Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times

What's the REAL advantage of running Prime with ICS?

Does TF201 REALLY works a lot better with ICS than when it is running with Gingerbread <insert>and/or Honeycomb</insert> or is it simply a lot of GUI improvement over Gingerbread <insert>and/or Honeycomb</insert>?

I am asking the question from a place of really not knowing. I own a TF101 and am considering TF201 (I am not much into playing games with my pad, though) . I am not sure about the ICS update hoopla going on right now.

I welcome replies from anyone with any information to share.

Thanks... :-)

>>From my TF101 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by towers1209; 02-19-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    What hoopla? I barely noticed a difference upgrading. Its nice to get folders for the desktop though.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    17 times
    the GUI isn't much different than Asus hc, that is compared to under the hood differences which are quite substantial. Multitasking stability and GUI speed are most notable, yuou do lose ad hoc.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No difference, really. Just wait for ICS on TF101

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    You could google "android improvements in 4.0" for links on ICS features.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    i think you misunderstand what the ics update is all about.... which is cool

yes the ics provides better data usage management, android beam feature, faceunlock, etc etc

but from somebody who owned a gingerbread and ics phone, with a honeycomb & ics tablet

i can tell you.. the number one complaint for android tablets is that android tablets doesn't have a lot of apps in the market

so how does google resolve this?? they can't convert gingerbread apps for phones into honeycomb apps for tablets.. and we already tried reversing that and using gingerbread apps on honeycomb and it was disgusting

so what can we(we as google) do?? SIMPLE.. update gingerbread apps to ics.. which requires updating phones and tablets to ics.. see the magic there? imagine the perfect world where every android device ran ics, no one.. whether you're an developer or consumer would have to worry like hmmm is this app compatible with a phone with a 4in screen or a tablet with 10in or a hybrid device with a 5 or 6in screen... ics was created to bridge the gaps between phones and tablets, not just make quadcore/dualcore devices faster then quadcore/duacore devices on honeycomb/gingerbread

like i said in your other thread, try tetris or datpiffmobile (which are gingerbread apps) on ANY tablet not including the original galaxy tab of course because it runs gingerbread and you'll see why you too would root for less fragmentation in the android market

here my friend http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...put-an-end.php

Last edited by ghettoyungin718; 02-19-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: included article
    Proud Owner of a Gamestop Transformer Prime 32GB Owner w/ Video Game Controller & Dock (awaiting Jellybean & Asus Transformer 301)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus Owner

"The internet isn't real, so why judge a book by it's title?"

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by towers1209 View Post
    Does TF201 REALLY works a lot better with ICS than when it is running with Gingerbread/Honeycomb or is it simply a lot of GUI improvement over Gingerbread/Honeycomb?

I am asking the question from a place of really not knowing. I own a TF101 and am considering TF201 (I am not much into playing games with my pad) . I am not sure about the ICS update hoopla going on right now.

I welcome replies from anyone with any information to share.

Thanks... :-)

>>From my TF101 using Tapatalk

>>From my TF101 using Tapatalk<<
    Sent from an electric brain (電腦) powered by one of the following OS:
    [1] Android ICS (Asus TF101, B60), (sometimes crappy) w Nvidia Tegra 2,
    [2] Win 7 (Asus 1215N), (rarely crappy) w Intel Atom, NexGen NVidia Ion,
    [3] WinXP (Acer AspireOne), (sometimes crappy) w Intel Atom
    ...But, I love them all anyway...

>>>WISHLIST: [1] TF700T, [2] TAICHI, [3] Mac Book Pro or Air (???) or Retina (???)<<<

=====( 11:11 )
    "Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar..."
    [Traveller, there is no path, you create the path as you move forward...]
    >Antonio Machado (1875-1939)<

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Looks great on paper but actually getting everyone updated will never work. The system is much to fragmented. You could initiate something "moving forward" but no one is, are they? You have new devices hitting the market running 3. whatever and new apps optimized for honeycomb and not ICS.
    Its one of the reasons that I am sometimes attracted to apple tablets and phones.....I don't own Apple Tablets and phones but the ability to download and use something without compatibility issues is attractive...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoyungin718 View Post
    i think you misunderstand what the ics update is all about.... which is cool

yes the ics provides better data usage management, android beam feature, faceunlock, etc etc

but from somebody who owned a gingerbread and ics phone, with a honeycomb & ics tablet

i can tell you.. the number one complaint for android tablets is that android tablets doesn't have a lot of apps in the market

so how does google resolve this?? they can't convert gingerbread apps for phones into honeycomb apps for tablets.. and we already tried reversing that and using gingerbread apps on honeycomb and it was disgusting

so what can we(we as google) do?? SIMPLE.. update gingerbread apps to ics.. which requires updating phones and tablets to ics.. see the magic there? imagine the perfect world where every android device ran ics, no one.. whether you're an developer or consumer would have to worry like hmmm is this app compatible with a phone with a 4in screen or a tablet with 10in or a hybrid device with a 5 or 6in screen... ics was created to bridge the gaps between phones and tablets, not just make quadcore/dualcore devices faster then quadcore/duacore devices on honeycomb/gingerbread

like i said in your other thread, try tetris or datpiffmobile (which are gingerbread apps) on ANY tablet not including the original galaxy tab of course because it runs gingerbread and you'll see why you too would root for less fragmentation in the android market

here my friend Google Prepping to Put An End to Android Fragmentation

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    well it's something we'd have to give google/android time to address

apple had a few bumps when they first started as well, not to mention they had a headstart

of course every device will never run 4.0 or higher let alone 2.3 or higher

but that's manufacturing companies fault for trying to market low end smartphones with crappy specs for sales

we have new htc and samsung tabs debuting with 4.0 next month along with 4.0 phones and phones/tablets being upgraded to 4.0 later this year

i'd have to disagree with the idea of nobody's moving forward
    Proud Owner of a Gamestop Transformer Prime 32GB Owner w/ Video Game Controller & Dock (awaiting Jellybean & Asus Transformer 301)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus Owner

"The internet isn't real, so why judge a book by it's title?"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links