Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1048 times
    Google account sign in with me also.
    Found in about 9 seconds, I'm easy to find.
    ...odd, since I'm usually looking for something.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Short answer is it works if you use a Google account and doesn't work if you don't.

I tried many times using just the Asus account and got the "Command Failed" response every time. Tried with my Google address (after reading this thread) and it worked straight away.

Incidentally, I tried the Asus support but they replied:-
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Asus Technical Support Team.

As this is third party software we are not able to help you with your problem.
    Iím very sorry for the inconvience.
    Not impressed!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

My experience

Quote Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
    Short answer is it works if you use a Google account and doesn't work if you don't.

I tried many times using just the Asus account and got the "Command Failed" response every time. Tried with my Google address (after reading this thread) and it worked straight away.

Incidentally, I tried the Asus support but they replied:-

Not impressed!
    My TF201 was stolen. At first I didn't realize that it was gone because our house was being renovated. 3 month later, when I eventually realized it was gone,I decided to check the google play store and sure enough, there had been activity on the device (some apps had been installed.. e.g. yahoo mail, messenger). I panicked and the first thing I did was go into google and deactivate my TF201's password (I have 2 factor authentication). BIG MISTAKE.... In hindsight I wish I hadn't disabled my google password immediately because I effectively eliminated any way of tracking the device....aaargggg noooooo! but I was so upset that someone had been using my device with my google details and could have been reading my emails etc.. (In case it helps anyone else, if your device has been recently stolen, go to your gmail and in the bottom right you will see a link that says last account activity. it will open a popup window that shows the IP addresses of all recent activity relating to your gmail account. It only keeps a few days of activity though)

So, back to my ordeal. So I found this Asus waveshare site and tried it out. I got the same as most people on this forum... long delay and then "COMMAND FAILED". I am using my gmail address and it let's me login ok, but I am not sure if it will work given that I deactivated the application specific password for that device.

So I phone ASUS support and they were utterly useless. They firstly didn't even acknowledge the existence of their own website (waveshare). then they told me they don't advise people to use it. Then they said I must go get a police report for them to track it. So I spent $50 and 3 hours getting a police report and then they tell me that they have logged my serial number in the system and as soon as someone calls tech support with that serial number they will flag it.. UHH WHAT!??! seriously so their method of tracking is waiting for the thief to have a problem with the device and call tech support! I was annoyed.

So here I sit, trying waveshare every day in the faint hope that one day it will work......

Any help will be greatly appreciated

oh, 1 more thing.. I managed to find out the Mac address of my device.. I then went to my university and they checked their LAN, but no luck.
    Does anyone else have any ideas of how I might be able to use the mac address to track it. Another wacky idea I had was to setup my router with a long range antenae and 'wardrive' around hoping that one day I will pass within range of my TF201 (which would have to be on at the time) and it will try to connect to my router? (but it wouldn't if it was already connected to another wifi, or if the person told my tf201 to forget all the hotspots. I had a bunch of preprogrammed hotpots memorized in my TF201, maybe I could approach those companies (e.g. starbucks) and see if they would be willing to check their server logs for my mac address (assuming that they even track mac addresss logins)

I know they above sounds desperate, but what is a person to do

DP

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by danielp View Post
    My TF201 was stolen. At first I didn't realize that it was gone because our house was being renovated. 3 month later, when I eventually realized it was gone,I decided to check the google play store and sure enough, there had been activity on the device (some apps had been installed.. e.g. yahoo mail, messenger). I panicked and the first thing I did was go into google and deactivate my TF201's password (I have 2 factor authentication). BIG MISTAKE.... In hindsight I wish I hadn't disabled my google password immediately because I effectively eliminated any way of tracking the device....aaargggg noooooo! but I was so upset that someone had been using my device with my google details and could have been reading my emails etc.. (In case it helps anyone else, if your device has been recently stolen, go to your gmail and in the bottom right you will see a link that says last account activity. it will open a popup window that shows the IP addresses of all recent activity relating to your gmail account. It only keeps a few days of activity though)

So, back to my ordeal. So I found this Asus waveshare site and tried it out. I got the same as most people on this forum... long delay and then "COMMAND FAILED". I am using my gmail address and it let's me login ok, but I am not sure if it will work given that I deactivated the application specific password for that device.

So I phone ASUS support and they were utterly useless. They firstly didn't even acknowledge the existence of their own website (waveshare). then they told me they don't advise people to use it. Then they said I must go get a police report for them to track it. So I spent $50 and 3 hours getting a police report and then they tell me that they have logged my serial number in the system and as soon as someone calls tech support with that serial number they will flag it.. UHH WHAT!??! seriously so their method of tracking is waiting for the thief to have a problem with the device and call tech support! I was annoyed.

So here I sit, trying waveshare every day in the faint hope that one day it will work......

Any help will be greatly appreciated

oh, 1 more thing.. I managed to find out the Mac address of my device.. I then went to my university and they checked their LAN, but no luck.
    Does anyone else have any ideas of how I might be able to use the mac address to track it. Another wacky idea I had was to setup my router with a long range antenae and 'wardrive' around hoping that one day I will pass within range of my TF201 (which would have to be on at the time) and it will try to connect to my router? (but it wouldn't if it was already connected to another wifi, or if the person told my tf201 to forget all the hotspots. I had a bunch of preprogrammed hotpots memorized in my TF201, maybe I could approach those companies (e.g. starbucks) and see if they would be willing to check their server logs for my mac address (assuming that they even track mac addresss logins)

I know they above sounds desperate, but what is a person to do

DP
    I'm currently in the same boat. My Infinity tablet was stolen at a restaurant in NYC last Friday night and Asus said verbatim pretty much what you said, after I got them the serial number, proof of purchase and police report...so lame and worthless. Device tracker keeps saying "command failed", even when I sign in with gmail credentials. I'm assuming waveshare website is the same thing as Device Tracker. Let me know if you find your device or have any luck using Device Tracker.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm having the same issue with the device tracker for my TF101 with the ICS(4.03) upgrade, has anyone out there had any luck?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Ads