Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times

Data Security 'Hard Bricked' TF201

So, the not quite inevitable happened. I roached my ASUS Transformer Prime TF201. I have a pretty good idea of why it happened. Have tried every recovery technique I could find and it is 'Hard Bricked'. Contacted ASUS Technical Support and told them everything I had tried to recover and No Joy! ASUS is now down to 'only' $184 to replace the motherboard; I'm having a hard time justifying that kind of money for aging technology. I can find a replacement motherboard for $70-140 and do it myself. Again, this device is getting past the worth it point.

I was in the process of deleting all data and doing a factory restore when the unit bricked. Have no idea how far along, if at all, it may have gotten.
    Does anyone have any idea how secure any remaining data might be on my hard bricked device, if I throw it up on eBay? Is it better to part it out? Is it worth parting it out? I hate to just 'bin' it and have plenty of accessories for it. Be nice to get a few bucks back out of this.

Thanks for any ideas.

John

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I would think it depends on how sensitive the data is you have on the tablet. If you sell it as is and someone replaces the mainboard they may have access to it...
    So why not replace it yourself, securely wipe all data off it and then sell it with accessories?
    You may get just as much or more than selling it for parts even if you have to buy the motherboard.
    Ask yourself what's it worth to you to have peace of mind about your data being secure...

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTee View Post
    So, the not quite inevitable happened. I roached my ASUS Transformer Prime TF201. I have a pretty good idea of why it happened. Have tried every recovery technique I could find and it is 'Hard Bricked'. Contacted ASUS Technical Support and told them everything I had tried to recover and No Joy! ASUS is now down to 'only' $184 to replace the motherboard; I'm having a hard time justifying that kind of money for aging technology. I can find a replacement motherboard for $70-140 and do it myself. Again, this device is getting past the worth it point.

I was in the process of deleting all data and doing a factory restore when the unit bricked. Have no idea how far along, if at all, it may have gotten.
    Does anyone have any idea how secure any remaining data might be on my hard bricked device, if I throw it up on eBay? Is it better to part it out? Is it worth parting it out? I hate to just 'bin' it and have plenty of accessories for it. Be nice to get a few bucks back out of this.

Thanks for any ideas.

John
    Why was it hard bricked when you did a factory reset? Maybe someone can help you if you give them more detail.. Just hoping...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    I think it was a combination of things. It's been a while now since I unlocked it and I'm going to only remember parts of it.
    Unlocked
    Clockworkmod
    Seems there was another step in there
    Everything went fine.

The other day I was going through it, deleting files, with the intent of passing it on. There was a .ZIP file, clockwork? cyanogen? in the root that I deleted.
    I attempted to use the Factory Reset under Settings, but it never did anything.
    I did a Cold Reboot and noticed in the menu choices, "RCK", the Android, the USB Icon and "Wipe Data"
    Well, there you go. THAT'S what I want to do.

Where the original steps were to hold Power-Volume down to reach the Cold Boot menu, then Volume Down to choose and Volume Up to Enter, I was always entering the Cold Boot menu when I hit Volume Down. Finally tried Volume Up to choose "Wipe Data" and then Volume Down to Enter.

And there it sat.

I finally tried to Power-Volume Down/Cold Boot again and it comes up saying 'Unlocked' in the top left corner and ASUS in the middle. Never displays the Cold Boot menu.
    Repeat Power-Volume Down restarts to the same screen.
    Power button pushed and held till it vibrates results in it restarting to the same dead-end screen; it won't power down.
    Finally figured out that I could power it down by Power Button-Volume up till it vibrates.

It is not recognized as a USB device.
    I downloaded US_epaduser10_4_2_17UpdateLauncher.zip, extracted US_epad-user-10.4.2.17.zip to a blank, FAT32 formatted Micro SD Card and tried cold rebooting. No joy.

I remains stuck showing 'Unlocked' in the top left corner and ASUS on the screen.

Talked to ASUS tech support and they could provide no further help.

Also tried the reset pinhole multiple times before, after, during Cold Reboot (that almost takes three hands!) and same stuck spot.

John

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I'm very sorry to tell you this, but the mistake you made was to use factory reset from Settings with a custom recovery installed. If you had left it alone at that point...
    CWM usually sorts it out but needs several hours for the wipe. You interrupted the process and followed it up with a wipe data from the bootloader.
    Which is the second nono with a custom recovery installed.
    Since you can't boot into recovery or bootloader, it's bricked.
    Only a new motherboard will bring it back.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    I'm very sorry to tell you this, but the mistake you made was to use factory reset from Settings with a custom recovery installed. If you had left it alone at that point...
    CWM usually sorts it out but needs several hours for the wipe. You interrupted the process and followed it up with a wipe data from the bootloader.
    Which is the second nono with a custom recovery installed.
    Since you can't boot into recovery or bootloader, it's bricked.
    Only a new motherboard will bring it back.
    Yah, that was pretty much the conclusion I had come to. When I received no message after choosing factory reset I thought that might be knocked out by unlocking/MOD. I'm seeing working units on eBay for $50-80 and motherboards for $90-150 . . .

Again, it's 'old tech' and it's hard to put much into it. Maybe I can get a broken unit cheap . . .

John

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    I think it was a combination of things. It's been a while now since I unlocked it and I'm going to only remember parts of it.
    Unlocked
    Clockworkmod
    Seems there was another step in there
    Everything went fine.

The other day I was going through it, deleting files, with the intent of passing it on. There was a .ZIP file, clockwork? cyanogen? in the root that I deleted.
    I attempted to use the Factory Reset under Settings, but it never did anything.
    I did a Cold Reboot and noticed in the menu choices, "RCK", the Android, the USB Icon and "Wipe Data"
    Well, there you go. THAT'S what I want to do.

Where the original steps were to hold Power-Volume down to reach the Cold Boot menu, then Volume Down to choose and Volume Up to Enter, I was always entering the Cold Boot menu when I hit Volume Down. Finally tried Volume Up to choose "Wipe Data" and then Volume Down to Enter.

And there it sat.

I finally tried to Power-Volume Down/Cold Boot again and it comes up saying 'Unlocked' in the top left corner and ASUS in the middle. Never displays the Cold Boot menu.
    Repeat Power-Volume Down restarts to the same screen.
    Power button pushed and held till it vibrates results in it restarting to the same dead-end screen; it won't power down.
    Finally figured out that I could power it down by Power Button-Volume up till it vibrates.

It is not recognized as a USB device.
    I downloaded US_epaduser10_4_2_17UpdateLauncher.zip, extracted US_epad-user-10.4.2.17.zip to a blank, FAT32 formatted Micro SD Card and tried cold rebooting. No joy.

I remains stuck showing 'Unlocked' in the top left corner and ASUS on the screen.

Talked to ASUS tech support and they could provide no further help.

Also tried the reset pinhole multiple times before, after, during Cold Reboot (that almost takes three hands!) and same stuck spot.

John
    Did you see the spinning circle underneath the Asus logo?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
    Did you see the spinning circle underneath the Asus logo?
    Spinning Logo not present in this state. Here's a screenshot of what I've got. Sorry for the angle and reflections. Was trying not to get myself.

20141015_103049.jpg

John

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Spinning Logo not present in this state. Here's a screenshot of what I've got. Sorry for the angle and reflections. Was trying not to get myself.

20141015_103049.jpg

John
    It is stuck in the bootloader state so I assumed that it is doing something or a currupted bootloader. In either cases, it is not a good news. There are a few things that you could try. One, you may want to plug your charger in your device and let it runs like that over night to see if it can get out of that state. Second, you could find the wheelie blob from someone and try to use it to flash the bootloader back on yourdevice. There was one user using wheelie blob from a different device and flash a tf300 bootloader in the tf700 device. In short, if you can find the NVflash blobs for your device from someone, you could give it a shot and might find some hope. Good luck...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
    It is stuck in the bootloader state so I assumed that it is doing something or a currupted bootloader. In either cases, it is not a good news. There are a few things that you could try. One, you may want to plug your charger in your device and let it runs like that over night to see if it can get out of that state. Second, you could find the wheelie blob from someone and try to use it to flash the bootloader back on yourdevice. There was one user using wheelie blob from a different device and flash a tf300 bootloader in the tf700 device. In short, if you can find the NVflash blobs for your device from someone, you could give it a shot and might find some hope. Good luck...
    You are thinking of the "das chaos case" in lj's nvflash thread, right?
    That was different since he had generated the wheelie blob for his TF700, but forgot to generate the nvflash blobs.
    I belive the wheelie blob is already device specific, correct? Without it he would not have been able to flash the bricksafeimage of his TF300 to his TF700 - which is crazy enough and according to _that flashing the bootloader of a different device should result in a hardbrick (same for the bricksafeimage)...
    Well it did work... afaik he's still running a TF300 rom on his TF700 with a TF300 bootloader and recovery
    But without his own TF700 wheelie blob (pulled from his device) none of this would have been possible - or that's my understanding of it....
    Last edited by droidbound; 10-18-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links