Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QuintrKD

Thread: TF201 - Should I keep it or sell it?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

TF201 - Should I keep it or sell it?

Hi all

I've had a TF201 for a couple of years now but found Android too hard to use - coming from IOS - so I have only used it once and gone back to the iPad.

Anyway, I have three tablets. Ipad which is my work horse and used regularly simply for ease of use. Surface Pro used as Video streamer and multipurpose machine in my bedroom (obviously under utilized).
    The Transformer is packed away and has not been touched since I bought it. I've tried selling and giving away the transformer a couple of times but got no bites from friends, family or work colleagues - seems nobody wants a transformer. So the question is, do I swap the purpose of the transformer and surface and use the transformer as the video streamer to free up the surface for actual work, or do I continue to try and sell the TF201?

Also, what about updates? It's on ICS and I have absolutely no idea about which version it should be on or how to get it to that version. After reading the forums here, there is mention of ROMs for different models and queries about whether ASUS will update to the latest android version..... that all means nothing to me. If I could get it updated, maybe I could give it to my son for Christmas?

Do I really want to continue to use a TF201 if it is outdated and not being supplied with the latest security updates?

I just do not know what to do with this tablet.....

Thanks
    Sharyn

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    2 times

Find a Good Home for It

I suggest that you talk to musician friends about their interest in scanning their music or tweaking chord charts and using the tablet as a music display with a bluetooth page turner. I just bought a Prime yesterday on ebay to use with my BT-105 via the Guitartapp application specifically for this purpose, as my Memopad HD7 went out of commission with screen sensitivity issues. I suspect other musicians would love to try out a 10 inch tablet like this to graduate from sheet music... There are some great sheet music apps out there (Guitartapp, Mobilesheets, Orpheus, etc). Some of them even transpose if chordcharts are converted to Chordpro format (guitartapp), and they can really streamline band management using the transpose and set share features.

I'm seeing significant trend towards using tablets in contemporary worship, so at the very least you should at least be able to get a tax donation for donating one to a local church. And if the musicians inquire about further investment, Airturn BT-105's are a very solid, dependable pedal, and can be purchased refurbished for as little as $70.
    Tor likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow what a great idea

Wow, what a great idea. I have a musician friend who might just like to do that. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by QuintrKD View Post
    I suggest that you talk to musician friends about their interest in scanning their music or tweaking chord charts and using the tablet as a music display with a bluetooth page turner. I just bought a Prime yesterday on ebay to use with my BT-105 via the Guitartapp application specifically for this purpose, as my Memopad HD7 went out of commission with screen sensitivity issues. I suspect other musicians would love to try out a 10 inch tablet like this to graduate from sheet music... There are some great sheet music apps out there (Guitartapp, Mobilesheets, Orpheus, etc). Some of them even transpose if chordcharts are converted to Chordpro format (guitartapp), and they can really streamline band management using the transpose and set share features.

I'm seeing significant trend towards using tablets in contemporary worship, so at the very least you should at least be able to get a tax donation for donating one to a local church. And if the musicians inquire about further investment, Airturn BT-105's are a very solid, dependable pedal, and can be purchased refurbished for as little as $70.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shazzm View Post
    The Transformer is packed away and has not been touched since I bought it. I've tried selling and giving away the transformer a couple of times but got no bites from friends, family or work colleagues - seems nobody wants a transformer.
    Me, me! I love my TF201. It's as useful for me as a laptop running Windows. Edit
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-04-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: forum guidelines
    --
    LikesCookies
    TF201 CAOKASxxxxxx/BCOKASxxxxxx
    Dock C3OKASxxxxxx

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    send it to me

i can use another one

I've really enjoyed my transformer prime, it's been rock solid for me

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    67 times
    Sorry for violating guidelines. It was an accident.
    --
    LikesCookies
    TF201 CAOKASxxxxxx/BCOKASxxxxxx
    Dock C3OKASxxxxxx

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    The TF201 does get security updates for the most part, as most of them are in applications anyway. Although there's an issue on the 4.1 Android version - not that it's that critical, I have no qualms continuing running that same version on my TF700T. I gave my TF201 to my 80 year old father, he uses it for all his networking needs (email, video calls, radio, newspaper, weather forecasts, etc) when away for the winter. It works perfectly fine.

The musician support idea is a good one too, I use my TF700T that way too, although there were some interesting apps listed in QuintrKD's post - I'll look into that.

-Tor

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    You definitely want to update to 4.1.1 that Asus provided. You will also likely want to do a factory reset to speed things up. We have guides in the site for both of these operations.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Yes, 4.1.1 is the version I installed on my old TF201 (and on my TF700T).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links