Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Asus transformer prime broken glass, what should i do

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That really sucks, i hope they will cover it for you. I purchased insurance on mine when i bought it. It covers everything even if i drop it on the floor & it breaks, they will cover it. You may want to insure it if they replace the broken ons with a new one. Lot' s of luck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think you will be lucky and they will replace it for free. They need good PR now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yikes, I just noticed that piece bending on my tablet today.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    In all honesty if I were on the receiving end of a return I would tell you tough sheet. The bezel is bent to hell and back and not a straight bend, its been tweaked with some tool or another.

Best advice I saw here was to try a claim on your homeowners/renters insurance.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Bummer, gorilla glass is extremely 'hard' which makes it near scratch proof. The only things that seem to be harder (will scratch it) are rocks/sand and diamond. Its also very flexible considering how hard it is, however it does not seem to have a high fracture strength (impact resistance) nor can it bend too much which seems to be what happened in your case. Its still the best glass out there. Personally, at least for my phone, I wouldn't mind having a soft screen that scratches easy since I just put a screen protector on it anyways. That way I wouldn't ever have to worry about dropping my phone(higher fracture strength). But I'm glad the tablet has the g glass because I don't want to use a protector on this thing. The screen looks to nice, and its not like I'm putting the tablet in my pocket.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yup, thats why I was like gorilla glass wtf?. But im hopin they will cover this, if they dont how much do yall think they will charge for a repair for somethin like this?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    5 times
    That's a nasty break and bend! >_<

I'm confused about how this happened... you said in the initial post that the aluminum was bent downward when you received the Prime, and that when you plugged the power cable in the last time, it then bent up and broke the glass.

But later you said (I think) that the part was bent up like that when you received the unit.

Not sure what we're looking at here.

Gotta be honest, if I was looking at this from the warranty end of it, it has the look of someone trying to open the tablet, prying up on the glass with some tool. The little aluminum cross-piece even has a downward 'dent' in the middle of it which would be consistent with someone using a hard tool to try to pry open the tablet at that point (prying up on the glass, down on the aluminum), and then the upward bend looks like something maybe done after the fact.

Obviously no one but the OP knows what happened here, but playing devil's advocate, as some in Asus's service dept' I'd have a tough time seeing this covered by warranty.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    Kept looking at the picture and I stand by what I said earlier.
    It's dented and the glass is shatterd, no one at Asus is going to grant warranty on this.
    If it were only a minor force bend, the glass would probably be able to crack from that point. But the glass is not only cracked, it's totally shattered at the bottom. And that indicates contact with a foreign object. Like it fell on the edge of a table or something like that. Also the dent in the bezzel points in that direction.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nykingyn View Post
    Hello, my ATP isnt even 2 weeks old. when i received the item it had a bend downwards above the power connector port and it made pluggin in the power cable a little difficult but thought it was normal and that it was to keep the cable secure inside the port. i wasnt worried about this and saw it as a little issue until yesterday that i went to plug in my power cable and the bent part shifted upwards and cracked my screen from underneath and now its shattered with the pieces of glass forming a "bump" upwards and coming off. i was shocked as all could be because of the screen shattering from a tiny push of the body of the prime and because its gorilla glass which is suppose to be very durable, but apparently it isnt. so i called asus and they gave me an RMA so someone could "check it out" but i feel that they arent going to cover this. if they dont will they offer to repair it? and if so for how much do you think? because its only the glass thats shattered not the lcd screen itself. i have a feeling they are going to be charging a ridiculous amount of money. if so does anyone know of a site that sells just the digitizer itself? because i cannot find any. so can someone please help me out and hopefully answer some of these quiestions. thanks

here is a picture of the heartbreaking damage.

Attachment 2373
    The guy that Asus claimed damaged his Prime (he had sent it for a WiFi or similar issue) got into a whole thing with support, who would only supply 2 low res shots and would not accommodate his request to show the serial number or box. He won out when Asus gave in and sent him a new replacement Prime. The reason I mention it is the cost. They were asking him to pay something like $250, but be aware that the pictures shows a DESTROYED Prime, with the glass and entire casing beat beyond repair. Hopefully that will give you SOME idea of what number they are liekly to throw at you. If I had to guess, I would estimate say $175 or so... Sucks, big time, but is probably worth it, since you know its $500 t replace it outright (assuming you have a 32 Gb model)

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Gorilla Glass gets way more credit than it truly deserves. True it is quite scratch resistant, and seems to be reasonably resistant to breakage from bending or twisting, but I often wonder if there are quality differences with this corning product. I have seen quite a few screen break stories on the Prime (more than any other tablet anyway) and a fair about of "mystery" scratching, by which I mean that the user has no recollection of any trauma to the glass, or impacts, but ends up with a scratch here and there. If any company would end up with a "defective" batch of Corning Gorilla Glass, it would just HAVE to be Asus, LOL! Not in this case though. Obviously SOME type of User Inflicted Damage. I hope they guy gets a break of repair cost though. It must be hard to see a Prime in that shape.

I always enjoy the post by totally pissed off guy who put a phone in their BACK POCKET, proceded to sit on it, and then bitch and moan about product quality issues. I usually post a reply with something like: "Dude, it's GLASS! hardened, or not, if you insist upon sitting on it, go ahead and make a bloody ass of yourself"

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links