Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TF201 Dock Fractured Screen. Will Asus repair?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times

TF201 Dock Fractured Screen. Will Asus repair?

I noticed a small crack in the screen today from corner to corner on the bottom right side. Then I closed the dock for a bit and came back and when I opened it I heard it stress and now there are 2 full length diagonal cracks in addition to the small one on the corner. So I took the TFP out of the dock and there is a stress crack at the point of the right side where the Prime locks into the dock.

I have a case that encompasses both the tablet and the dock. I can't imagine I put any stress on the TFP except for opening and closing it. It was sitting on my desk and I'm the only one who had access to it, so I know it wasn't dropped. Has anyone heard of this being a common problem?

Any idea if Asus will classify this as anything other than damage inflicted by me?

Thanks for your input!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I hate to say it but you're probably SOL on this one man, sorry to hear.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bille2021 View Post
    I noticed a small crack in the screen today from corner to corner on the bottom right side. Then I closed the dock for a bit and came back and when I opened it I heard it stress and now there are 2 full length diagonal cracks in addition to the small one on the corner. So I took the TFP out of the dock and there is a stress crack at the point of the right side where the Prime locks into the dock.

I have a case that encompasses both the tablet and the dock. I can't imagine I put any stress on the TFP except for opening and closing it. It was sitting on my desk and I'm the only one who had access to it, so I know it wasn't dropped. Has anyone heard of this being a common problem?

Any idea if Asus will classify this as anything other than damage inflicted by me?

Thanks for your input!
    Yep, this was pretty common and well know..

There were numerous threads on xda, some on here (heck, I even started one), as well as a website made cataloging incidents of it.

Just Google "Crackformer Prime"

Asus was stuck on blaming the user and having them pay for it last I checked - I can't imagine anythings changed. Most likely, expect to pay a few hundred out of pocket like the others have, unfortunately..

Might also try homeowners insurance, or depending on how you pay, some cards place warranties on electronic purchases..

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bille2021 View Post

Thanks for your input!
    Sorry to hear this, but you are not an isolated case Quality control problems for Asus tablets? covers the general story with links to specifics on the cracked screen.

Sadly, while Asus are a good company, they do not appear (for reasons that are pretty obvious) to be taking any other course with this sort of thing than "user abuse". IE dropped it, were rough with it etc.

Again, my commiserations.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks for the input all. Yep, after a little googling I see that I'm screwed. I love my TFP but this will most likely be my last Asus purchase. I had issues with my TF101 in Feb this year. I sent it in for the back-light going out one day, in the process of fixing it they upgraded me to ICS, and when I got it back it just kept rebooting, even with stock install. Sent it back again and it came back with a solution of "could not reproduce error." Neither of the issues my fault but I went 2 months without the tablet and had to pay for shipping. Once you pay for shipping and insurance, it gets a little pricey for back to back shipments. I only got the TFP because Amazon was able to take the TF101 back.

I am also already seeing reports of screen issue on the Nexus 7. Seems like Asus is pumping things out too fast and need to implement a better testing in the wild program. I love the TFP, but I cant keep investing money in a company who obviously cares nothing for their customers who have legitimate RMA claims.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    16 times
    Oh Asus will repair your screen....mayby fix it right the first time even. But you WILL pay for it even if it is a faulty design.
    Bille2021 likes this.
    Asus Test Monkey

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times

I can't find it right now but if you do a forum search there is a compny in CA that is replacing screens maybe it will be a better dell than sending it to ASUS.

Found it

http://www.sandiegopchelp.com/servic...d-transformer/
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    some of the reasons Ibought 5he prime was for the docking capability, the ability to add a SD card, and portability. Well Asus missed all 3. I'm afraid to buy a dock because of the cracked screen problem ----I've lost 2 SD cards because of the poor design --- and my wifi is weak -----plus the bluetooth sync issue 4 strikes if I needed gps it would be 5 strikes . Pretty bad for something that costs $600. I dont think I will be buying another Asus tablet

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post

I can't find it right now but if you do a forum search there is a compny in CA that is replacing screens maybe it will be a better dell than sending it to ASUS.

Found it

http://www.sandiegopchelp.com/servic...d-transformer/
    Appreciate that!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mmurph15 View Post
    some of the reasons Ibought 5he prime was for the docking capability, the ability to add a SD card, and portability. Well Asus missed all 3. I'm afraid to buy a dock because of the cracked screen problem ----I've lost 2 SD cards because of the poor design --- and my wifi is weak -----plus the bluetooth sync issue 4 strikes if I needed gps it would be 5 strikes . Pretty bad for something that costs $600. I dont think I will be buying another Asus tablet
    I recall you filed down your card, so that was not Asus's fault. I bought a Repeater and have full WifFi bars 72Mbps, dowloading right now at 240KB/s. Model Asus WL-330N3G. I am in the basement about 70 feet from the main router.

The number of cracked screens is quite low. Again, some of these reports are due to owner error. As you know, Asus did send out a GPS dongle which fixes the GPS problem.
    Last edited by Swipe; 07-23-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links