Thread: New Transformer Prime owner...GPS test results

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times

New Transformer Prime owner...GPS test results

First off, I received my Amethyst Grey Transformer Prime yesterday. So far, I'm loving it!

Not really that concerned about GPS, as I have a built in GPS in my car, and my wife has a stand alone GPS which works great. Just doesn't seem that practical to try and use a 10" tablet while navigating in a car.

That being said... with all the chatter about poor GPS, and simply because if it's SUPPOSED to be included, it would be nice to have it, I did download GPS test.

Here's what I got after 30 seconds, indoors.....

I assume this isn't too bad, but I'm not sure how it compares to other people's results.

For anyone considering getting a Transformer Prime, I absolutely LOVE IT! That's only within the first two days, but games such as Shine Runner, Riptide GP and Speedx 3D are simply stunning!

Love the convenience of the built in screen capture!

Hey... it's only been two days. I may find that wifi starts to fail me, or some other problem comes up, but so far, I'm having a blast and really enjoying this machine!

I purchased mine from Best Buy, W. Hollywood, if anyone is interested. Not sure if the fact that my GPS seems to work means that ordering from Best Buy increases your odds of getting one with a good GPS or not (not even sure if my GPS is good/above average/whatever, but it seems to be working)
    leeshor likes this.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Indoor, that's pretty good. I get a 46' accuracy outdoor. But indoor, fantastic.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I'm glad to hear more positive results in regards to the Prime and GPS. It sounds as if ASUS has found a way around the interference issue. Just a FYI
    ShelJW GPS isn't strictly limited to navigational purposes only. It is a major component of location regulating apps as well. In my case..new cities, States,
    Countries all rely on GPS location as a surrounding starting point for unfamiliarity. Mine is unfortunately being repaired for a different reason but would be
    AWESOME if it is returned with working GPS! First things first...it is broken...just want it back working then go from there i suppose. But again good news to
    hear about your performance regardless if interior or exterior conditions. Enjoy your PRIME it gets better with time!!!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sjason73 View Post
    ShelJW GPS isn't strictly limited to navigational purposes only. It is a major component of location regulating apps as well. In my case..new cities, States,
    Countries all rely on GPS location as a surrounding starting point for unfamiliarity. Mine is unfortunately being repaired for a different reason but would be
    AWESOME if it is returned with working GPS! First things first...it is broken...just want it back working then go from there i suppose.
    sjason
    Excellent point!

I read another persons post, which talked about the fact that Google Goggles, theater programs and numerous other programs use GPS for the very reason's you mentioned!

If I'm in an area not around my home, and launch Fandango, or some other movie listing program, it uses (I believe) GPS to show me theaters near my current location! Same with restaurant locating software.

For that matter, I always have a weather widget on my home screen on my cell phone, and love how it changes the location as I'm traveling around. I would assume my cell phone uses the location of cell towers to determine where I currently am located, but the TP doesn't have 3G or 4G, so it would need to use GPS.

That really does make having a working GPS more important.

Hope yours comes back working perfectly!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links