most people would fair better with the ipad. Even if the ipad tends to explode into people's face disfiguring the for life, the ipad would still be a best choice. Why? Because apple spends a quarter of a billion dollars each year telling people the ipad is the only real tablet out there. Let's admit it. Most people just don't care about functionality and specs. They care more for the brand name and bragging rights. You can't top the ipad as far as brand name and bragging rights.

Most recent surveys show that most tablet owners use the tablet to surf the web, play games, and watch movies. In other words, specs and functionality just don't matter. It's the apple brand name and the bragging rights that ordinary people are after.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    24 times
    I swear to you on my mother's grave. The guy was wearing professional clothing, so I assumed he was some kind of business man. When he said that, I was stunt and couldn't say anything for a couple seconds. It was beyond rude.

But you know what, at least he was an honest person. Imagine how many people out there who thinks what we have is one of those cheap imitations from china but are too polite to say it. After that encounter, it really made me rethink my strategy.

I think it's clear by now I like to recommend the ipad to people. It's not sarcasm. I honestly truly think most people would fair better with the ipad. Even if the ipad tends to explode into people's face disfiguring the for life, the ipad would still be a best choice. Why? Because apple spends a quarter of a billion dollars each year telling people the ipad is the only real tablet out there. Let's admit it. Most people just don't care about functionality and specs. They care more for the brand name and bragging rights. You can't top the ipad as far as brand name and bragging rights.

Most recent surveys show that most tablet owners use the tablet to surf the web, play games, and watch movies. In other words, specs and functionality just don't matter. It's the apple brand name and the bragging rights that ordinary people are after.
    lol, i agree on that. It's the magic of marketing. I already gave the example of ICQ98 vs MSN 2005. Or any Apple tablet vs theircounterpart. I even showed a friend in a mall, the difference between the price and specs between a dell netbook (around 200$) and an Apple netbook with half of the specs (around 1500$).

But if I am sure of one thing, it's what Microsoft did to Sony, (rape them in their own country), Microsoft will do it to Apple.

PS: Did you notice how apple is advertising and mythifying the death of Steve Jobs? They are selling this so much in the media that it can easily compete with Michael Jackson's death.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    24 times

Wait a min. all other topics apart, are u the guy who put a 500gb on his transformer???

ASUS Transformer Boasts a 500Gb Hard Drive | xda-developers

"Still, that hasn’t stopped one man. 32GB’s of memory not enough? Ok, how about 64GB? Nope, still not satisfied? Well, why don’t you go and buy one of those Archo’s tablets with a 250GB hard drive on board? No, you don’t want to? Alright, well to get to the point, a very talented modder, goodintentions, on XDA, has managed to fit a 500GB hard drive into his Asus Transformer, all while keeping all of the batteries, and all of the functionality intact"

LOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! DUDE URE KILLING RIGHT NOW!

PS: In my country, a Ferrari owner added an LPG on it's trunk, to avoid expensive Gas purchase. Ferrari re-bought the car from him, just because he was staining the brand.
    Last edited by nitefox; 10-29-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Jeffrey likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Wait a min. all other topics apart, are u the guy who put a 500gb on his transformer???
    "Still, that hasnít stopped one man. 32GBís of memory not enough? Ok, how about 64GB? Nope, still not satisfied? Well, why donít you go and buy one of those Archoís tablets with a 250GB hard drive on board? No, you donít want to? Alright, well to get to the point, a very talented modder, goodintentions, on XDA, has managed to fit a 500GB hard drive into his Asus Transformer, all while keeping all of the batteries, and all of the functionality intact"
    PS: In my country, a Ferrari owner added an LPG on it's trunk, to avoid expensive Gas purchase. Ferrari re-bought the car from him, just because he was staining the brand.
    AFAIK, it is indeed goodintentions who did this mod - but since then he seems to have lost a bit of love for TF really.

An image or brand-equity as is being discussed here is; what we as consumers make it. If we feel in our heart that we are using an imitation, wannbe iPad rather than a better than iPad device then that thought would some how come through our actions. If we feel that our TF is great then, outsiders would feel the same because that would come across as such in our actions and so on.

As users of TF, we each have a stake in saying that our TF is better than something else - but I believe in keeping this pride to ourselves - let our actions speak louder than words - that is my way anyway. I would rather keep using my TF and achieving great results than worrying about what someone else thinks.

On the London Underground train, I often come across so many people who use their Kindle, some who use iPad, some who use Netbook etc - but most of the time these people are left alone - I haven't seen anyone asking one of these people about the devices they are using - not during the rush hour anyway. I have had occasions to use my TF on the train and frankly I did not really care what others were thinking - I was busy with the work that I wanted to finish.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Love the post, i have a TF1 was thinking of getting the Prime but i guess I ll wait, but i do like the new look on Prime thou.
    -Asus Transformer-
    -Samsung Galaxy s2 4g touch-
    -Dr. Dre heaphones Solo White

Believe what you believe and don't let other put you down

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vlbaindoor View Post
    AFAIK, it is indeed goodintentions who did this mod - but since then he seems to have lost a bit of love for TF really.

An image or brand-equity as is being discussed here is; what we as consumers make it. If we feel in our heart that we are using an imitation, wannbe iPad rather than a better than iPad device then that thought would some how come through our actions. If we feel that our TF is great then, outsiders would feel the same because that would come across as such in our actions and so on.

As users of TF, we each have a stake in saying that our TF is better than something else - but I believe in keeping this pride to ourselves - let our actions speak louder than words - that is my way anyway. I would rather keep using my TF and achieving great results than worrying about what someone else thinks.

On the London Underground train, I often come across so many people who use their Kindle, some who use iPad, some who use Netbook etc - but most of the time these people are left alone - I haven't seen anyone asking one of these people about the devices they are using - not during the rush hour anyway. I have had occasions to use my TF on the train and frankly I did not really care what others were thinking - I was busy with the work that I wanted to finish.
    U are taking a very esoteric point of view on the subject, Such as it is impossible to tell that what you say is wrong, so inevitably I will have to agree with what you just wrote.

But what I am trying to do here is very well answered by this poster:

Quote Originally Posted by azndragoon402 View Post
    Love the post, i have a TF1 was thinking of getting the Prime but i guess I ll wait, but i do like the new look on Prime thou.
    I am glad If could help someone to postpone an unnecessary purchase, and maybe give him so information about what happens in the Market since not everybody really focuses on what the manufacturers are doing, or are projecting for the upcoming months.

@azndragoon402, ure welcome dude, tnx for the nice comment. Yes it's true that the new TF prime looks better, but be sure that, the next TFs after the Prime will look even better.
    Last edited by nitefox; 10-29-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times

"Still, that hasn’t stopped one man. 32GB’s of memory not enough? Ok, how about 64GB? Nope, still not satisfied? Well, why don’t you go and buy one of those Archo’s tablets with a 250GB hard drive on board? No, you don’t want to? Alright, well to get to the point, a very talented modder, goodintentions, on XDA, has managed to fit a 500GB hard drive into his Asus Transformer, all while keeping all of the batteries, and all of the functionality intact"

Yes, I am that guy.

Don't get me wrong. I love my transformer with all my heart. I'm also not a fanboy of anything. I say things as they are. And right now, apple dominates the market with its name. Why in the world would ordinary people want to get "an imitation"? Most of the world out there thinks the ipad is the only real tablet out there anyway.

The most recent survey shows that 90% of all people who are shopping for tablets or are about to get a tablet say they only want the ipad.

I've used the ipad before. I think the TF is infinitely better than the ipad 2. And I keep no secret that I've replaced completely my laptop with my transformer. In fact, I'm about to post my laptop on ebay.

But let's admit it. Most people don't want to use the tablet for work. All they want it for is to watch movies, read books and news, and surf the net. In other words, all the advantages of the TF is lost in most people. Why, then, would I want to recommend the TF to them if they won't have any bragging rights?

My brother just called me up yesterday asking me about the tablet. He's a project manager at one of the largest insurance companies in the country. Why did he call me? Because he was trying out the ipad 2 and he realized all the limitations that came with it. He needed more than just a toy. Over skype, I showed him all the functionalities of my transformer. I demo-ed everything he asked for. By the end of our conversation, he went ahead and ordered a transformer right away. Now, he's someone that I would recommend a transformer to. And no doubt, when the TF2 comes out, he will get that as well.

So, no, I haven't been converted or anything. I'm just not a fanboy of anything. To most ordinary people, I recommend the ipad because it's the most realistic thing for them. For someone like myself (an engineer) and my brother (a software project manager), I recommend the TF.

Added by edit.

Thank you for linking me to that article. I had no idea someone had written about it there. This was the first I saw it.

PS - I am currently banned from xda for posting a link to nvflash on another website that's comparable to xda. My ban will be lifted in a week. Haha, fun times...
    Last edited by goodintentions; 10-30-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Ads