Thread: Is My GPS broken?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times

Is My GPS broken?

There's a lot of talk about GPS problems with the TF201 but when you read the details, they're all different - a long time to get a lock, failing when outside of WiFi range, losing a lock when in motion, etc.

But with my brand-new TF201 running ICS I can't seem to see any satellites AT ALL! I'm not talking about getting a lock or figuring out where it is but just seeing a single, solitary satellite!

I put my phone (Droid Incredible running 2.3) next to my TF201 on my desk and started GPS Status (3.8.1) simultaneously on both. Within seconds the phone had found 8 satellites, the Asus, none. 20 minutes later, still none. I did the same test outside - same result.

I can't rule out a problem with ICS and GPS, or a problem with GPS Status and ICS. Can anyone suggest a test to see if GPS really works before I send this back to Amazon where I bought it?

(yes, GPS is enabled in Location Services)
    (yes, I tried the trick of turning off WiFi)
    Last edited by plnelson; 03-18-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I contacted ASUS with the same problem. They will actually still walk you through a test. You basically go outside and activate GPS locate and if you
    do not lock on in like 2 minutes they tell you that the GPS is actually bad. This is what they told me. Even though it has been removed from spec.
    and all that hoopla they still say that you should at least get a lock after a certain period.
    Next they wanted me to RMA my prime so they could look into it. I read the whole RMA thread and was too nervous to send in my prime
    fearing I will not see it for weeks, maybe a month? Anyways that is my experience up to this point. Yes I believe you should still get a lock. Unless
    maybe they have deactivated the whole GPS option all together? Good Luck. I hope this helps you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times

Angry

I bought this as a development machine - I'm an Android developer for a living and I wanted an ICS tablet to get up to speed on ICS development. So I don't need it for daily use and can happily part with it for weeks. But under the RMA would they return you a working unit? Or would they just say, "sorry - TF201's don't have GPS - see? it says so right here in the spec. So - nothing we can do."

I did my research in 2011 but waited until my birthday in February 2012 to buy it, and GPS was definitely in the spec's when I was researching it. I suppose "caveat emptor" and all that, but you don't normally expect a serious company to subtract a major feature in just a few months. This is my first Asus product and I honestly can't think of a sleazier act by any major company, ever! "We're sorry that product feature doesn't work, but Asus is a creative company and we have a creative solution - we'll just take it out of the feature list. See? Problem solved - there is no GPS so your product works perfectly. Glad we could help!"

Where I work we have a whole fleet of EEEbox PC's and BM-series commercial desktop PC's, by Asus. I have a feeling our next major PC purchase might be from a different company.
    sjason73 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you really use GPS or just complaining because it is a feature that doesn't work?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    12 times
    I have a watch for sale, there is no minute hand BUT the watch is bang on correct twice every day. Interested?

Erm 600.00€ for a top range product and the GPS doesnt work? For that sort of service I can spend 70.00€ on some junk and not have any expectations. I pay top cash I expect top service.

So, can I sell you the watch, lets say 400.00€?
    EX-Asus Prime 201, lasted 3 days.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texstar View Post
    Do you really use GPS or just complaining because it is a feature that doesn't work?
    I'm a software developer and I have apps in the pipeline that use GPS, so yes I need GPS because I'll be writing apps that use it. I didn't buy this tablet for personal use - I bought it as a development target and test platform.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am concerned ! When I purchased my Prime GPS was in the spec so how can ASUS dismiss my current problem with GPS performance. I dare say that if this is actually an official ASUS position and several consumers have been put off by CS with statements that back up this flagrant method to "fix" GPS by deleting it, a threat of lawsuit is in order ! Just the fact that there is a mix of complaints with up to 50% or more stating no issues the market will continue to buy the Prime and ASUS is counting on this. I say BS ! I have been struggling with WIFI blinking in and out even though my iproduct is streaming the HD movie I am watching with no problems at blazing speed! My GPS worked for a short time after trying the squeeze fix! I will be calling ASUS Canada today and report back here afterwards!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    then you should not get into very high end watches like audemars piguet which often have issues keeping time. Or drive nice British cars since they need more service than Toyota's.

This is a little tounge in cheek but I find many high end things do not work as well as mainstream ones, but sometimes I love them anyway (like that new 510 HP xkr at 150mph for example).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I don't think that i have ever posted off ASUS subject. But, first I have been an Automotive Technician for Mercedes Benz for 18 years and high end purchases
    are expected to continually be tip-top. Except jag, triumph etc.. british stuff basically. I provide excellent above 98.6% CSI (customer service index)
    Now obviously were making a purchase in that league? Or are we? What is more costly or forefront technology than ASUS PRIME? Not many if any
    arguably? Correct? I am done complaining about my GPS and questionable wifi but it doesn't deter the fact i expect this off a top of the line product.
    As for keeping time ... buy Rolex. Presidential never misses a second!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    4 times

A GPS fix

I'm an appraiser so I need to have the GPS working. My solution was to purchase a DUAL XGPS150 (its very small and fits on the dashboard). I had to get a "helper app" called Bluetooth GPS which is free to pair the Prime and the DUAL. At home or on the road I can get about 8 to 10 satellites which seems to work well. When I first tried it out I got the navigation part working but the maps were very fuzzy since I didn't have an internet connection. To fix that, I tethered my Droid Razr to the Prime and got a solid 4G connection; nice clear maps and good navigation. Earlier I had talked to Verizon about tethering and they said I couldn't do it unless I went through them for $30/month. The tethering seems to work well and as far as I know, Verizon isn't aware of it. If you look at the photo, you can see that my WiFi is turned off and Bluetooth is turned on. Not a very elegant solution, but it does seem to work. I'm kind of new to all this, so if you know of a better way to make this work, I'm all ears!

tfp 201.jpg

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links