Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Did you get the Transformer Prime BECAUSE of the keyboard dock ??

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    9 times

Did you get the Transformer Prime BECAUSE of the keyboard dock ??

Up until a year ago I considered Tablets more or less as just a too expensive gadget that you could not really use for any serious work. Of course, the number of apps available keeps growing all the time, but most of them or not that serious or are not something that you will use in your work and/or private life all the time.

They reminded me of the PDA-hype of about 10 years ago when just about everyone who wanted to look like somebody had a PDA, furiously (and slowly) spelling words letter by letter. All those guys practically ALWAYS had a laptop as well for the real work. NOBODY seem to ever do anything serious on those PDA's except editing their agend and make three sentence notes.

Me, at that time, was happily using either the Psion 5MX or Psion Netbook which were small enough to take (literally) EVERYWHERE and was doing ALL my things on those little machines. Main reason? The built in keyboard that allowed me to create documents and spreadsheet, print using a infrared IrPort and send/receive email using the Psion in combination with my cellphone. And actually, up until last year, the Psion 5MX still goes with me on holidays. Hop in two new AA-batteries and I was good for keeping track of expenses and making notes for two weeks.

Then, last year, I bought the Transformer for my girlfriends birthday. Started to play with it and then realised that, with the keyboard dock, I had a very small instant access tablet AND netbook in one, working a whole day or more without worries that could actually replacing the 9" netbook I have been now using for four years.

So, when the Prime came out, I bought it WITH THE KEYBOARD and have not taken the netbook with me to work anymore. Am still learing the Prime and am still not 100% compatible yet, but I am slowly getting there.

For my, definately, the keyboard dock was THE reason I bought this tables. If it has just been another Galaxy look-a-like, I simply wouldn't have bothered.

So, I'm wondering, did you get the Prime+dock BECAUSE of the keyboard or is it that just an added feature but not the main reason for getting it ???

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    For me, it was because of the dock. It has replaced my various paper pads at work and one of my entertainment devices at home (next to my xbox 360 of course). I only turn my laptop on when I need to stream something from it to my tablet

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    I think it's safe to say I bought mine because of the dock. I had the original Transformer and dock and loved it. I heard about the upcoming Prime just before my return period was up on the original so I took it back and waited for the Prime. I love being able to choose how I use it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the TF101, but the dock was the reason for me. Tablets were always in the want rather than need category, but I wanted something rather lighter and easier to carry than my laptop for all my work trips. I'd even been looking at netbooks over the last year or two, but always felt them too expensive for what they were. I could see the point of a tablet as a media consumption device, but I needed more than that, I needed to be able to type emails a lot, and on screen keyboards irritate me beyond all measure after a little while.

So when I saw the TF, it all kind of fitted together.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times
    Yes me too, the dock was and still my first preference. I have now two options (tablet+netbook) in the same time instead of only tablet, I believe it is awesome idea from Asus. Now, I see Lenovo adopt the idea in their new line of Ideapad that will be available in C2 this year. Asus Prime is simply "Real Steel" ....

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    903 times
    I'm definitely in compliance with the sentiments expressed heretofore, I got my TF101 because of the dock. I was in the market for a tablet, so why not get the best of both worlds...and the best tablet available...to boot!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I ended up getting a TF101 late last year (with the issues that Asus is having with the TF201 I am glad I did). I wanted an Android tablet to compare to my IPad as well as to see how closely I could come in replacing my use of a notebook when on the road and in meetings. For this reason I also purchased the keyboard dock with my TF101. I have gotten acustom to using both USB ports on the dock most of the time. Mostly a USB mouse in one port and some type of external memory in the second port. I have had no issues with the unit. I have been able to duplicate my requirements for my notebook for other than working with two or more open spreadsheets which I do some of the time. The TF101 will connect to my network hard drive as well as the cloud storage on DropBox where I keep most of my heavy used word, excel or PDF documents. It makes a great movie watching device due to the size of the screen. The only thing I enjoy doing more with my IPad would be reading ebooks due to the IPads screen size.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlarson_mn View Post
    The only thing I enjoy doing more with my IPad would be reading ebooks due to the IPads screen size.
    Can't abide that on any tablet. Got an entry model Kindle for that!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    I have had many tablets. The features of tablet with the keyboard made the TF101 my first choice. Then I got the Prime and I impatiently had to wait a few days for the keyboard dock. I use it daily at work and at home. It has almost completely replaced my laptop.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, I got it because of the keyboard dock. Several times a year, I have to travel to a board meeting. I have always had to take a laptop with me to take notes with at these meetings. My work laptop weighs about 9 lbs and my personal laptop weighs about 5.5 pounds. I have a bad shoulder and lifting a computer rolling bag into the overhead bin is a real pain! A co-worker got an ipad and was showing me how she used it to keep all of the documents she needed to have with her at hand without having to carry a real loose leaf binder with her all of the time (she's our meeting planner). So I seriously started looking at tablets. I first saw the TF 101 and almost bought it, but while doing research I saw that asus was coming out with the Transformer Prime, so as soon as I saw it on Amazon for pre-order, I ordered both the tablet and the dock. I got the tablet on Jan. 3 and the dock on Jan 31. So far, I'm very happy with both, no issues to speak of. Just have to get better at typing on this smaller keyboard.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links