Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Lightbulb Battery management when not in use

Hey!

I know that it's never a good idea to leave full or empty batteries just stay without use for too long. I don't use TF201 every day and I have it shut down when I don't use it, I am wondering how the battery should be managed and if any of you have any experiences with maintaining your previous devices, like TF101 or others, in similar conditions.

I charge the device after use and then it stays that way a day or two without use due to me not having lectures or enough time off work to play with it. When I do play with it, I don't use more than 20% of battery life and then I dock it with keyboard again (which charges it again even if it is turned off, which is really nice).

Are there any bad side effects of having the device powered off and not used for a day or two? Or letting the keyboard charge the device while it is powered off? Or leaving it in charged state for a few days?

Since I cannot change the battery on TF201, I am super OCD about the battery situation to make sure it works properly throughout the ~2 years I'll be using it.

Thanks!

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kristovaher View Post
    Hey! I know that it's never a good idea to leave full or empty batteries just stay without use for too long. I don't use TF201 every day and I have it shut down when I don't use it, I am wondering how the battery should be managed and if any of you have any experiences with maintaining your previous devices, like TF101 or others, in similar conditions.
    I charge the device after use and then it stays that way a day or two without use due to me not having lectures or enough time off work to play with it. When I do play with it, I don't use more than 20% of battery life and then I dock it with keyboard again (which charges it again even if it is turned off, which is really nice).
    Are there any bad side effects of having the device powered off and not used for a day or two? Or letting the keyboard charge the device while it is powered off? Or leaving it in charged state for a few days?
    Since I cannot change the battery on TF201, I am super OCD about the battery situation to make sure it works properly throughout the ~2 years I'll be using it.
    Thanks!
    Battery usage has been one of the most popular topics in this forum. If you search "battery" you'll get five pages of long threads! From what I gather, with these newer type batteries it is not going to hurt anything to leave your TFP idle for a couple of days. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to even leave it in stand-by for that time. As far as I can discern, the most important thing to do to extend the life of the battery is to make sure that WiFi is turned off when your TFP is shut off or put in standby. Even better, have it go into airplane mode, lots of users have Auto Airplane Mode (by Don). When I first got my TF, I read that you should let the charge go down to 20% before charging it. Now it seems that 50% is the new goal. I think the bottom line is, it probably doesn't really matter. Someone who seemed to know lots about batteries told me that he just keeps his devices charging when he isn't using them.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Yeah I know that there are a number of threads about batteries and I've read through most of them. Problem is that TF201 is a special puppy, since its dock recharges the tablet even when tablet is shut off. It's not recomended to keep the battery 'full' nor 'empty' and problem with TF201 is that it keeps tablet full or drains the dock while keeping tablet full, even if tablet is shut down.

I am just wondering if this behavior is bad for battery life in the long run if I don't use it for a few days (I certainly won't keep it 'on' for days and not use it, this will certainly make it go through more recharge cycles in the long run).

It's basically question about which is worse, going through definite amount of recharge cycles quicker because it is on and needs to be charged every now and then or letting it shut down and used when needed like a laptop.

Maybe I'm thinking too much and it doesn't really matter, but it just made me curious since I never had TF101, so I can't really rely on that experience.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Under settings ASUS customized settings make certain battery saving is ticked at the bottom of that screen You may be over analyzing the issue just a tad but I don't think you are risking doing damage to the battery.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kristovaher View Post
    Problem is that TF201 is a special puppy, since its dock recharges the tablet even when tablet is shut off. It's not recomended to keep the battery 'full' nor 'empty' and problem with TF201 is that it keeps tablet full or drains the dock while keeping tablet full, even if tablet is shut down. I am just wondering if this behavior is bad for battery life in the long run if I don't use it for a few days (I certainly won't keep it 'on' for days and not use it, this will certainly make it go through more recharge cycles in the long run). It's basically question about which is worse, going through definite amount of recharge cycles quicker because it is on and needs to be charged every now and then or letting it shut down and used when needed like a laptop.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the 101 works exactly like the 201 in regards to the tablet/dock battery charging. When I first got my TF, I was just as obsessed with "doing the right thing" concerning the battery, but after lots of reading the various theories I am resigned to using auto-airplane mode and have faith that the battery gods will be kind to me!

Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The charging/discharging/dual battery behaviour logic has changed substantially with the Prime, compared to how it worked on it's predecessor. On the TF101, there were several firmware revisions, and a couple of times when the dock became a major pain, as it would discharge heavily on idle/sleep. This was a firmware bug. It was unrelated, to my knowledge to another "growing pain" that occurred with early units. I do not want to incorrectly quote serial numbers affected, but those that are currions can search the TF101 threads on battery drain to see what I am referring to. For continuity, let me at least provide the major sticking points folks ran up against. (I didn't enter the fray until they were up to B70 serial numbers. While not affected by keyboard issue, I was doomed to wait many months for root.)

Early TF101 Keyboards had a hardware revision that would not allow then to be toggled with: "Mobile Dock Battery Saving Mode" - A function that disabled the wake up function of the dock to save power in sleep mode. Essentially, these docks would always be in the "wake from sleep" mode, regardless of the setting. Asus replaced the chipset in these if people were willing to RMA the dock.

Dock Firmware 0213 seemed to resolve the last vestiges of issues with docks draining out quickly. When I sold my OG, this was what was on it, and both the tablet and dock had excellent battery life.

The dual battery discharge behavior was MUCH simpler on the TF101. Basically when paired, the dock always deferred to the tablet, 100% of the time it would drain all the way (or to within 1-2% or empty) before the tablet would begin discharging. The logic was obvious. Without a charge on the battery, you weren't going to do anything. I found this to be very reliable, but often wondered about the efficiency of a battery charging another, like sized battery, and how much was lost in the process as heat. Certainly it worked, but peaked my curiosity as to how "lossy" the method was, and what advantages and/or issues are inherent in this type of design.

The Prime, interestingly enough has a rather specific discharge/charge logic, and it is anything BUT simple. From my observations, it has "plateaus" designed in, meanin it will drain one batter to x %, the switch to draining the partner battery, then switch back. I have yet to map it out completely. Perhaps as a group we could document the specific parameters that Asus has coded here.

This is what mine has done since adding the dock 3 days after getting the tablet:

1. When starting with both batteries at 100%, the prime starts draining at the Dock first, and will run it down to 70%. At this point it starts draining the Tablet. It will do so until the Tablet is somewhere in the 70-80 % charged area (I keep missing the switch-over, LOL!) This "back & forth" discharging behavior continues, until the dock is drained, and it goes ALL THE WAY TO 0%. (something deemed nit great for Lithium batteries, I believe, but understandable why they programmed it for that kind of efficiency)

2. When charging, it appears to run the battery it is working on (looks to be based on which battery is more discharged, but if so, I suspect it would not choose based on a single percent or so, but in larger increments of 10% or more)

3. This behavior makes sense, depending on which camp you are in as explained by the thread OP. With my old rig, I would pull it off the charger, take it to work, and most days, would run down ONLY the dock battery. Occasionally with heavier use, I would touch perhaps 6-10% of the battery on the Tablet. THAT was okay, but the days where the Tablet sat at 97-99% (would not stay at 100% due to some inefficiency perhaps, I did not like the idea that I was "using" only one of the batteries, and would have liked some control, such as you have in Old Jaguars with twin gas tanks. A simple switch to choose your power supply source. Sigh.

I reposted here, as I thought it relevant, See the original thread here:

Asus Transformer Prime Battery Preservation and Best Practices

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    The charging/discharging/dual battery behaviour logic has changed substantially with the Prime, compared to how it worked on it's predecessor.
    If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, I stand corrected. I only have the 101 and I'm not as well versed (as I should be, being a Mod!) on the Primes battery. You live and you learn!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Great post Smartassphone. I too am most curious about this running-down-to-0% thing. I wonder if it only shows us 0% and is actually a bit above 0% to protect from this type of damage when staying that way for a while until charged again.

It's a smarter charging in TF201, this type of charging makes sure that at an average, TF201 dock and tablet should both be at states between 0% and 100% than TF101, where it is more common for dock to be 0% and tablet to be 100% for longer time. I am glad about this change.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links