Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Asus transformer prime broken glass, what should i do

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i got a ?

wont they cover software problems like bricking because my prime fell off the bed and cracked!!!! and i have carpet! either way i was thinking of doing an update and stopping halfway by turning it off so my prime will be ****ed wont they cover it if its bricked if so sorry buddy but your getting a software lobotomy! anybody know if they cover it if the software is screwed tho

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Do you have insurance? Maybe house insurance or gadget insurance would cover it

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    If anything, reading through this thread gave me a wowser feeling.

People have completely impractical expectations about gorilla glass. It's still glass! It's about 20-25% stronger than regular glass, but it's still glass! It's not diamond. It's not some magical anti-dropped, anti-pressured, anti-abused transparent thing. It's scratch resistant compared to regular glass.

Looking at the picture of the OP, my money would be on a drop and contact at a corner of something. That's how I would interpret that picture.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah im 15 and saved tor this thing so no homeowners insurance but do you think the dock could be causing these incidents as it can flex against the screen and if they try going diff ways well... crack because i had my dock on when mine cracked and like i said fell from bed to carpet thats like 2ft
    Last edited by Stick287; 06-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    It still may be covered by your parent's home owner's insurance.
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    16 times
    If you havent had it too long, you may still be able to purchase a warranty from Squaretrade.com. Get the warranty (making sure you select accidental damage), fax then your receipt for the Prime, wait 2 months. Make a claim. Within 2 days of making the claim you will have your full purchase price (500$) back.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll quickly summarize the situation I am in with my Prime and its cracked screen. I use my Prime docked 99% of the time for both protection and as a preferred manner to interact with the device. Over night while charging, a hairline cracked developed across the top-right of the screen. My Prime has never been dropped, sat on, or had exerted upon it "accidental forces" of any manner. Any stresses on the device have been through regular use.

The crack starts between the camera and the top-right corner of the bezel, coincidentally the same area that I open the Prime from when it is docked as I am right-handed. As anyone can attest to, the hinge on the dock is quite tight and requires a decent amount of force to open, made easy by the leverage provided through the tablet when it is docked. I cannot help but conclude that this crack is due to repeated stress from opening and closing the Prime throughout use over time.

Since the crack appeared, a second hairline crack has reared its ugly head, this time extending itself across the screen towards the bottom-left. This crack connects to the first crack at the same point of origin, between the camera and the top-right corner of the bezel. Again, this happened over night, and evidence leads to the conclusion of unintended stresses upon the glass through repeated opening and closing that design could not account for.

I contacted my retailer (Future Shop, a Canadian branch of Best Buy), and they refused to offer the option of a return as the 14-day return period has long since passed (6 months ago). I have since contacted Asus in regards to the support they will provide me with this issue, either through a repair through warranty, or a full refund of my purchase price. If my exchange of emails does not go in favour of what I am seeking, as I expect it won't, I plan to phone customer support when I get back to North America and get a hold of a service manager.

I will be sure to keep you guys updated with how Asus deals with this situation, so anyone else who has had a similar issue (I know there are more than a few of you out there) can know what to expect should they seek warranty repairs or a refund for their Prime.

In retrospect, not a quick summary at all.
    Last edited by Wallzii; 06-17-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Eureka! I figured something out.

Its always been a habit of mine to open and close thing evenly. Yeah, I open my docked prime with my right hand but I always open at center. After all, it should be common sense to everyone to treat their devices with the proper respect, right?
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Eureka! I figured something out.

Its always been a habit of mine to open and close thing evenly. Yeah, I open my docked prime with my right hand but I always open at center. After all, it should be common sense to everyone to treat their devices with the proper respect, right?
    I treat all of my property with care and respect. Opening my Prime from the top with a 3cm bias towards the right is not abusive or using the device in a manner not intended by design. When cracks develop because of something like this, it is either due to faulty manufacturing in an isolated incident, or poor product design.

As much as I love my Prime, after paying $650 for it and the dock, I'm not going to accept this not being covered by warranty and shovel out another few hundred dollars to get it repaired. Asus needs to fix this at their cost. Your sarcasm is both unnecessary and unwelcome.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallzii View Post
    I treat all of my property with care and respect. Opening my Prime from the top with a 3cm bias towards the right is not abusive or using the device in a manner not intended by design. When cracks develop because of something like this, it is either due to faulty manufacturing in an isolated incident, or poor product design.

As much as I love my Prime, after paying $650 for it and the dock, I'm not going to accept this not being covered by warranty and shovel out another few hundred dollars to get it repaired. Asus needs to fix this at their cost. Your sarcasm is both unnecessary and unwelcome.
    Actually, it wasn't meant as sarcasm. I agree with you, actually.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links