Thread: Using the TP as a external monitor over HDMI with a Nikon D7000

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

Exclamation Using the TP as a external monitor over HDMI with a Nikon D7000

I am trying to find out if you can use the Mini HDMI on the D7000 and convert it to micro HDMI and push Video and Audio onto the Transformer. For the main application of pulling focus on a DSLR filming rig.

I am looking to buy the T. Infinity 700 for this use.

Googled this for a while to no avail.

Thank you in advance.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    46 times
    Check out Helicon remote beta at this link, I believe you connect to the camera via the usb charging port with an adapter. The software allows you to remotely control the camera.
    I believe the hdmi is out only and not for input, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by ncphoto; 07-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncphoto View Post
    Check out Helicon remote beta at this link, I believe you connect to the camera via the usb charging port with an adapter. The software allows you to remotely control the camera.
    That is a cool app.

However all I am looking for initially is the capability of the Transformer to receive the image and display what the camera sees. So when I am shooting from a low or odd angle I can see exactly what my camera sees but bigger brighter and from the screen of the tablet.

Kinda like this : Redrock DSLR Rig with Monitor mounting | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    46 times
    That is a pretty impressive rig. It probably costs more than my Prime. The Prime does have the capability of a large monitor using Helicon Remote. Using live view you communicate the image in your viewfinder to the Prime giving you a much larger viewing image. The big plus is that you can also control the focus and exposure from the Prime or tablet as well. You can try the program, it's free with the only limitation of the free version is that you cannot shoot raw.
    A link here with a video showing the operation of the software.
    Last edited by ncphoto; 07-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    However all I am looking for initially is the capability of the Transformer to receive the image and display what the camera sees. So when I am shooting from a low or odd angle I can see exactly what my camera sees but bigger brighter and from the screen of the tablet.
    The prime has no HDMI input, so the only way to get your live camera image showing up is to use one of the DSLR tethered shooting programs like the one in the link earlier.

Also, if you're shooting 1080 hd you'll be seeing a downconverted image since the prime's screen is not going to display 1080 lines, so I wouldn't trust it for critical focus stuff really. And all the cables and setup and stuff could be a pain on a shoot.

I've used my prime tethered on some still shoots and the clients really loved it for the previewing, it worked great. I haven't shot any video projects yet with a DSLR but I've thought about using the prime in a similar way to what you're talking about but I don't think it will really work very well, for me. For certain kinds of studio shooting, it might be okay for video, but for location shooting I'm not so sure, I think plain old 1080p monitor would be simpler and quicker to deal with.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by vt220; 07-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    PaulM likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vt220 View Post
    The prime has no HDMI input, so the only way to get your live camera image showing up is to use one of the DSLR tethered shooting programs like the one in the link earlier.

Also, if you're shooting 1080 hd you'll be seeing a downconverted image since the prime's screen is not going to display 1080 lines, so I wouldn't trust it for critical focus stuff really. And all the cables and setup and stuff could be a pain on a shoot.

I've used my prime tethered on some still shoots and the clients really loved it for the previewing, it worked great. I haven't shot any video projects yet with a DSLR but I've thought about using the prime in a similar way to what you're talking about but I don't think it will really work very well, for me. For certain kinds of studio shooting, it might be okay for video, but for location shooting I'm not so sure, I think plain old 1080p monitor would be simpler and quicker to deal with.

So I would be connecting via USB.

I will be purchasing the TF700 ASAP. I just care that the image is displayed real time. Saves me money and time by having a all-in-one device.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    So I would be connecting via USB.

I will be purchasing the TF700 ASAP. I just care that the image is displayed real time. Saves me money and time by having a all-in-one device.
    Doh I totally missed the TF700 in your post, coffee must not have kicked in.

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dslrcontroller with a Canon 7D and 5D Mark II and image is displayed in real time. The app has focus pulling controls as well but I have not tested them thoroughly yet myself. I think it might work for you OK though, if it supports your camera. I am not sure about its support for Nikon cameras.

Last edited by vt220; 07-03-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

Re: Using the TP as a external monitor over HDMI with a Nikon D7000

Quote Originally Posted by vt220 View Post
    Doh I totally missed the TF700 in your post, coffee must not have kicked in.

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dslrcontroller with a Canon 7D and 5D Mark II and image is displayed in real time. The app has focus pulling controls as well but I have not tested them thoroughly yet myself. I think it might work for you OK though, if it supports your camera. I am not sure about its support for Nikon cameras.

well I have one now. Ill let you know in a few days how things work out.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

Re: Using the TP as a external monitor over HDMI with a Nikon D7000

Quote Originally Posted by ncphoto View Post
    Awesome, over a USB to mini-USB it worked. The picture taking time is slower than hand held ... but for video it should work well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links