Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wow - My prime is fast and wi fi working like never before.. After data wipe..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Wow - My prime is fast and wi fi working like never before.. After data wipe..

I bought one of the first TF201 in Dec 2011 and it has been okay - - but I know the wi fi is slow and the Dongle is a joke for GPS. So I cold-boot Linux once a week and messed up on the volume rocker and wiped the data. I wasn't planning on doing this until Jelly bean was released.. WOW.. My tablet runs faster, smoother and wi fi is faster on download speed. Signal not stronger but download is faster.

If you have not wiped data and start over.. Try it !
    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    You have a Prime, and it's running faster? Don't worry....call ASUS support-they are extremely lax with email,
    get an RMA & ship it off to them....I'm sure they'll be able to slow it back down. j/k. Good to hear & great advice.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Could you explain what cold-boot Linux once a week and messed up on the volume rocker means in practical terms please as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the Prime. Is the Jelly Bean upgrade available for the TP201?

Thank you

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    nkeith...you will often read the terms cold boot or hard reset on this forum. They are the same thing.
    Many people do one once a week, or if you think your machine is acting a little laggy.
    It'a like blowin your tablets nose....gets rid of the clutter. If I had the fancy technical terms I'd tell
    you that it clears the memory cache and all sorts of wonderful things I don't comprehend.
    I'll stick with blow nose/get rid of the mess....leave your tablet fresher.

You do one by turning off & unplugging your tablet-connected to dock if you have one.
    Then press & hold both volume down & power buttons. Keep holding until you see some wee
    white writing, top left screen....then release. The volume rocker can then be used to switch functions.
    Do nothing-it will cold boot OR use the volume rocker to perform a factory reset.

That's what the OP meant by "messing up the volume rocker".

A cold boot/hard reset will not delete any of your data....a factory reset does.

Edit-- sorry, forgot the 2nd part...Jelly Bean will be coming to the 201 in the not distant future...and it is advised to follow this guidel when making the change over to the new system....where you will be performing both a cold boot & a factory reset.
    Last edited by eejit; 09-24-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    With Transformer Prime off, hold down power button and volume rocker down - Then it will boot up and give you two "squares" - one is wipe data and one is cold-boot linux. The instructions say " Vol-up to switch mode and vol-down to confirm mode" - Well typically I select the "boot" up square but i zigged when I should have zagged and wiped the data. Everything is erased and you log into Gmail -- then you'll see the list in "google play" and reinstall everything. Like I said, I was going to do it after Jellybean is out. But I'm really glad I "messed up" and it runs very well - download speeds are flying like never before, 2MB/sec with a good server pushing those speeds.

Jellybean is not out yet and I'm not sure it ever will be - lots of delays according to other threads.

Good luck, Kev

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've done this via the factory reset in Settings and noticed better performance as well. (Settings>Backup &reset>Factory Data Reset) Obviously this will delete your data so make sure you backup your personal data. Next time I'll try the Cold boot linux to see if there is any difference.
    Last edited by Kylo77; 09-24-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nkeith View Post
    Could you explain what cold-boot Linux once a week and messed up on the volume rocker means in practical terms please as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the Prime. Is the Jelly Bean upgrade available for the TP201?

Thank you
    eejit did a wonderful job at explaining it in layman's terms. I'll just add on to it.

When you perform an operation, say opening your browser, your computing device will download contents from the webpage onto your memory so you can read it. These are temporary codes and will be overwritten once you are done with the task.

It's like writing on a piece of paper, and then once you run out of line you just go back to the beginning and write over your past contents.

Under ideal conditions, when you perform a different operation, the new operation will only look at the temporary contents that have been written on the memory specific to this operation. However, after having too much temporary contents on the memory, it becomes increasingly harder and harder for the current operation to dig through and tell which is for what. This slows down the operation. An example of this is my office's desk. I got files laying all over the place. And when a client calls, I have to pretend like I'm in the middle of something to put him on hold. In reality, I'm just digging through my piles of paperwork to find his stuff.

Every once in a while, the current operation mistakes a content from the past as its own, thus you have things like errors and app crashes. It's like me reading files for John even though I'm talking to Steve. At some point, Steve is going to say "wait a minute, why are you charging me for that even though I didn't get that serviced?"

In the computer world, we call these things gremlins. They're named after the mythical creatures who no one ever sees but always mess up the ship's inner workings. God knows, I got a whole stack load of gremlins lying on my desk right now.

Now, I'm sure the question on everyone's mind is why does it have to be a cold boot to get rid of these gremlins? Why not just a simple reboot?

Technically speaking, a reboot is suppose to get rid of these gremlins. But in the real world, we all know that things don't always work the way they're suppose to. The idea behind killing all the gremlins with a reboot is you deprive the system of power momentarily and then boot it up again. Gremlins only survive in an electrical environment. But anyone who's ever worked with a light bulb will tell you that even after you've turned off the light there's an after glow. Another example is take any device like your vcr or your dvd player and unplug it outright. The LEDs inside those devices will continue to glow for several seconds after the power has been disconnected. These are left over electricity stored in the hardware like wires, caps, etc.

With modern solid drives, it's even worse. Residual electricity can last a lot longer than that. And with the battery always connected to the system, there is always a tiny stream of electricity going into the system. This is why even if you turn off your device and go away for half a year, you will find your battery partially discharged by a certain amount.

In other words, because of the way these mobile devices are built physically, gremlins are here to stay if you don't do something about it.

A linux cold boot or hard reset formats the partitions that gremlins reside. It's like taking an eraser and erases the stuff you have written on your paper. The temporary partitions are given a clean slate.

Congrats! If you made it this far, you can now use these words to impress your friends.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 09-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    eejit and Nik.s like this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times

Very nice explanation GI, thanks.
    ....also bookmarked for the countless times I've read "why do I have to cold boot??" threads.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    51 times
    Lovely job guys. Now I have a related question. I have jellybean. When I cold boot I get 4 icons. I still do nothing, but what do they all mean?
    Happy owner of a TF300T

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimo View Post
    Lovely job guys. Now I have a related question. I have jellybean. When I cold boot I get 4 icons. I still do nothing, but what do they all mean?
    This prompts me to take my prime out of cold storage to upgrade. I'll get back to you probably tonight when I get home from work. Been using my galaxy tab 2 and infinity for everything. The prime has been sitting in cold storage for a couple weeks now.
    Mimo likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links