Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Simple Non-invasive Wifi Fix For ASUS Transformer Prime TF201

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Simple Non-invasive Wifi Fix For ASUS Transformer Prime TF201

I found this simple non-invasive fix for the ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 weak Wifi problem on the internet at “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-lJTTc7XY”. It works*!!! Put a piece of doubled-up aluminum foil on the upper right side of the tablet so that it is folded OVER the top edge of the tablet about a fingernail's length from the right edge side (See photo below). The size is not very critical; mine is 2.5 inches long by 1 inch high. Also the placement isn't very critical; where I have it in the picture is fine.

I have taped it to the tablet because I don't care what it looks like and want as much signal level as I can get, but you can just keep it somewhere when you need the extra boost (I've only had a problem with weak wifi in some hotels). The fix consistently increases the signal about 6 dB (4 times) or more per the Wifi Analyzer App!!! I also ran speed tests 3 times using the Speed Test App. The results are shown below. By the way, I have done speed tests with different Apps and get different results from below, BUT they are always higher with the foil.

Remember that the speed of the data to and from the tablet is a function of the received signal level, so the more signal received - the more data rate.

(In Our Family Room - Stronger Signal)
    Without the Foil With the Foil
    Downlink/Uplink (Mbps) Downlink/Uplink (Mbps)
    9.6/17 15/23.4
    13.7/21.3 14.3/22.3
    11.4/15.2 15/24
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    (In Another Location farther from our router - Weaker Signal)
    Without the Foil With the Foil
    Downlink/Uplink (Mbps) Downlink/Uplink (Mbps)
    3.4/5.8 13/17.6
    3.7/8.3 10.2/15.7
    4.3/9.8 17/26.3

2013-02-02_15-03-29_600.jpg

*I'm an Electrical Engineer and have worked with antennas, so I'm guessing that it creates a parasitic antenna like the YAGI does with its Directors and Reflector elements relative to the driven element. Being outside of the aluminum back panel, the parasitic antenna adds to the sensitivity of the internal one. However, that is just a guess.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    482 times
    Thanks for the post.

There were all kinds of attempts at a solution shortly after the Prime came out.

Good it's working for ya.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    6 times
    Hot damn, I just tried it and it worked for me, too. Neat.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    776 times
    Appreciate the post Dave! Although I don't have any WiFi problems with my 101, I tried it, but it didn't seem to affect it!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davetf View Post

I found this simple non-invasive fix for the ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 weak Wifi problem on the internet at “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-lJTTc7XY”. It works*!!! Put a piece of doubled-up aluminum foil on the upper right side of the tablet so that it is folded OVER the top edge of the tablet about a fingernail's length from the right edge side (See photo below). The size is not very critical; mine is 2.5 inches long by 1 inch high. Also the placement isn't very critical; where I have it in the picture is fine.

I have taped it to the tablet because I don't care what it looks like and want as much signal level as I can get, but you can just keep it somewhere when you need the extra boost (I've only had a problem with weak wifi in some hotels). The fix consistently increases the signal about 6 dB (4 times) or more per the Wifi Analyzer App!!! I also ran speed tests 3 times using the Speed Test App. The results are shown below. By the way, I have done speed tests with different Apps and get different results from below, BUT they are always higher with the foil.

Remember that the speed of the data to and from the tablet is a function of the received signal level, so the more signal received - the more data rate.

(In Our Family Room - Stronger Signal)
    Without the FoilWith the Foil
    Downlink/Uplink (Mbps)Downlink/Uplink (Mbps)
    9.6/1715/23.4
    13.7/21.314.3/22.3
    11.4/15.215/24
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    (In Another Location farther from our router - Weaker Signal)
    Without the FoilWith the Foil
    Downlink/Uplink (Mbps)Downlink/Uplink (Mbps)
    3.4/5.813/17.6
    3.7/8.310.2/15.7
    4.3/9.817/26.3

2013-02-02_15-03-29_600.jpg

*I'm an Electrical Engineer and have worked with antennas, so I'm guessing that it creates a parasitic antenna like the YAGI does with its Directors and Reflector elements relative to the driven element. Being outside of the aluminum back panel, the parasitic antenna adds to the sensitivity of the internal one. However, that is just a guess.
    dave,
    be ready, however. I posted the same suggestion on this forum several months ago. I can't remember where I had got the idea from but the piece of foil (I used a single layer of aluminum foil instead of a double layer) worked for me at least. Well, here is an example of responses that I got:
    "Nothing screams quality better than sticking a piece of tin foil on my $500 tablet. ASUS should be proud.epper:"
    Plus, that response was liked by two regular posters here. I will say that I still have the piece of aluminum foil taped to my prime. But, beware, there are those that will apparently make fun of the idea.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    141 times
    I have done a lot of careful testing on my TF201 after seeing that video. The variant that gives the best boost for my TF201 is slightly different (I started with the fold-over variant in the video and worked from there). I cut a piece of approximately 4cm x 2cm piece of aluminium foil. I use a piece of scotch to tape the (as seen from the front) left cm or so to the front of the TF201, approximately over where you see the 'settings' icon in the picture in the first post. The rest of the foil I leave loose, and I don't fold it back over the back of the TF201, I let it stick up, or just folded back a little bit. In fact before I do this I'll cover the foil with tape (both sides) if I have time.. this was something I first did so that I could simply paint it black (to fit in..). So there's no need for any electrical conduction to the metal at the back. In fact it seems to work better without.

Results: With the method (flip-over, fully taped) shown in the video I would get 6-8dB improvement. With the loose foil method I can get up to an incredible 15dB gain improvement, and 10dB easily! The difference is huge, at work I can enter a meeting office where I can't even see any access points with wi-fi analyzer, attach the piece of foil and I not only see several, but I have a good connection to the company wifi. At home I had no or poor connection from my downstairs lounge, with the foil there are no problems and the speed is good.

The only problem with this solution is that the piece of foil tends to get ripped off when I move the TF201 in and out of the backpack, or in and out of the so-called 'ipad' pocket in my vest. So the taped, folded-over solution would be better for durability, however the loose foil method gives so much better performance when placed correctly.. so I just keep re-making them as and when the foil gets ripped off.

-Tor
    Last edited by Tor; 04-21-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added a sentence.
    stefab likes this.

Ratchet
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    I would recommend an ultra-mesh fabric over the foil held in place with duct tape, will give that tablet character;-)

Dave, love this solution! If you are peeping this thread, curious, do you think a more conductive material would yield better results? You gotta admit it would be cool to have a mini-Yagi/UDA antenna array hanging over a tablet, would be kinda retro ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I have done a lot of careful testing on my TF201 after seeing that video. The variant that gives the best boost for my TF201 is slightly different (I started with the fold-over variant in the video and worked from there). I cut a piece of approximately 4cm x 2cm piece of aluminium foil. I use a piece of scotch to tape the (as seen from the front) left cm or so to the front of the TF201, approximately over where you see the 'settings' icon in the picture in the first post. The rest of the foil I leave loose, and I don't fold it back over the back of the TF201, I let it stick up, or just folded back a little bit. In fact before I do this I'll cover the foil with tape (both sides) if I have time.. this was something I first did so that I could simply paint it black (to fit in..). So there's no need for any electrical conduction to the metal at the back. In fact it seems to work better without.

Results: With the method (flip-over, fully taped) shown in the video I would get 6-8dB improvement. With the loose foil method I can get up to an incredible 15dB gain improvement, and 10dB easily! The difference is huge, at work I can enter a meeting office where I can't even see any access points with wi-fi analyzer, attach the piece of foil and I not only see several, but I have a good connection to the company wifi. At home I had no or poor connection from my downstairs lounge, with the foil there are no problems and the speed is good.

The only problem with this solution is that the piece of foil tends to get ripped off when I move the TF201 in and out of the backpack, or in and out of the so-called 'ipad' pocket in my vest. So the taped, folded-over solution would be better for durability, however the loose foil method gives so much better performance when placed correctly.. so I just keep re-making them as and when the foil gets ripped off.

-Tor

Sent by "bluezdawg" from my scream'n Infinity TF700/TF201 run'n Jelly Bean 4.2.1 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by bluezdawg; 04-21-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    stefab likes this.
    'dawg

"Stargate Mobile": TF700 run'n Jellybean 4.2.2 & TF201 Dock
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 run'n Jelly Bean
    "never take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive"

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Although I don't have any WiFi problems with my 101, I tried it, but it didn't seem to affect it!
    Indeed, it has no effect on my TF700T either, I test it side-by-side with my TF201 and it only works for the TF201. But what a difference it makes for the TF201.. the TF700T is good to to begin with of course.

-Tor

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    You gotta admit it would be cool to have a mini-Yagi/UDA antenna array hanging over a tablet, would be kinda retro ;-)

Not being anything close to expert on antennas and such, I was intrigued by the mental picture of a mini Yagi array sticking up off the upper right corner of my TF201.

So I went to that 'wiki' place and found out what that was. OH So that's what they look like!

Also saw that the distance between directors, reflector and driven elements are related to the frequency you want to pull in.

They have a few pics of what they look like and one for operating at 144MHz.

Don't most WIFI routers broadcast at 2.4 and 5 GHz?

So how small (large) would it have to be to be 'tuned' correctly?

Just wondering.

HMM Just notice my device list below is way out of date!
    Transformer Prime w/dock in Amethyst/Grey
    Galaxy S (AT&T Captivate)
    Windows Vista 64bit Desktop

"I Ain't Married to None of 'Em!"

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    141 times
    From what I can tell the foil-trick doesn't actually work as an antenna. I suspect (I'm a ham radio operator) that the foil changes the built-in antenna's resonance frequency or improves the impedance conditions - the built-in antenna probably suffers from the environment where it's placed. The TF700 has been modified to fix the TF201 problem so that's not an issue anymore (and indeed the foil doesn't change anything on the TF700).

-Tor

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads