Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Different size 32GB primes WTH!? Did ASUS rip you off for nearly 1GB?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    BC, 26.89, BB on 1-27

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    32GB grey BCOKAS showing 27.67 also. No drive ever shows its advertised capacity, ever.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    32GB grey BCOKAS showing 27.67 also. No drive ever shows its advertised capacity, ever.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201
    True, but you would think multiple runs of the same device would have the same formatted size.
    Transformer Prime TF201-B1-CG

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    27. 67GB Total

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    My wifes wifi card in prime blew up last night. went to connect to ap and poof reboot, than stuck on turning on wifi. Return, it was a bc 27.67 got back C0 26.89, and the one i bought originally a C0 got no gps ANYWHERE. returned for BC got 27.88, also noticed even though i am getting these at best buy and two from frys, one from best buy and one from frys had riptide demo pre loaded others did not. Wth asus? Lol

All in all, I've bought 7 Primes from 7 different cities, 2 26.89, 1 27.88, 4 27.67. 3 C0 / 4 BC. This madness started Jan 21 happen to be in the Bay area, UCSF Childrens Hospital, there is about 15 sites within 40 miles to find primes, haven't had Problem yet, get them the same day i want them, but the supply is scarce, add to the fun like a treasure hunt lol
    TF Prime 32 Gb Grey & Champagne
    iPad 2 64Gb WiFi
    iPad 32 Gb 3g
    Galaxy Nexus
    Logitech Google TV

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Im showing 27.88 GB of total space.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I can't bring myself to be concerned about the loss of ~1GB when my 32GB Prime/Dock combo can be increased to ~225GB.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samg77 View Post
    Are the three different sizes I've seen reported. 27.67 being the most common. You know I'd really love to talk to a class action lawyer these issues are stacking up. I'd love to see a complete recall to fix my beloved Primes. Don't get me wrong. I've probably been buying ASUS longer than anyone on these forums. I have put nothing but ASUS motherboards in my computers since 1992 and I love their products and love my prime. All I want is to get what I paid for. I am not mad at asus, stuff happens that's out of their hands and I'm sure they didn't intend to do this. I would however like them to step up to the plate and fix these issues. All 3 of my primes can't go 15 feet without going from 25mbps down to about 4....forget about GPS working...and now to have as much as 1gb of missing storage, really bums me out. I don't want a different tablet....sigh...bare minimum I'd like to see wifi fixed..I can't even plug a USB wifi single into the dock.

Thinking class action in afraid may be the only option.. but to be honest. I will just buy a TF700 that has the improved wifi, and give my prime to a relative sigh....
    27.88 here, BCOKAS, GPS has never once been able to get a lock, WIFI works fine. 2nd unit from Best Buy (first had multiple display issues).

I can absolutely see a class action lawsuit here due to ASUS removing GPS from the specs. I had a similar experience with Logitech. I bought a Harmony 1000 for our home theater, which uses Zwave for remote controlled lighting. Well it turns out the Zwave hardware in the 1000 was weak at best and Logitech decided to remove the Zwave capabilities from existing devices via a firmware update. Since the box clearly listed Zwave support, a class action lawsuit ensued. In the end I was given a FREE Harmony 890 because it does have Zwave support. Seems ASUS is in a very similar situation with the prime, so I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a similar lawsuit with a similar result.
    TF201 GR + Dock
    Galaxy Nexus

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    393 times
    People, Take Note:

Drive Capacity is calculated in two different ways. (I`ll keep it simple but not entirely accurate to save going all the way down to bits and bytes)

1.) Computers are digital so they calculate drive space in Binary 1024MB = 1GB

2.) Manufacturers generally advertise drive capacity in Decimal 1000MB = 1GB

You see from the above, that because manufacturers are advertising in Decimal, 1GB is 24MB short of 1GB for the Binary system, meaning now the computer has to find that extra 24MB for each 1GB it calculates.

It also has to do this further down the calculations before it even gets to Megabytes, so when you take that missing 24 from the end of every calculation, you see why advertised capacity = more than calculated on the device.

You are not losing any disk space, you didn't have it to begin with, what is happening is manufacturers are not advertising binary capacity, if computers used the decimal system, you would have your full 32GB's - Manufacturers need to stop using decimal now drives are so big you notice the difference easily.

Last edited by Detection; 02-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Detection View Post
    You are not losing any disk space, you didn't have it to begin with, what is happening is manufacturers are not advertising binary capacity, if computers used the decimal system, you would have your full 32GB's - Manufacturers need to stop using decimal now drives are so big you notice the difference easily.
    This isn't related to the advertised space but what the android operating system is reporting. It appears that different batches of primes used different storage chips. I don't think anyone on this thread is complaining that the reported space isn't exactly 32GiB.
    TF201 GR + Dock
    Galaxy Nexus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ads