Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How can I see and access my NAS device?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    8 times

How can I see and access my NAS device?

Hello

I'm a new member here who got his Asus Prime T201 in the post yesterday. I charged it up for 16 hours before turning it on for the first time this morning to make sure that the batteries were fully charged.

Now that I've downloaded all the updates and had a little fiddle I have my first big question, which is how do I access my Iomega NAS device?
    Affordable Network Attached Storage, multimedia and external hard drives from Iomega

The Asus Tablet is on Android version 4.0.3

At the moment I have a PC and a Laptop and both have Windows 7 on them. The PC is wired to the Cable/Broadband Router while the Laptop is wireless. Both Windows 7 computers have full access to the NAS device.

I also have an Android phone, Gingerbread, which I have yet to work out how to access the NAS device as well.

I would very much appreciate any help or advice on how I can get my new toy to access my Network Access Storage device.

Cheers

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I'm sure there are other ways of doing this but this is my setup. It kindof assumes that you are only caring about media on the NAS and not just random files.

PS3 Media Server installed on one of the windows machines(one that is on all the time preferred)
    uPnPPlay for the app on your prime(and android phone I assume)

I don't know how your windows machines are accessing the NAS. If it is using Samba(or some sort of windows sharing), I think there are a few Samba clients out there for android. I never got these to work as well as I was hoping and I already had the PS3 media server up and running for other devices on my network.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    5 times
    If you want to access files on the NAS try a better file explorer than the built in File Manager.

ES File Explorer has the ability to access LAN and Net storage, my Synology is setup via the LAN and works great.

Astro is another good file manager and has the ability to connect to LAN devices too.

(both of these are free)

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    8 times
    Bit of a steep learning curve, but I managed to configure ES File Explorer and all is well in the world.

Thank you.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    5 times
    No problem, hope you enjoy the TFP! .... have you registered for the free GPS dongle? (goto vip.asus.com, register your device then apply for the dongle... link down left side of screen).

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks for your help. My next question was going to be how to get the GPS Dongle, so that one is sorted as well.

Cheers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    For what ever reason I cant get any app to allow my tablet to see my NAS ( a WD HD plugged into my netgear router) perhaps iam just not setting up my Astro app right... I do like Astro alot and hope that I can make it work. In short my goal is to be able to see any wireless system on my network (laptop, desktop, NAS) and be able to transfer files around allowing my tablet to run the network in my house. As for Astro just to make sure iam getting it write please help fill in the gaps...
    Label: (is this just what I want this connection called)
    Server: (is this the IP address of my router? or is this the "//readyshare" I see when setting up my router?)
    Share: (No impact, no idea)
    Domain: ("")
    Directory"")
    UserName: (Is this the user name to get into my router? My NAS {i dont recall setting one up}?)
    Password: ("")

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Hi,

Just today I was able to access my NAS (Iomega media cloud edition) with Astro on my TF101.
    Server: IP address of your NAS
    User Name: the one you use to get access to your NAS
    Password: connected to your NAS username

These three were the only ones I entered. Astro found my NAS, but I was disappointed to see that I can't open files (pictures, mp3, avi, or any other) throught Astro. Astro's developers announce this feature to be on their wishlist, but haven't been able to introduce this feature until today.

Iomega have recently developed their app (Iomega link) to access the NAS through remote access, but this - also disappointingly - only allows me to find and copy or move files, but not open, use or stream them directly.

Does anybody know of an app that would allow me to stream music and video from my NAS and open jpg's? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

An interesting thing just appeared to me. Using Iomega Link I can only open file with extension in lower case (.jpg). It says 'no application to open file' with extensions in capitals (.JPG ). :-S
    Last edited by Brossa8; 06-05-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: update

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brossa8 View Post
    Hi,

Just today I was able to access my NAS (Iomega media cloud edition) with Astro on my TF101.
    Server: IP address of your NAS
    User Name: the one you use to get access to your NAS
    Password: connected to your NAS username

These three were the only ones I entered. Astro found my NAS, but I was disappointed to see that I can't open files (pictures, mp3, avi, or any other) throught Astro. Astro's developers announce this feature to be on their wishlist, but haven't been able to introduce this feature until today.

Iomega have recently developed their app (Iomega link) to access the NAS through remote access, but this - also disappointingly - only allows me to find and copy or move files, but not open, use or stream them directly.

Does anybody know of an app that would allow me to stream music and video from my NAS and open jpg's? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

An interesting thing just appeared to me. Using Iomega Link I can only open file with extension in lower case (.jpg). It says 'no application to open file' with extensions in capitals (.JPG ). :-S

Thank you for the help! It worked but like you said.... Not much good it will do anyone bring that you can't do much with the files on your NAS.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Just found a new app "mediahouse" it does not let you move, copy, or delete anything but you can play anything from any media server (tversity on your computer) to anything else your tablet or your xbox for instance.... Kind of a fun little app... Check it out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads