Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is that really a possible fix for WiFi/GPS problem in Asus TF201?!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The squeeze fix didn't work for me, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right, or pressing hard enough. My wifi works fine but GPS gets 1-3 sats even outside, and never gets a lock.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So, I left GPS Test running for 4-5 hours at the office today, with the only results being the same as usual (1-2 sats at best with no lock). I gave up, packed up my tablet, and left it alone for the afternoon. This evening I tried it out again in my dining room, and boom! 7-17 sats (inside!) with a lock within 30 feet. I hope it is a permanent thing; maybe there's some sort of burn-in process on some devices? Glad I may not need to consider a return, if it lasts.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thenits View Post
    I entered this into the XDA forums - GPS Antenna Contacts. Apologies for cross posting for those that read the XDA as well.

Exactly the same result for me...approximately 2.5 - 3 inches in from the left hand side (power button side) and wholla...instant fix and outside an increase from struggling to 15 in view and a solid lock on 9 satellites. I had a look at the teardown and to me it looks like the opposite side to where the GPS antenna is (could be wrong) mmmnnn...anyhow looks like we may have zoned in a little. I also noticed a little click when I applied some pressure. Serial # - BCOKAS******

From what I can gather from the teardown photos (Thanks AnandTech) - the WIFI (Azureware) and GPS (Broadcom) chipsets are located next to each other on the right hand side of the main pcb. They ARE therefore adjacent and on the SAME side of the main WIFI and GPS antennae. The white WIFI rf cable on the chipset side connects to the black rf cable on the trackside of the pcb (via a pcb track) to feed the AUX WIFI antenna. From what I can see, the GPS IC feeds the GPS antenna via a pcb track and via the pogopin that is located on the other side of the pcb. There are rf cable connectors (U.FL. 9connector - photo attached) on the track side of the pcb (U7905 for the GPS and U7907 for WIFI). ASUS decided to use pogopins rather than these to hardwire to the antennae.

A U.FL connector and flylead cable (UFL to SMA Flylead cable - http://www.m2mconnectivity.com.au/m2...-flylead-cable) and an attached GPS antenna would certainly elliminate the backplate and other possible interference issues...for a bench test anyhow. You could also buy a WIFI antenna with U. FL connnector (for iPAD - http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/3903...d=311056065214) and connect to test WIFI...drill a hole and stick it on the outside if you wish.

Since the GPS chipset and antenna are on the right hand side of the camera I have no idea why placing pressure on the spot identified on the left hand side affects GPS performance.... but it definitiely does for some. Any ideas?
    I have to thank you for that tip. I did it for 2 inches and got a dramatic improvement. My only complaint was GPS and now works. got locks inside close to the widows, but once locked i could go inside and the satellites kept showing. Thanks again. I had tried before with no improvement.

Edit: The GPS improvement was temporary, now I am able to get locks outside of my house only.
    Last edited by lopezco; 03-04-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    A Very Happy Owner of a
    TFP201, 32GB CHAMPAGNE With Dock.
    From Santiago, Dominican Republic

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry for double post, but as I solved my problem, I guess something like this should be sticked, a precise orientation how to squeeze and where to. Just a suggestion.
    A Very Happy Owner of a

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree, with all this seemingly nonsense talk about the aluminum backplate causing issues, it seems this is the real root of the problem - and this squeeze fix seems to work for at least half the people who try it.
    lopezco likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quartercirclebak View Post
    Anyone have any input on what a "normal" reading in dB would be for a wireless signal at a certain distance? I don't really have any other devices to compare my Prime to at the moment.

Putting the Prime right next to my router (Netgear WNDR3400), practically touching the antennas, i can get it up to about -25, -30 dB.

Sitting on my couch about 7 ft away from my router , the signal seems to fluctuate between around -50 to -40, sometimes dipping as low as -60. Speed Test gives me 26 down, 8 up.

In my bedroom, around 35 feet away and through a bunch of walls (direct line of sight is going through lots of corners, I guess those count as two walls a piece :/ Let's say 6 walls...) it hovers between -70 and -80, with speeds of 2 down and 1 up. Not ideal considering I use this mainly to stream stuff to my bedroom.

Are these results typical, do you think, or do I have a bum unit? Squeezing seems to sometimes help, other times not so much. If it's not a bum unit, what would you guys recommend to get my speeds up? A repeater seems silly for a medium-sized apartment, but I guess I might have to go for it...
    I have the exact same problem I am still have the return window open so I 'm seriously considering returning it. The squeeze fix unfortunately didn't change anything. On similar scenarios, for comparison sake, my nexus s has almost the same signal (and sometimes lower) but much better speed.
    Last edited by pat_11; 03-01-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can someone post a pic of where exactly to squeeze, I have a feeling I'm not squeezing in the right spots -_- i didn't hear any clicks

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zubba View Post
    Ok, that's different than what some are reporting, which is that the improvement is temporary. The temporary situation makes more sense to me, mechanically I think.
    Yes mine was also temporary, I can get GPS locks but only outside of my house. Did not try to get it working again. Wifi keeps working smooth though
    A Very Happy Owner of a

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there any actual real fix to this? Such as taking tablet apart and doing it? The only real problem I see here is possible warranty void even on 3rd party

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There is no fix apparantly. In the UK ASUS are offering the consumer the right to return the unit under their statutory rights. What a shame I was so interested in the unit and now feel that I dont want to order one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Ads